Professor William Sloan
- Professor of Environmental Engineering (Infrastructure & Environment)
PhD in Civil Engineering (2000). University of Newcastle Upon Tyne.
P.G.C.E. in Mathematics (1991). University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, School of Education.
MSc Physical Oceanography (1987). University College of North Wales.
BSC (Hons) Mathematics (1986). Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
2020 - Royal Academy of Engineering Chair in Emerging Technologies
2007 – 2020 Professor of Environmental Engineering, University of Glasgow.
2007 – 2013 EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow, University of Glasgow.
2005 – 2006 Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow.
2002 – 2003 NERC Discipline Hopping Fellow, ICAPB, University of Edinburgh.
1999 – 2005 Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow.
1994 –1999 Hydraulic Modeller, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
1992 – 1994 Environmental Modeller, Institute of Hydrology, Wallingford.
1990 – 1992 Mathematics Teacher, Lord Lawson Academy, Birtley, County Durham.
1990 – 1990 Engineering Applications Programmer. Robertsons ERC, Marlow, Bucks
1989 – 1990 Engineering Software Controller, Sir William Halcrow and Partners Ltd, Swindon.
1987 – 1989 Teaching Company Assistant, Noble Denton Associates, London.
- Engineered biological systems.
- Mathematical modelling of microbial communities.
- Off-grid water technolgies.
- RAEng Chair in Emerging Technologies. PI. £2.7M 2020-2030
- EPSRC Programme grant in Decentralised Water Technologies. PI. £5.8M 2021-2026
- EP/P029329/1. Optimising decentralised low-cost wastewater infrastructure by managing the microbes. PI. £1.2M 2017-2021.
- BBSRC A microbial basis for Atlantic Salmon energetics. Co-I £587K 2017-2020.
- Predatory bacterial cleaning of filtration membranes. PI. £55K. 2018 – 2022.
- Anonymous Donor. Spread of antimicrobial resistance from off-grid sanitation. PI £241K. 2018-2022.
- EP/K038885/1. Sustainable water technologies for rural communities. PI £50K. 2014-2020.
- Scottish Water. Optimising a novel biofiltration system for rural communities. Co-I £250K 2018-2022.
- Simulating in vitro Atlantic salmon intestinal microbiome system. Co-I £360K. 2017-2020.
- EP/K038885/1. Frontier Engineering. Synthetic biology applications to water supply and remediation. PI. £5.2M 2013-2019
- Scottish Government. Decentralised wastewater treatment - global innovation for sustainable rural communities. PI. £15K. 2020-2021.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). EP/H009604/1 Predicting the acclimitisation of a microbial community in a wastewater treatment plant. PI. 2010-2013. £868K- GU portion £182K.
- EPSRC SUPERGEN. EP/H019480/1 Biological Fuel Cell Consortium (Phase 2). PI. 2010 – 2014. £2.9M- GU portion £244K.
- EP/G028443/1 Magnetic resonance imaging of biofilm mass transport processes with gadolinium tracers. Co-I. 2009-2012. £900K.
- EPSRC Platform Grant. EP/F007868/1 General and Unifying Concepts in Wastewater Treatment Design. PI 2008-2013. £900K –GU portion £182K.
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship. EP/D073693/1 PI. 2007-2012. £518K.
- EPSRC Cross Disciplinary Feasibility Account. EP/H024603/1 Bug-free prostheses: Reducing infection risk and improving reliability. Co-I. 2009-2012. £249K.
- EU COST ES 1103. Action, Microbial ecology and the earth system: collaboration for insight and success with the new generation of sequencing tools. Co-I. 2012-2014. €480K
- Scottish Water. Development of an early event prediction and correction framework for the microbial management in drinking water system. 2012-2016. £30K
- Unilever Plc. GU 30301000. The human skin microbiome project. PI. 2013-2018. £536K.
- EP/D047943/1. The SUPERGEN Biological Fuel Cells Consortium. PI. 2006–2010. £2.1M. UoG portion £195,825.
- NERC NE/D522211/1. COMIX-Coupling biofilm diversity and ecosystem functioning: The role of communication and mixing in microbial landscapes. PI. 2006-2009. €121,110 UoG portion £150,249.
- European Centre for Arctic Environmental Research (ARCFAC) funded expedition to explore the microbial diversity of Arctic. Co-I £30K
- EPSRC GR/S67128/01. Enhancement of Biological Treatment of Contaminated Waters by Increasing Microbial Diversity (BIOENHAN). PI 2004-2007. £800K, UoG portion £44,895.
- EP/F013337/1. Environmental Engineers of Tomorrow: Developing A Shared Tool Box Through Collaboration. 2007-2008. Co-I £144,078.
- EP/H024603/1 2009-2011. Bug-free prostheses: Reducing infection risk and improving reliability. Co-I £201K.
- European Science Foundation. Mathematical modeling of microbial communities. PI 2007. £25K.
- NER/T/S/2002/00166. Scale dependent modelling of microbial communities. PI 2002-2003. £46K.
