Dr Junlong Shang
- Lecturer (Infrastructure & Environment)
I am Lecturer in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics in the James Watt School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow. I am a member of the Geotechnics Group at the Infrastructure and Environment Division, also a member of the Energy and Sustainability Research Group at the Division of Systems, Power and Energy.
My research centres on rock mechanics for underground space (e.g., tunnels, caverns) and earth resources (e.g., minerals, geothermal energy), combining laboratory, modelling, and field approaches. I have established a proven track record in mechanics of rocks and fractures, and multiphysics coupled modelling. I was awarded a Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Commission.
I am a recipient of the prestigious ISRM Rocha Medal (awarded to one candidate annually since 1982). I currently serve as a Future Leader of the American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA). I am a Scientific Editor for Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Elsevier, IF=4.3) and an Editorial Board Member of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (Springer, IF=6.7).
- 2020-present: Lecturer in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics, James Watt School of Engineering, the University of Glasgow, UK
- 2017-2020: Research Fellow, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (Project: Microbiological, Chemical and Physical Interactions in Rock Cavern Water Storage)
- 2013-2016: PhD in Earth Sciences, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, UK
- 2010-2012: MEng in Mining and Geotechnical Engineering, Central South University, China
- 2006-2010: BEng in Mining and Geotechnical Engineering, Central South University, China
- Experimental rock mechanics (failure of anisotropic rock, fracture mechanics);
- Rock engineering and underground space (mining, caverns, tunnels, rock bolting mechanism, energy storage, geological disposal of radioactive wastes);
- Discrete Element Method (3D Particle Flow Code);
- Machine learning (Python in solid Earth geoscience, geotechnics);
- Geothermal energy (THMC coupling, EGS development and production).
I welcome qualified PhD applicants who are interested in the above research areas to join our group. Please contact me via email at email@example.com. You may also see more details on PhD application on my Personal Homepage.
Royal Society: Clogging of rock fractures, PI, 2022-2024
NERC: Digging deep Earth for heat to promote environmental sustainability (DEEPHEAT), PI, 2021-2023
GFZ (Germany) innovative research expedition fund: a travel grant to support fieldwork at Äspö Hard Rock Laboratory, Sweden, PI, 2021-2023
SKLGDUEK open fund: 3D hydraulic fractures in geothermal reservoirs, PI, 2020-2022
- Ms Rabaya Khair Nithy
- Ms Meng Wang
- Mr Mengyang Zhai
This course provides an introduction to practical geology for civil engineers, emphasising: (i) identification of rocks, soils and associated landforms; (ii) appreciation of the occurrence and movement of groundwater; (iii) basic appraisal of geohazards relevant to engineering practice; (iv) applications of geology in civil engineering projects. It also introduces the topic of surveying and includes a series of practical sessions which allow students to familiarise themselves with surveying equipment.
This course will provide students with state-of-the-art knowledge of design principles and skills to create inclusive, efficient, and multi-modal transport networks in the urban environment. Students will learn from international examples applied to Scottish contexts about how cities can plan their networks to enable people to use sustainable and active transport choices. Students will learn the principles of planning traffic circulation, light rail networks, and active travel networks in the urban environment. The students will also undergo a detailed design coursework, redesigning a key junction in Glasgow to enable multi-modal flow while enhancing safety of citizens.
Honors & Awards
- 2021: Wiley Top Cited Paper Award for my solo-authored JGR paper
- 2020: Recipient of the Rocha Medal of the International Society for Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (ISRM)
- 2020: Future Leader Member of the American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA)
- 2020: Excellent reviewer of Journal of Central South University_English Edition (Springer)
- 2018: Excellent reviewer of Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Elsevier)
- 2015: Distinguished Master Thesis Award granted by Hunan Province, China
- 2013: Outstanding Graduate granted by Hunan Province, China
- 2012: Top 10 MEng student Award granted by Central South University
Editorial Board Membership
- Scientific Editor & Editorial Board Member: Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Elsevier, IF=4.3)
- Editorial Board Member: Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (Springer, IF=6.7)
- Guest Editor: Minerals (IF=2.6; with Dr Rathnaweera TD_Monash University, Australia). SI: Deep Saline CO2 Sequestration: Mechanisms and Coupling Behaviours
- Guest Editor: Energies (IF=3.0; with Dr Chun Zhu_Hohai University, China; Prof Manchao He_CUMTB, China). SI: Multifield and Multiscale Coupling of Rocks in Deep Energy Exploitation
- Guest Editor: Frontiers in Earth Science (IF=3.5; with Dr Yingchun Li_Dalian University of Technology, China; Prof Ernest Rutter, University of Manchester, UK; Dr Yinlin Ji_GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Germany). SI: Recent Advances in Mechanics and Physics of Rock Fractures across Scales
- Reviewer for around 30 international journals
- 2022: Engineering Geology Webinar, ETH Zürich
- 2021: Invited keynote (Rocha Lecture) for Eurock 2021, Turin, Italy
- 2021: Invited talk, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China
- 2021: Invited talk, Hohai University, Nanjing, China
- 2021: BGA Evening Lecture, invited by the British Geotechnical Association, UK
- 2020: Invited keynote for China Rock 2020, Beijing, China
- 2020: Invited presentation for a technical session of China rock 2020 (topic: Discontinuous deformation)
Service for International Conference
- 2021: Co-Chair of the scientific committee for ARC 13 conference of International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG), Nov 2021, Singapore
- 2021: Session Chair (topic: rock mechanics for geothermal energy), ARC 13 of IAEG, Singapore
- 2018: Organizing Committee Member, ARMS 10, Oct 2018, Singapore