Dr Gareth James
- Knowledge Exchange Associate (Urban Studies)
I joined the University of Glasgow in 2017 as Knowledge Exchange Associate for the UK Collaborative Centre for Housing Evidence (CaCHE). In addition to managing knowledge exchange and impact across a number of CaCHE projects, I coordinate the Centre's knowledge exchange activities, more broadly, across Scotland.
I have contributed to teaching and the supervision of students in the Division of Urban Studies and I represent research-only staff on the Urban Studies Management Group.
Prior to joining UofG, I taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses in (African) politics and research methods at the universities of Edinburgh and Newcastle. I am an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and former Managing Editor of the British Journal of Politics and International Relations.
My doctoral thesis examined livelihoods after land reform in Zimbabwe. As a member of the Zimbabwe Rural Households Dynamics Study (ZRHDS) team, I surveyed over 700 rural households and interviewed 150 small-scale farmers to generate insights into the impact of radical land redistribution on household welfare.
- Ph.D. African Studies, Univeristy of Edinburgh
- M.Sc. (by research) African Studies, University of Edinburgh
- B.A. Hons, Social Science (Politics & Economics), Glasgow Caledonian University
- Urban and rural land reform and redistribution
- Rural-urban-rural flows of people and products
- Land inequality and economic growth
- Urban and rural livelihoods
- Globalisation, poverty and development
- Knowledge exchange and policy impact
- Research methods and methodologies
Paying for Public Policy 2017/18
Understanding Housing Markets 2018/19