Dr Zhiwei Gao
- Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering (Infrastructure & Environment)
- 2009 - 2012: PhD in Geotechnical Enginering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong SAR, China
- 2006 - 2009: Master in Civil Engineering with first honours, Beihang University, Beijing, China
- 2002 - 2006: Bachelor in Civil Engineering with first honours, Beihang University, Beijing, China
- July 2013 - present: Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering, Infrastructure and Environment Research Division, School of Engineering, University of Glasgow
- September 2012 - June 2013: Post-doc Fellow, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technolog
Zhiwei's current research interests cover the following areas:
- Micromechanics of granular materials and the discrete element modelling
- Micromechanics-based constitutive modelling of granular materials
- Experimental investigation of the behaviour of fibre-reinforced sand in cyclic loading
- Numerical analysis of geotechnical problems with advanced constitutive models
- Numerical analysis of the thermo-mechanical behaviour of soils
For more about my research, please visit my personal website: http://userweb.eng.gla.ac.uk/zhiwei.gao/
Gao, Z. , Zhao, J., Li, X.-S. and Dafalias, Y. F. (2014) A critical state sand plasticity model accounting for fabric evolution. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 38(4), pp. 370-390. (doi:10.1002/nag.2211)
- 2015-2017: Development of a more robust and cost-efficient rockfall catch fence design. Funded by Knowledge Transfer Partnership of Innovate UK and QTS Group Ltd (https://www.qtsgroup.com/). FEC: £170,000.
- 2017-2018: Smart fences-Development of a condition monitoring system (CMS) for rockfall catch fences. Funded by Construction Scotland Innovation Centre and QTS Group Ltd (https://www.qtsgroup.com/). FEC: £51,000+£40,000 additional industrial contribution.
I am always looking for opportunities to work with self-motivated students, post-doctoral researchers and visiting scholars.
For more about my research and projects, please visit my personal website: http://userweb.eng.gla.ac.uk/zhiwei.gao/
- ENG4072: Ground Engineering 4: This is a course for BEng, MEng and MSc students. The main content includes: finite element modelling in ground engineering, time-dependent soil response and basic knowledge of unsaturated soil mechanics.
- ENG4188: Geotechnical Design Project 4: This design project is for MEng students. It is based on a brief for a road embankment and bridge abutments on soft clay, with the embankment height varying across the site, ground conditions based on real site investigation data and various other site constraints. Students work in groups and consider the behaviour of the embankment firstly with no ground improvement and secondly with various forms of ground improvement, with the objective of developing a design for the embankment and the bridge abutments.