Visa Extension CAS/DES Applications FAQs


Where do I get a CAS extension application form?

You can get this form from the Graduate School office or the  webpage.


When should I complete the CAS extension application form?

Check the expiry date of your current visa and complete your CAS extension application well in advance of this date.

As a guideline, you may want to submit your visa extension application to the Graduate School approximately four months in advance. 

More information about CAS applications and visas cans be found on the Visa extensions webpage. 

Where do I bring my completed CAS extension application?

Complete the CAS Extension Application form (MS Word) and submit it to the Graduate School office for approval.

You must also bring your current passport and visa and any previous passport (if it includes your current visa) so that we can photocopy and verify the information. The Graduate School will then confirm your study details with the Admissions Team. The Admissions Team issue the CAS.

If you intend to apply for your visa outside of the UK, please inform the Graduate School of the exact date of when you intend to return the UK.

What happens after I submit my CAS application to the Graduate School?

The Graduate School approves the application and then send the details to the PGR Admissions Team. The PGR Admissions team are based in the External Relations office. 

The Admissions Team process the application and will then email a draft CAS form for you to review. 


What is a DES?

The Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) allows for students who are completing their PhD course to apply to stay in the UK for a further 12 months beyond the end of their course. This allows them time to find skilled work or to gain further experience in their chosen field. 

The DES comes under the Tier 4 immigration category.

How do I apply for a DES?

Complete the DES Application form (MS Word) and return it to the Graduate School office.

Before submitting the form, ensure that you meet the Doctorate Extension Scheme eligibility criteria.This information is outlined in Working in the UK after study.

Further DES information

For further information on DES including eligibility and guidelines, please visit the International student support & visa  web pages under Working in the UK after study.