Dr Marco Vezza
- Senior Lecturer (Aerospace Sciences)
I have research interests in low speed aerodynamics and fluid structure interaction, with applications in aerospace, wind engineering and industrial aerodynamics. I have been involved in both experimental and computational work in this area, from the analysis and design of bridge decks against static loading and aeroelastic effects to wind tunnel testing of aerofoils for novel wind turbine applications. The DIVEX code which was initially developed at Glasgow, and subsequently through collaboration with the University of Strathclyde, has been employed in a number of funded bridge projects for commercial sponsors. In addition, bridge deck testing in the university’s wind tunnel facilities has been carried out, including a model of the Forth Bridge.
My interests in renewables extend to both wind and tidal, and I have supervised PhD students in these areas, funded through EPSRC DTA scholarships. I have coordinated the GU contribution to a major, industry led project in the development of wind turbine blades with tensioned textile skins, jointly funded by EPSRC and Innovate UK.
Aerospace applications have included modelling of dynamic stall, and more recently, optimising the performance of cycloidal rotors through combined computational and experimental studies.
I welcome interest from suitably qualified PhD candidates in the above or related areas.
- Rotorcraft DARP – predictive capability theme. EPSRC/Industry funded (2003-2008), £87,892
- Wind Tunnel Testing of Deck Structure (Forth Bridge). Funded by Forth Estuary Transport Authority (2006), £64,244 , co-investigator
- Numerical Analysis of the Sale Waterpark Footbridge, Manchester. Funded by Halcrow (2004), £12,000
- Aerodynamic Assessment of the Bressay Bridge Options. Funded by Halcrow (2003), £12,000
- Liam Ferrier - Improving theperformance of cucloidal rotors through leading-edge morphing
- Frank Scheurich - Modelling the Aerodynamics of Vertical-Axis Wind Turbines.
- Alasdair Thom - Computational Study of Vortex/Lifting Surface Interactions.
- Lada Vybulkova - Simulating the Impact of Tidal Stream Turbines on the Seabed in Shallow Waters.
- Wei Li - Development of multi-level computational fluid dynamics computer system for the performance analysis of off- and on-shore wind farms.
- Sajid Iqbal
- Selcuk Atalay
- Francisco Javier Garcia-de-Quiros Nieto
- Alessio Di Salvo
- Fotios Tsiachris Ph.D. 2005 .
- Linq Qian Ph.D. 2001. Towards numerical simulation of vortex-body interaction using vorticity-based methods
- Sabrina Malpede Ph.D. 2001. Three-dimensional single-sail static aeroelastic analysis & design method
- Ian Taylor Ph.D. 1999. Study of bluff body flow fields and aeroelastic stability using a discrete vortex method
- Lin Hequan Ph.D. 1997. Prediction of separated flows around pitching aerofoils using a discrete vortex method
- Ian Bennett M.Sc. 1995. The prediction of internal flows in centrifugal fans
- Fluid mechanics 2
- Mechanics of Structures 2A
- Industrial Aerodynamics 4
- Introduction to Wind Engineering