Professor William Sloan
- Professor of Environmental Engineering (Infrastructure & Environment)
- Engineered biological systems.
- Mathematical modelling of microbial communities.
- Off-grid water technolgies.
Ramanan, B., Holmes, W.M. , Sloan, W.T. and Phoenix, V.R. (2012) Investigation of nanoparticle transport inside coarse-grained geological media using magnetic resonance imaging. Environmental Science and Technology, 46(1), pp. 360-366. (doi: 10.1021/es2012726)
Ofiteru, I.D., Lunn, M., Curtis, T.P., Wells, G.F., Criddle, C.S., Francis, C.A. and Sloan, W.T. (2010) Combined niche and neutral effects in a microbial wastewater treatment community. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 107(35), pp. 15345-15350. (doi: 10.1073/pnas.1000604107)
- EP/P029329/1. Optimising decentralised low-cost wastewater infrastructure by managing the microbes. PI. £1.2M 2017-2020.
- BBSRC A microbial basis for Atlantic Salmon energetics. Co-I £587K 2017-2020.
- Predatory bacterial cleaning of filtration membranes. PI. £55K. 2018 – 2022.
- Anonymous Donor. Spread of antimicrobial resistance from off-grid sanitation. PI £241K. 2018-2022.
- EP/K038885/1. Sustainable water technologies for rural communities. PI £50K. 2014-2020.
- Scottish Water. Optimising a novel biofiltration system for rural communities. Co-I £250K 2018-2022.
- Simulating in vitro Atlantic salmon intestinal microbiome system. Co-I £360K. 2017-2020
- Scottish Government. Decentralised wastewater treatment - global innovation for sustainable rural communities. PI. £15K. 2020-2021.
- EP/K038885/1. Frontier Engineering. Synthetic biology applications to water supply and remediation. PI. £5.2M 2013-2019
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). EP/H009604/1 Predicting the acclimitisation of a microbial community in a wastewater treatment plant. PI. 2010-2013. £868K- GU portion £182K.
- EPSRC SUPERGEN. EP/H019480/1 Biological Fuel Cell Consortium (Phase 2). PI. 2010 – 2014. £2.9M- GU portion £244K.
- EP/G028443/1 Magnetic resonance imaging of biofilm mass transport processes with gadolinium tracers. Co-I. 2009-2012. £900K.
- EPSRC Platform Grant. EP/F007868/1 General and Unifying Concepts in Wastewater Treatment Design. PI 2008-2013. £900K –GU portion £182K.
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship. EP/D073693/1 PI. 2007-2012. £518K.
- EPSRC Cross Disciplinary Feasibility Account. EP/H024603/1 Bug-free prostheses: Reducing infection risk and improving reliability. Co-I. 2009-2012. £249K.
- EU COST ES 1103. Action, Microbial ecology and the earth system: collaboration for insight and success with the new generation of sequencing tools. Co-I. 2012-2014. €480K
- Scottish Water. Development of an early event prediction and correction framework for the microbial management in drinking water system. 2012-2016. £30K
- Unilever Plc. GU 30301000. The human skin microbiome project. PI. 2013-2018. £536K.
- EP/D047943/1. The SUPERGEN Biological Fuel Cells Consortium. PI. 2006–2010. £2.1M. UoG portion £195,825.
- NERC NE/D522211/1. COMIX-Coupling biofilm diversity and ecosystem functioning: The role of communication and mixing in microbial landscapes. PI. 2006-2009. €121,110 UoG portion £150,249.
- European Centre for Arctic Environmental Research (ARCFAC) funded expedition to explore the microbial diversity of Arctic. Co-I £30K
- EPSRC GR/S67128/01. Enhancement of Biological Treatment of Contaminated Waters by Increasing Microbial Diversity (BIOENHAN). PI 2004-2007. £800K, UoG portion £44,895.
- EP/F013337/1. Environmental Engineers of Tomorrow: Developing A Shared Tool Box Through Collaboration. 2007-2008. Co-I £144,078.
- EP/H024603/1 2009-2011. Bug-free prostheses: Reducing infection risk and improving reliability. Co-I £201K.
- European Science Foundation. Mathematical modeling of microbial communities. PI 2007. £25K.
- NER/T/S/2002/00166. Scale dependent modelling of microbial communities. PI 2002-2003. £46K.
Current PhD Students
- Fabien Cholet. 2016 – continuing. EPSRC DTA
- Steve Joyce. 2018 – continuing. Scottish Water
- Ayo Ogundero. 2017 – continuing. IBIOIC and Scottish Water.
