Dr Jin Yang
- Senior Lecturer (Systems Power & Energy)
Dr Jin Yang received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Glasgow in 2011. He then worked as a research scholar at the University of New South Wales (Australia) before joining Aston University as a Lecturer in Power Engineering. Since October 2019, he has been with the James Watt School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow, as a Senior Lecturer in Smart Grid and Electrical Power Conversion.
Dr Jin Yang is a Senior Member of IEEE, Member of IET and Chartered Engineer (CEng), Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
Dr Jin Yang’s research focus is Power Systems, including the power transmission/distribution network analysis, operation and control considering high penetration of distributed renewable power generation and increasing storage (including electric vehicles and vehicle-to-grid), as low-carbon technologies to Power Systems interfaced via power electronics and Smart Grid technologies. Relevant topics are:
- Power Systems Modelling and Analysis
- Power Systems Low-Carbon Technologies
- Power Systems Simulations and Optimisation for Operation and Planning purposes
- Impacts of Distributed Energy Resources on Power Networks (renewable powr generation, energy storage systems, electric vehicles and vehicle-to-grid)
- Smart Grid Technologies, including IoT, ML, Blockchain applications
- New Power Market for Peer-to-Peer Energy Sharing and Trading
Aug. 2020 – Jul. 2021 China Energy and Low-Carbon Economy Programme “FlexGridPRC (Pathways to a Flexible power Grid adapting to high Penetration of Renewables in China)”, PI, £119,043.
Aug. 2020 – Jul. 2021 UK Power Networks “Active Response – Research Package 4, Low-Carbon Technologies review”, PI, £75,480.
09. 2019 – 09. 2021 European Commission Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action COFUND MULTIPLY Postdoctoral Fellowship “Fiber Bragg Grating-based Fast and Precise Internal Monitoring of Lithium-ion Batteries in Electric Vehicles”, Host for Dr Nand K. Meena.
06. 2019 – 12. 2020 UK Power Networks – Academic Review “Active Response – Research Workpackage 2 ICT”, PI, £64,200.
06. 2018 – 05. 2021 EPSRC UKRI Innovation Fellowship EP/S001778/1 “Street2Grid - An Electricity Blockchain Platform for P2P Energy Trading”, PI, £569,980.
03. 2018 – 02. 2020 Innovate UK V2G project TS/R017123/1 “VehIcle to Grid Intelligent controL (VIGIL)”, PI, £699,930, Academic partner's share £276,215.
09. 2017 – 08. 2019 EPSRC EP/R001456/1 Energy Feasibility project “Electricity Satnav – Electricity Smart Availability Topology of Network for Abundant electric Vehicles”, PI, £201,260.
A PhD studentship is available - information here.
Please note that this studentship is only available to UK applicants.
Principal Supervisor for:
- Miss Yuxuan Chen (October 2019 - )
- Mr Chengwei Lou (January 2018 - )
- Mr Graham Gissing (July 2018 - )
- Mr Luis Salinas San Martin (November 2017 - )
- Mr Qihengyuan (July 2017 - July 2020)
- ENG4104 Power Systems (4th year BEng)
- ENG5029 Electrical Energy Systems (MSc)
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Member of IET
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)