Dr Katarzyna Kowal
- Lecturer (Mathematics)
I am an applied mathematician interested in the mathematical modelling and analysis of a broad range of industrial, environmental and geophysical processes.
I am currently looking for PhD students.
Possible PhD projects involve mathematical modelling and analysis (theoretical/computational) of various geophysical, industrial or environmental phenomena, including, for example:
- Ice sheet dynamics (the fluid mechanics of ice sheets, subglacial processes, including basal lubrication, ice-ocean interactions, ice sheet stability)
- Viscous fingering instabilities
- The fluid mechanics of additive manufacturing/3D printing (thermocapillary effects, rapid solidification)
- Fluid-structure interaction
- Thin-film flow
- Thermocapillary convection
- Flows involving phase change (solidification of fluids, morphological instabilities)
Prospective applicants should contact me at email@example.com to discuss possibilities.