Dr Frederic Surre
- Lecturer (Systems Power & Energy)
Frederic received the French Engineering Degree in Electronic Engineering and Signal Processing, the Master of Advanced Studies (Microwave and Optical Transmission) and PhD in Electronic Engineering (Computational Electromagnetics) from Toulouse INP, France in 1998, 1998 and 2003 respectively.
After post-doctoral positions at Queen Mary, University of London, Trinity College Dublin and Dublin City University, where he worked on design all-optical functions for optical networks, he was appointed Assistant Professor in Optical Systems at City, University of London.
He has been invited professor at INPT (France) and Universidad San Francisco de Quito (Ecuador). In 2017, he was Visiting Assistant Professor at University of British Columbia (Canada).
Current research work includes:
- Photonic Integrated Sensors for vibration measurement and gas detection.
- Optical fibre sensors for strain, humidity, sound detection, pH and chloride for applications in structural health monitoring and/or biomedical.
- Sapphire based optical systems for sensing in extreme environment
- Digital Instrumentation, Signal Processing and Internet of Things (IoT) systems
- 2021-2023: PICSONDE: Picometric Optical System-on-Chip Displacement Sensor. International Partner. PI: Dr Bernal (LAAS-CNRS, France) - ANR (France) (€415k)
- 2020-2020: Learning with Wearables. CI. PI: Dr Ghannam - Glasgow College-UESTC (£10k)
- 2019-2020: Collaboration Grant - USFQ (Ecuador). Co-PI. PI: Dr Caceido (College of Health Sciences, USFQ, Ecuador) & Prof Trojman (College of Engineering, USFQ) ($5k)
- 2015: Acticheck. Design of Bluetooth communication for an elderly monitoring device. Consultancy.
- UESTC3020 - Digital Circuit Design (Course coordinator)
- UESTC3031 - Dynamics and Control
- UESTC4024 - Wireless and Optical Transmission Systems
- Professional Society Membership Senior Member
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) Member
- AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) Volunteering Member
- IEEE Standards Education Committee Member
- IEEE Engineering Products Editorial Committee