Application process FAQ's

When can I apply for accommodation?

You may apply for accommodation once you have been notified by one of the University's schools that you have been made an offer for a course of study at the University of Glasgow - whether conditionally or unconditionally and you have accepted that offer.

We open applications in February of each year for entry into accommodation in September. All applicants are advised to submit an application as soon as possible after firmly accepting a course offer but certainly by 22nd August of your intended year of entry which is our Accommodation Guarantee deadline date. All applications are dealt with in the date order in which they are received by Accommodation Services.

Am I guaranteed accommodation?

Please refer to the University's Admissions Policy for full details.

Generally, if you are studying for the whole academic year in your first year of study, have firmly accepted an unconditional offer, or met the conditions of a conditional offer from the University of Glasgow and have submitted your application for residence before the 22nd August, then you are guaranteed accommodation.

What happens if I do not have a UCAS Number or Application Code?

Students who do not yet have a UCAS Number, Application Code (for non-UCAS applications) or MyCampus number are unable to use the online application system as this code is used to authenticate the student and their academic status.

Can I apply if Glasgow is my Insurance Choice?

No, as we only accept applications for accommodation from students who have indicated that they are definitely coming to study at the University of Glasgow and our accommodation system does not hold student records with an insurance status.

If you eventually decide to come to Glasgow, your study status will be updated to either Unconditional Firm or Conditional Firm and at that stage your student record will be imported into the accommodation system thereby allowing you to apply for accommodation. Please note that it can take up to 72 hours from the time that you firmly accept your offer of study before your record is imported into our accommodation system. Furthermore, you will not be allocated and offered accommodation until your study status becomes Unconditional Firm.

I live within commuting distance of the University, what are my chances of being offered University accommodation?

If you currently live within reasonable commuting distance of the University but would like to live in University halls you can apply for accommodation as soon as you have firmly accepted your offer of study.

Please refer to the University's Admissions Policy for full details.

When will I receive an offer of accommodation?

Our allocations process normally begins in mid-April when we offer out accommodation to those applicants who have firmly accepted an Unconditional Firm course offer.

For students with conditional offers that successfully become unconditional offers, the Allocations Team process these applications shortly after Higher & A Level results are published.

Am I guaranteed my preferred Halls of Residence?

There is generally far greater demand for places in residential accommodation than there are places available, therefore it is not possible to offer every student their preferred choice.

Can I share with my friends?

If you wish to share with, or be close to friends you must clearly specify this requirement on the online application form in the section Additional Information. The friend(s) you wish to share with should do the same on their application(s).

How are students grouped in shared accommodation?

We take account of age, gender and course in order to place students near to others with similar interests.

Can I request single or mixed sex accommodation?

Should single sex accommodation be requested at application stage, this will be guaranteed. A limited amount of mixed sex accommodation is available. If this is important to you, please provide additional information on the appropriate section of the application.

I am a disabled student will my accommodation needs be met?

We have a wide range of accommodation for students with disabilities. Please state the nature and degree of your disability when applying, to assist us in allocating suitable accommodation. Further information can be found in Residential Service's Equality and Accessibility Statement. Support is available in many ways within the University, which can be provided upon request and all disabled students are invited to register with the Student Disability Service as soon as possible.

How long can I stay in my accommodation?

You will sign an agreement for approximately 39 weeks (273 days), which covers both Christmas and Easter holidays. If the academic year of your course exceeds 39 weeks you may be able to extend your contract accordingly, subject to availability.

Further details are available on request from Accommodation Services. You may however need to move to another room and the prevailing rates applicable to the period of stay will be charged.

Should you require accommodation over the summer break, this can be arranged subject to availability, but again you may need to move to another room.

What if I am studying at Glasgow for only part of the full Academic Year e.g. Exchange students?

The policy on allocating places favours those students who are studying for a full University of Glasgow degree. Consequently, students studying for part of the year will only be offered accommodation if there are places available.

If I have a medical condition which will have a bearing on my allocation, will this be taken into account?

Yes; please give details on the online application form and send a separate sheet, substantiated with a medical certificate or letter from your GP where possible, to Accommodation Services.

It is very important that any such condition is declared as early as possible, in order to avoid the most suitable type of allocation becoming full before we are aware of your needs.

Can I view my accommodation before I move in?

Yes, the University holds Open Days and Offer Holders Day which provide an opportunity to visit a cross section of accommodation. Visits can also be arranged outwith these dates by contacting Accommodation Services.

How do I pay my accommodation fees?

On accepting an offer of accommodation, students pay a one-off prepayment of £600 by credit or debit card.

The remaining balance must be paid through your MyCampus account. You may pay in instalments via a UK bank account (Direct Debit) or by credit card (manual payment plan).

For information on payment of fees go to Manage Your Finances at:

Can I reapply to stay in residence for a subsequent year?

Please refer to our Admissions policy for further details.

I am a later year undergraduate and have not stayed in residence before, will I be offered accommodation?

Please refer to to our Admissions policy for further details.

When will I be able to move into the accommodation?

Full details of times and dates of arrival are available on our Halls of residence arrival information & frequently asked questions page.

Does the University make accommodation provision for young people leaving care?

The University recognises that accommodation is particularly important for young people who are looked after or leaving care. At the University of Glasgow, we shall endeavour to offer care leavers 365 day a year accommodation for the duration of their studies.

For more information about what accommodation you may be entitled to, visit the Supporting care leavers section of the University website.