Dr Siming You
- Lecturer (Systems Power and Energy)
I am a Lecturer in the Division of Systems, Power and Energy within the School of Engineering since December 2017. Before joining the School, I worked as a Research Fellow at NUS (National University of Singapore) Environmental Research Institute (2015 - 2017). Likewise, I served as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Nanyang Technological University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2014 and 2015, respectively. I received my Ph.D. in Thermo-fluids from Nanyang Technological University in October 2014, and my BEng from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics in July 2008.
My main area of research focuses on designing efficient emission control measures for bioenergy systems and studying the techno-economic and environmental sustainability of bioenergy systems through system-level integration and optimization. The goal is to design bioenergy systems by demystifying the interactions between environmental and bioenergy systems (e.g., gasification, pyrolysis, anaerobic digestion, etc) so that we could achieve a balance among carbon abatement potential, energy delivery (economics), and pollutant emissions, which are further subject to the demands of end users, policymakers, and investors, respectively.
Knowledge Map of Bioenergy System Design
Specifically, I am working on
- characterizing and model the pollutant emissions of bioenergy systems, and developing economic and sustainable emission control measures;
- enhancing the valorisation of the products (e.g., syngas, biochar, biogas, and fly ash) of bioenergy systems;
- designing and optimizing bioenergy systems in terms of techno-economic feasibility (cost-benefit analysis) and environmental sustainability (life cycle assessment);
- mapping the economic and environmental benefits of bioenergy systems on both regional and global scales.
Some problems I am interested in are including but not limited to energy-efficient solid waste disposal solutions, the design of next-generation smart grid systems and the development of self-sustaining water treatment systems facilitated by decentralized bioenergy systems, and the productivity enhancement of agricultural systems with the products of bioenergy systems (e.g., biochar).
Aerosol Dynamics and Measurement, Monte Carlo Simulation, Bioenergy Technologies and Systems, Cost-benefit Analysis, Life Cycle Assessment, Pollutant Emission Control, Air Pollution
In the News
Strait Times: Found: Powerful ways of reusing waste
You, S. , Tong, H., Armin-Hoiland, J., Tong, Y. W. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) Techno-economic and greenhouse gas savings assessment of decentralized biomass gasification for electrifying the rural areas of Indonesia. Applied Energy, 208, pp. 495-510. (doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.10.001)
You, S. , Ok, Y. S., Chen, S. S., Tsang, D. C.W., Kwon, E. E., Lee, J. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) A critical review on sustainable biochar system through gasification: Energy and environmental applications. Bioresource Technology, 246, pp. 242-253. (doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2017.06.177)
You, S. , Neoh, K. G., Tong, Y. W., Dai, Y. and Wang, C.-H. (2017) Variation of household electricity consumption and potential impact of outdoor PM2.5 concentration: A comparison between Singapore and Shanghai. Applied Energy, 188, pp. 475-484. (doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.019)
You, S. , Wang, W., Dai, Y., Tong, Y. W. and Wang, C.-H. (2016) Comparison of the co-gasification of sewage sludge and food wastes and cost-benefit analysis of gasification- and incineration-based waste treatment schemes. Bioresource Technology, 218, pp. 595-605. (doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2016.07.017)
You, S. and Wan, M. P. (2013) Mathematical models for the van der Waals force and capillary force between a rough particle and surface. Langmuir, 29(29), pp. 9104-9117. (doi:10.1021/la401516m)
I am always keen to have quality research students to join my research. If you are interested, please send me your CV and a proposed research topic or plan. Some student funding opportunities in the School could be found via this link. You could also find some existing PhD opportunities via this link. Information regarding China Scholarship Council (CSC) PhD Scholarships could be found here. Note all applications need to go through the University's standard admission procedure. Exchange students and visiting scholars are also welcome.
ENG5303: Advanced Thermal Engineering 5
- Guest Editor: "Sustainable energy technologies for energy saving and carbon emission reduction", Applied Energy, 2017.
- International Scientific Committee, "The 2nd International Conference on Bioresources, Energy, Environment, and Materials Technology (BEEM2018)" Gangwon-do, Korea, 2018.
- Executive Committee, "The 15th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET2016)", Singapore, 2016.
- Invited reviewer for Langmuir, Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Energy, Building and Environment, Environmental Pollution, Energy, Bioresource Technology, Journal of Cleaner Production, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, Science of the Total Environment, Indoor and Built Environment.
- Member, ULILAB-Conversion of Energy and Biochar from Biomass/Solid Waste Lab (EB2W), An international virtual lab of collective intelligence in Applied Energy