Recruiting Phd students in:
Theoretical engineering biology; Microfluidics for high-thouput microbial ecology; Off-grid water biotechnologies and; water-systems engineering.
Current Postdoctoral Research Assistants
- Dr Ciara Keating, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – continuing.
- Dr Neha Mahur, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
- Dr Richard Randle-Boggis, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
- Dr Erifiyli Tsagkari, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – continuing.
Current PhD Students
- Steve Joyce. 2018 – continuing. Scottish Water
- Ayo Ogundero. 2017 – continuing. IBIOIC and Scottish Water.
- George Knox. 2015 – continuing. Alumni donation.
- Mellissa Moore 2018 – continuing. EPSRC DTA
- Valentine Okonkwo 2018 – continuing. Anonymous donor.
- Linghui Shi 2018 - continuing. Anonymous donor.
- Claire Thom 2018 – continuing. Scottish Water
- Vironika Bahat 2019 – continuing. Indonesian Scholarship.
- Alghafli, Khaled Ali Saif Mohammed
The Unintended Aquifer Recharge in Alain City in the United Arab of Emirates
Previous PhD Students
- Anne Ruengoat. 2002-2005. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Oct 2005. Producer & Dance Choreographer, Santiago, Chile.
- Lindsay Beevers. 2000-2004. EPSRC studentship. Awarded PhD Oct 2004. Currently a Professor in Civil Engineering at Heriot Watt University.
- Stephen Woodcock. 2004-2007. EPSRC Scholarship. Awarded PhD Nov 2007. Currently a Associate Professor in Statistics at the Technical University of Sydney, Australia.
- Baheerathan Ramanan. 2007-2011. Lord Kelvin-Adam Smith Studentship. Awarded PhD Sept 2011. Currently working as Environmental Engineer with BMT consultants, Australia.
- Elisa Vignaga. 2009-2013. GRPE Scholarship. Awarded PhD June 2013. Now in Scottish Water Senior Engineer.
- Melanie Schirmer. 2010-2014. Unilever Studentship. Supervision load 50%. Awarded PhD Sept 2014. Now postdoc at MIT
- Douglas Bertram. 2007-2011. Awarded PhD Dec 2014. Currently a Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering at Strathclyde University
- Douglas Pender. 2009-2013. EPSRC studentship. Awarded PhD June 2013. Regional manager Senior Engineer JBM consultants.
- Marnie Norris. 2010-2014. Lord Kelvin-Adam Smith Studentship. Awarded PhD May 2014. Environmental Engineering consultant, USA.
- James Minto. 2008-2012. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Oct 2014. Lecturer & Chancellor’s Fellow, Strathclyde University.
- 2010-2014. Siding Luo. EPSRC Studentship. Awarded PhD Nov 2014. Now Academic Partnership Manager - Global Business College of Australia.
- Ian Bentley. 2009 -2013. Awarded PhD Nov 2015. Engineering Consultant.
- Chioma Frances Naji. 2011-2014. EPSRC Studentship. Awarded PhD July 2015. Engineering Consultant.
- Kazi Hassan. 2011-2014. NERC Studentship. Awarded PhD June 2016. Researcher University of Manchester.
- Ben Nicholas. 2010-2014. Unilever-BBSRC Case Studentship. Awarded PhD July 205. Researcher @ Glasgow in Infection and Immunity.
- Stephanie Connolly. 2011-2015. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Nov 2016. Lecturer in Infrastructure and Environment @ University of Glasgow.
- Eriyli Tsagkari. 2013-2017. James Watt Scholarship. Awarded PhD Sept 2017. PDRA @ University of Glasgow.
- Quyen Melina Bautista De Los Santos. 2012-2016. Scottish Water & James Watt. Awarded PhD Sept 2016. Researcher in University of Illinois.
Previous Postdoctoral Research Assistants
- Dr Stephen Woodcock EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2007-2012 – Professor in Statistics at the Technical University of Sydney AU.
- Dr Mary Lunn, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010-2014 - Lecturer in Statistics, University of Oxford.
- Dr Seung Taek Oh, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2007-2010 - Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Westminster.
- Dr Keith Harris, Unilever PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010-2013. – Postdoc in Statistics at Sheffield.
- Dr Joana Schroder, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2011-2013 – Postdoc in Oceanorgaphy, University of Exeter.
- Dr Jillian Couto, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2010 – 2018. Entrepreneur (Responsible Innovation Consultancy)
- Dr Seung Gu Shin, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2011 – 2015. Lecturer. Department of Energy Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology (GNTECH), South Korea.
- Dr Stephanie Connelly, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – 2016. Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow.
- Dr Rungroch Sungthong, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – PDRA in MVLS.
- Dr Ciara Keating, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – continuing.
- Dr Matthieu Laronde Larretche, EPSRC , EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2015 – PDRA University of Washington.
- Dr Lucille Challard, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 – 2018. Associate Professor, University Montpellier.
- Dr Marta Vignola, EPSRC PostDoc @ Glasgow 2017 –2018. RAEng Fellow @ Glasgow.
- Environmental Engineering I
- Fluid Mechanics II