Ferhat Ercümen is a PhD Candidate in International Law at the University of Glasgow. After his LLB at Galatasaray University, he accomplished his Masters in International law at the Graduate Institute Geneva with a thesis on the exploration and exploitation of the undelimited exclusive economic zone and continental shelf areas. Now, he is pursuing his PhD on military use of the foreign exclusive economic zone and continental shelf.
During his LLB and Masters, he has participated multiple international summer and winter schools on various subjects of international law. Beside his studies, he has also been active in extracurricular works. He is a member of the Istanbul Centre of International Law (icil.org.tr), a non-profit student initiative which he founded with his friends during his LLB. At ICIL, he has been giving International Law courses in English (Refugee Law, Law of the Sea and International Humanitarian Law) and mentoring young law students voluntarily. Under the auspices of ICIL, he has taken part in organising several international summer and winter schools on diverse subfields of International law where he has given lectures too.
Following his Masters thesis on the exploration and exploitation of undelimited maritime areas, he decided to conduct a PhD research on the international legal regime regulating the military use of the foreign exclusive economic zone and continental shelf. His main area of interests are as follows: Public International Law, Law of the Sea, Maritime Delimitation, Maritime Security, International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law, Refuge Law, Energy Law.
- 2015, Voluntary lecturer of Public International Law and International Humanitarian Law for six weeks long International Law Formation in English at ICIL
- 2015-2016, Voluntary lecturer of Public International Law and Refugee Law for a year long International Law Formation in English at ICIL
- 2016, Lecturer of Jurisprudence of International Tribunals Class in English at ICIL
- 2017, Lecturer of International Humanitarian Law Class in English at ICIL
- 2017, Lecture on Statelessness and IDPs at International Refugee Law Winter School in Istanbul
- 2018, Lecture on Statelessness and IDPs at International Refugee Law Winter School in Istanbul
- 2018, Lecture on Exploitation of Disputed Maritime Zones at International Law of the Sea Summer School in Istanbul
- 2011, Valedictorian Student
- 2011, Top scoring student at the nationwide university entrance exams among 1.6 million candidates
- 2011, Prime Ministry’s “the Best 100” Scholarship for being among the best 100 students in Turkey
- 2011, in the 87th year of the Türkiye İş Bankası, awarded with a scholarship for being among the best 87 students in Turkey
- 2016, one of the best three orators in Jean Pictet International Humanitarian Law Competition (French Section)
- 2017, The Graduate Institute Scholarship
- 2018, Turkish Ministry of National Education’s Abroad Post Graduate Research Scholarship