Dr Siming You
- Lecturer (Systems Power & Energy)
I am a Lecturer in the Division of Systems, Power and Energy within the School of Engineering since December 2017. Before joining the School, I worked as a Research Fellow at NUS (National University of Singapore) Environmental Research Institute (2015 - 2017). Likewise, I served as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Nanyang Technological University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2014 and 2015, respectively. I received my Ph.D. in Thermo-fluids from Nanyang Technological University in October 2014, and my BEng from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics in July 2008. I am now an editorial board member of the Journal of Hazardous Materials.
My recent articles in Science:
My current research aims to develop efficient and low-carbon energy and environmental systems based on process integration and optimisation, with a major focus on sustainable waste management and wastewater treatment. I have also had extensive research experiences on evaluating the techno-economic feasiblity and environmental impacts of sustainable systems using the methods, e.g., cost-benefit analysis, life cycle assessment and multi-objective optimisation.
Chemical Process Modelling, Thermodynamic Modelling, Process Optimisation, Cost-benefit Analysis, Life Cycle Assessment, Uncertainty Analysis, Aerosol Dynamics and Infection Transmission Modelling
In the News
Strait Times: Found: Powerful ways of reusing waste
Moneysupermarket: The future of renewable energy
You, S. , Tong, H., Armin-Hoiland, J., Tong, Y. W. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) Techno-economic and greenhouse gas savings assessment of decentralized biomass gasification for electrifying the rural areas of Indonesia. Applied Energy, 208, pp. 495-510. (doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.10.001)
You, S. , Ok, Y. S., Chen, S. S., Tsang, D. C.W., Kwon, E. E., Lee, J. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) A critical review on sustainable biochar system through gasification: energy and environmental applications. Bioresource Technology, 246, pp. 242-253. (doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2017.06.177)
You, S. , Neoh, K. G., Tong, Y. W., Dai, Y. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) Variation of household electricity consumption and potential impact of outdoor PM2.5 concentration: a comparison between Singapore and Shanghai. Applied Energy, 188, pp. 475-484. (doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.019)
You, S. , Wang, W., Dai, Y., Tong, Y. W. and Wang, C.-H. (2016) Comparison of the co-gasification of sewage sludge and food wastes and cost-benefit analysis of gasification- and incineration-based waste treatment schemes. Bioresource Technology, 218, pp. 595-605. (doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2016.07.017)
You, S. and Wan, M. P. (2013) Mathematical models for the van der Waals force and capillary force between a rough particle and surface. Langmuir, 29(29), pp. 9104-9117. (doi: 10.1021/la401516m)
University of Glasgow: John Robertson Bequest Award, March 2018 - December 2018, Role: PI
University of Glasgow: EPSRC Vacation Scholars Scheme
Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow, 2019, Role: PI
BEIS, Fuel Switching Competition, 2019, Role: Co-I
SFC GCRF Small Grant Fund, 2019 - 2020, Role: PI
SFC Interface, 2020, Role: PI
British Korean Society, 2020, Role: PI
The Royal Society Research Grant, 2021, Role: PI
EC: Collaborative development of renewable/thermally driven and storage-integrated cooling technologies (Ref: 01007976), 2021, Role: Co-I at UofG
I am always keen to have quality research students to join my research. If you are interested, please send me your CV and a proposed research topic or plan. Some student funding opportunities in the School could be found via this link. You could also find some existing PhD opportunities via this link. Information regarding China Scholarship Council (CSC) PhD Scholarships could be found here. Note all applications need to go through the University's standard admission procedure. Exchange students and visiting scholars are also welcome.
Current PhD students: 6
My recent articles in Science:
PhD projects to offer:
(1) The food-water-bioenergy nexus for remote villages: Design, economics, and environmental impacts
(2) Multi-objective optimisation of decentralised water systems
(3) Advanced modelling of integrated waste management treatment for environmental impact evaluation
(4) Addressing the uncertainties of life cycle assessement of energy and environmental systems
Please email me for more projects.
ENG5303: Advanced Thermal Engineering 5
ENG2086: Engineering Mathematics 2
ENG4085: Integrated System Design Project 4
ENG5041P: MEng FYP - Mechanical Discipline Coordinator
ENG4173: Renewable Energy
- Editorial Board Member: Bioresource Technology (Elsevier, 2021 - present)
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Hazardous Materials (Elsevier, 2019 - present)
- Editorial Board Member: Systems Microbiology and Biomanufacturing (Springer)
- Guest Editor, Bioresource Technology, Special Issue “Waste lignin to resources”, 2019
- Guest Editor: Journal of CO2 Utilization, Special Issue “Innovative and Effective CO2 Conversion and Utilization Practices”, 2019
- Guest Editor: Applied Energy, Special Issue "Sustainable energy technologies for energy saving and carbon emission reduction", 2017.
- International Scientific Committee, "The 2nd International Conference on Bioresources, Energy, Environment, and Materials Technology (BEEM2018)" Gangwon-do, Korea, 2018.
- Invited Speaker and International Scientific Committee, "The 4th International Conference on Contaminated Land, Ecological Assessment and Remediation 2018 (CLEAR2018)" Hong Kong, 2018.
- Executive Committee, "The 15th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET2016)", Singapore, 2016.
- Invited reviewer for Langmuir, Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Energy, Building and Environment, Environmental Pollution, Energy, Bioresource Technology, Journal of Cleaner Production, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, Science of the Total Environment, Indoor and Built Environment, Journal of CO2 Utilization.
- Member, ULILAB-Conversion of Energy and Biochar from Biomass/Solid Waste Lab (EB2W), An international virtual lab of collective intelligence in Applied Energy
- Outstanding Reviewer - Journal of Cleaner Production
- Outstanding Reviewer - Applied Energy
- Outstanding Reviewer - Energy
- Outstanding Reviewer - Environmental Pollution
- Outstanding Reviewer - Bioresource Technology
- Outstanding Reviewer - Journal CO2 Utilization
- Outstanding Young Researcher/Principal Investigator Award 2018 - AIChE Singapore Local Section
- International Scientific Committee, E2S2-CREATE and AIChE WASTE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE, Singapore, 2019