Dr Myrto Tsakatika
- Senior Lecturer (Politics)
Office Hours: Thursday 12-1 pm and Friday 1-2 pm
Myrto Tsakatika (PhD Essex) joined Politics in 2007 as Lecturer in European politics. She has also taught at the Athens University of Economics and has held visiting positions at the University of Trieste and the Juan March Foundation in Madrid. Myrto’s research has focused on European Union politics and public policy, namely on the question of the ‘democratic ‘deficit’, trends in public Euroscepticism and new governance modes. More recently she has worked on radical left parties in comparative perspective, particularly in Southern Europe (Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain).
- European Union institutions and governance
- Politics of economic and social policy
- Southern European politics
- Radical left parties
- The Greek and Portuguese left on European Integration: organization, strategy, ideology
Carnegie Trust - £1,420. April 2010
- The weakest link: changing patterns of party competition and the politics of protest in Southern Europe Caledonian Research Foundation/Royal Society of Edinburgh Visiting Research Fellowship - £2,000. February 2012
Current PhD students
Giannis Vassilopoulos, ‘Organised Interests and European Integration: the course of Greek business towards the EEC'
Petar Bankov, The electoral performance of Radical Left Parties: the role of party organisation at sub-national level'
Wanpat Youngmevittaya, 'A Critical Reflection on Michael J. Sandel: Rethinking Communitarianism and the Politics of the Common Good'
Michael Scanlan, 'From El Congresso to Βουλή των Ελλήνων. How inclusive populism developed from being a Latin American phenomenon to fixture of European politics'
Ekaterina Tolstukha, 'The democratic deficit of the European Union revisited. A dynamic network analysis of the Institutional Reform Debate in the EU'
Recent PhD students
David A. Alexander, The Sources of Committee Influence in the European Parliament
Matthias Dapprich, The Historical Development of West Germany's New Left with particular empasis on the Marxistische Gruppe and the K-Gruppen
- The Politics of the European Union
- The Politics of the Left in Europe
- The Politics of Southern Europe
- Deputy Head of Politics (Student Affairs)
- Careers Officer