Dr Junlong Shang
- Lecturer (Infrastructure & Environment)
I am Lecturer in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics in the James Watt School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow. I am a member of the Geotechnics Group at the Infrastructure and Environment Division. I am also a member of the Energy and Sustainability Research Group at the Division of Systems, Power and Energy.
My research centres on rock mechanics for underground space (e.g., tunnels, caverns) and earth resources (e.g., minerals, geothermal energy). Please see details of my research and publications through the three websites: Personal Homepage, Google Scholar, Research Gate.
- 2020-present: Lecturer in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics, James Watt School of Engineering, the University of Glasgow, UK
- 2017-2020: Research Fellow, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (Project: Microbiological, Chemical and Physical Interactions in Rock Cavern Water Storage)
- 2013-2016: PhD in Earth Sciences, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, UK
- 2010-2012: MEng in Mining Engineering, Central South University, China
- 2006-2010: BEng in Mining Engineering, Central South University, China
- Experimental rock mechanics (failure of anisotropic rock, fracture mechanics);
- Rock engineering (mining, caverns, tunnels, rock bolting mechanism, energy storage);
- Discrete Element Method (3D Particle Flow Code);
- Machine learning (Python in solid Earth geoscience, geotechnics);
- Geothermal energy (THMC coupling, EGS development and production).
I welcome qualified PhD applicants who are interested in the above research areas to join our group. Please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also see more details on PhD application on my Personal Homepage.
I am also keen on research collaboration - please contact me if you are interested.
GFZ (Germany) innovative research expedition fund: a travel grant to support fieldwork at Äspö Hard Rock Laboratory, Sweden, PI, 2021-2022
This course provides an introduction to practical geology for civil engineers, emphasising: (i) identification of rocks, soils and associated landforms; (ii) appreciation of the occurrence and movement of groundwater; (iii) basic appraisal of geohazards relevant to engineering practice; (iv) applications of geology in civil engineering projects. It also introduces the topic of surveying and includes a series of practical sessions which allow students to familiarise themselves with surveying equipment.
Honors & Awards
- 2020: Recipient of the 2020 Rocha Medal of the International Society for Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (ISRM)
- 2020: Future Leader Member of the American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA)
- 2020: Excellent reviewer of Journal of Central South University_English Edition (Springer)
- 2018: Excellent reviewer of Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Elsevier)
- 2015: Distinguished Master Thesis Award granted by Hunan Province, China
- 2013: Outstanding Graduate granted by Hunan Province, China
- 2012: Top 10 MEng student Award granted by Central South University
Editorial Board Membership
- Scientific Editor: Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Elsevier)
- Editorial Board Member: Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (Springer)
- Editorial Board Member: International Journal of Mining Science and Technology (Elsevier)
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Central South University, English Edition (Springer)
- Editorial Board Member: Advances in Civil Engineering
- Editorial Board Member: Geosciences
- Editorial Board Member: Mining
- Guest Editor: Minerals (SI: Deep Saline CO2 Sequestration: Mechanisms and Coupling Behaviours)
- Reviewer for around 30 international journals
- 2021: Invited keynote (Rocha Lecture) for Eurock 2021, Turin, Italy
- 2020: Invited keynote for China Rock 2020, Beijing, China
- 2020: Invited presentation for a technical session of China rock 2020 (topic: Discontinuous deformation)
Service for International Conference
- 2021: Co-Chair of the scientific committee for ARC 13 conference of International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG), Nov 2021, Singapore
- 2021: Session Chair (topic: rock mechanics for geothermal energy), ARC 13 of IAEG, Singapore
- 2018: Organizing Committee Member, ARMS 10, Oct 2018, Singapore