Dr Neil Munro
- Senior Lecturer in Chinese Politics (Politics)
Neil Munro holds a BA (combined honours) in Chinese and Russian (Queensland, 1990) and a PhD in public policy from University of Strathclyde (2004). He has a comparative interest in participation in governance in post-communist and developing societies. He has published on a wide range of themes ranging from acceptance of bureaucratic norms through national identity, participation, regime legitimacy and social cohesion. His current research focuses on these and other issues in relation to social and environmental policies in China and Tanzania.
Munro, N. (2020) Explaining public participation in environmental governance in China. Environmental Values, (doi: 10.3197/096327120X15868540131314) (Early Online Publication)
Munro, N. (2018) Does refusal bias influence the measurement of Chinese political trust? Journal of Contemporary China, 27(111), pp. 457-471. (doi: 10.1080/10670564.2018.1410981)
Munro, N. and Kweka, O. (2018) Social Accountability for Safe and Sustainable Domestic Water Provision in Dar es Salaam and Morogoro. Project Report. University of Glasgow and University of Dar es Salaam.
Munro, N. (2017) Predictors of support for state for state social welfare provision in Russia and China. Europe-Asia Studies, 69(1), pp. 53-75. (doi: 10.1080/09668136.2016.1265643)
Duckett, J. , Hunt, K. , Munro, N. and Sutton, M. (2016) Does distrust in providers affect health-care utilization in China? Health Policy and Planning, 31(8), pp. 1001-1009. (doi: 10.1093/heapol/czw024) (PMID:27117483) (PMCID:PMC5013779)
Munro, N. and Duckett, J. (2016) Explaining public satisfaction with health care systems: findings from a nationwide survey in China. Health Expectations, 19(3), pp. 654-666. (doi: 10.1111/hex.12429) (PMID:26595456) (PMCID:PMC4991297)
Munro, N. (2014) Profiling the victims: public awareness of pollution-related harm in China. Journal of Contemporary China, 23(86), pp. 314-329. (doi: 10.1080/10670564.2013.832532)
Munro, N. (2013) The socio-political bases of willingness to join environmental NGOs in China: a study in social cohesion. International Journal of Social Quality, 3(1), pp. 57-81. (doi: 10.3167/IJSQ.2013.030105)
Munro, N. (2012) Connections, paperwork or passivity: strategies of popular engagement with the Chinese bureaucracy. China Journal, 68, pp. 147-176. (doi: 10.1086/666576)
- Scottish Funding Council grant (SFC/AN/12/2017) Social Accountability for Sustainable Domestic Water in Dar es Salaam. September 2017-March 2018. Principal Investigator with Co-Investigators Nai Rui Chng, Marian Scott, Claire Miller, William Sloan and Stephanie Connelly (all Glasgow). £49,992.
- ESRC grant (ES/J011487/1) Performance evaluations, trust and utilization of health care in China: understanding relationships between attitudes and health-related behaviour. March 201--February 2015. Co-Investigator with Jane Duckett (PI, Glasgow), Kate Hunt (Glasgow) and Matt Sutton (Manchester). £508,678.
- ESRC grant (ES/J012688/1) Rising Powers: unequal powers, authoritarian powers, unstable powers? September 2012--August 2015. Co-Investigator with Stephen White (PI, Glasgow), Jane Duckett (Glasgow) and Ian McAllister (ANU). £574,174.
- EU-China Environmental Governance Programme, Public participation of environmental governance in the Jiaxing model and its applicability in Zhejiang province. October 2012--September 2014. Consultant with Wei YU (PI, Zhejiang Provincial Government), Laurence Van Der Maesen (European Foundation for Social Quality), Hinrich Voss (Leeds), and Ka LIN (Zhejiang University). €420,000, of which €25,000 to U. Glasgow.
- Chau, Wai Fong
Rich Chinese Migration
- Deng, Yajun
Government policy, media coverage, and public understanding of climate change in China
- Gardner, Paul
Information control and Party-state legitimacy in China
- Stanton, Alasdair
Hierarchy in the Chinese Party-state
- Yi, Duanyi
Chinese Nuclear Strategy: Characteristic Nuclear Belief
- Yu, Dingming
Audience Response to Chinese Media Coverage of Climate Change: Impacts on Attitude and Behaviour?
- Chinese Politics
- China's International Relations
- China's International Politics
Presenter & Co-organizer, Global think-shop and collaborative planning forum on Strengthening research, knowledge and practice for accountability on water, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 27th- 29th March 2018
Presenter, International workshop on "International experience of public participation in environmental protection and local practice in Zhejiang Province", Hangzhou and Jiaxing, China, 31 October to 1 November, 2013.
Presenter, China’s Health Reforms after Four Years: Public Evaluations Workshop, Peking University, Beijing, China, 16 September 2013.
Keynote speech, "Violence towards healthcare professionals: an assessment of causes, frequency, prevention and solutions", University of Chicago Center, Beijing, 17-18 Septemberi 2013.
Europe-China Research and Advice Network (ECRAN) Short Paper "Patterns of China-Russia Cooperation in Multilateral Forums," January 2012.
Briefing paper for Scottish Government for on Human Rights in China, November 2011 (with J. Duckett)