Dr Catriona M M Macdonald
- Reader in Late Modern Scottish history (History)
Dr Macdonald was appointed as Reader in Late Modern Scottish History in October 2011.
- Socio-political and cultural history of Scotland from 1832.
- Scottish Studies: interdisciplinary studies of late-modern Scottish society and culture (principally literature).
- Evolution of Scottish Historiography after 1832
- Scottish political poetry
- Heritage and history in a Scottish context
- History of student politics in Scotland 1886-1997
I am pleased to supervise research projects that fall broadly within my areas of research expertise, namely the socio-political history of Scotland from 1707; Scottish historiography; Scottish cultural studies since 1832.
I have successfully supervised and examined in the following areas: Scottish cultural history; history of professionalization; welfare; C20th military history; the modern Scottish novel; C20th Highland history.
I am currently supervising projects in the following areas:
- inter-war Scottish capitalism;
- R.B. Cunningham Graham;
- Highland and Irish communities in urban Scotland – a comparative study.
- With National Museums of Scoltand: 'Collecting the Nation'
I currently teach on History 1A (Scotland’s Millenium: Kingdom, Union and Nation, 1000-1999), and supervise undergraduate dissertation students specialising in modern Scottish history.
I convene Honours courses in modern Scottish socio-political history and Scottish e/im/migration and co-ordinate the provision of JYA courses in Scottish studies. A current interest is the development of on-line learning resources in the same area for distance learning students.
At Masters level I supervise dissertations for MLitt History and MLitt Scottish History students, and teach on courses such as Issues and Ideologies in Modern Scotland. I also teach with colleagues in Scottish Literature on the Memorialising Scottish Culture (Hons) course and am part of the team developing and teaching the Robert Burns ONLINE MOOC and BOLD online courses.
If you have an interest in CPD courses in the area of modern Scottish history and culture, please get in touch. I have expertise in this area, and am happy to talk through a range of options that are available.
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
- Fellow of Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
- Scottish History Book of the Year Judge (Saltire Society).
- Member, editorial advisory board: Scottish Affairs, History Scotland, Statistical Accounts Online.
- Trustee, National Museums of Scotland.
- Head of Scottish History, School of Humanities.
- Convener of Teaching and Learning, History.