- George Knox. 2015 – continuing. Alumni donation.
- Mellissa Moore 2018 – continuing. EPSRC DTA.
- Valentine Okonkwo 2018 – continuing. Anonymous donor.
- Linghui Shi 2018 - continuing. Anonymous donor.
- Claire Thom 2018 – continuing. Scottish Water
- Vironika Bahat 2019 – continuing. Indonesian Government Scholarship.
Previous PhD Students
- Anne Ruengoat. 2002-2005. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Oct 2005. Producer & Dance Choreographer, Santiago, Chile.
- Lindsay Beevers. 2000-2004. EPSRC studentship. Awarded PhD Oct 2004. Currently a Professor in Civil Engineering at Heriot Watt University.
- Stephen Woodcock. 2004-2007. EPSRC Scholarship. Awarded PhD Nov 2007. Currently a Associate Professor in Statistics at the Technical University of Sydney, Australia.
- Baheerathan Ramanan. 2007-2011. Lord Kelvin-Adam Smith Studentship. Awarded PhD Sept 2011. Currently working as Environmental Engineer with BMT consultants, Australia.
- Elisa Vignaga. 2009-2013. GRPE Scholarship. Awarded PhD June 2013. Now in Scottish Water Senior Engineer.
- Melanie Schirmer. 2010-2014. Unilever Studentship. Supervision load 50%. Awarded PhD Sept 2014. Now postdoc at MIT
- Douglas Bertram. 2007-2011. Awarded PhD Dec 2014. Currently a Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering at Strathclyde University
- Douglas Pender. 2009-2013. EPSRC studentship. Awarded PhD June 2013. Regional manager Senior Engineer JBM consultants.
- Marnie Norris. 2010-2014. Lord Kelvin-Adam Smith Studentship. Awarded PhD May 2014. Environmental Engineering consultant, USA.
- James Minto. 2008-2012. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Oct 2014. Lecturer & Chancellor’s Fellow, Strathclyde University.
- 2010-2014. Siding Luo. EPSRC Studentship. Awarded PhD Nov 2014. Now Academic Partnership Manager - Global Business College of Australia.
- Ian Bentley. 2009 -2013. Awarded PhD Nov 2015. Engineering Consultant.
- Chioma Frances Naji. 2011-2014. EPSRC Studentship. Awarded PhD July 2015. Engineering Consultant.
- Kazi Hassan. 2011-2014. NERC Studentship. Awarded PhD June 2016. Researcher University of Manchester.
- Ben Nicholas. 2010-2014. Unilever-BBSRC Case Studentship. Awarded PhD July 205. Researcher @ Glasgow in Infection and Immunity.
- Stephanie Connolly. 2011-2015. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Nov 2016. Lecturer in Infrastructure and Environment @ University of Glasgow.
- Eriyli Tsagkari. 2013-2017. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Sept 2017. PDRA @ University of Glasgow.
- Quyen Melina Bautista De Los Santos. 2012-2016. Scottish Water & James Watt. Awarded PhD Sept 2016. Researcher in University of Illinois.
Current Postdoctoral Research Assistants
- Dr Ciara Keating, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – continuing.
- Dr Neha Mahur, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
- Dr Richard Randle-Boggis, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
- Dr Erifiyli Tsagkari, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
Previous Postdoctoral Research Assistants
- Dr Stephen Woodcock EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2007-2012 – Professor in Statistics at the Technical University of Sydney AU.
- Dr Mary Lunn, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010-2014 - Lecturer in Statistics, University of Oxford.
- Dr Seung Taek Oh, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2007-2010 - Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Westminster.
- Dr Keith Harris, Unilever PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010-2013. – Postdoc in Statistics at Sheffield.
- Dr Joana Schroder, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2011-2013 – Postdoc in Oceanorgaphy, University of Exeter.
- Dr Jillian Couto, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010 – 2018. Entrepreneur (Responsible Innovation Consultancy)
- Dr Seung Gu Shin, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2011 – 2015. Lecturer. Department of Energy Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology (GNTECH), South Korea.
- Dr Stephanie Connelly, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – 2016. Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow.
- Dr Rungroch Sungthong, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – PDRA in MVLS.
- Dr Ciara Keating, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – continuing.
- Dr Matthieu Laronde Larretche, EPSRC , EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – PDRA University of Washington.
- Dr Lucille Challard, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – 2018. Associate Professor, University Montpellier.
- Dr Marta Vignola, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 –2018. RAEng Fellow @ Glasgow.
- Environmental Engineering I
- Fluid Mechanics II