Dr Dezong Zhao
- Senior Lecturer in Autonomous Systems (Aerospace Sciences)
- Senior Lecturer in Autonomous Systems, University of Glasgow, 2020 - present
- Lecturer in Intelligent Systems, Loughborough University, 2017 - 2020
- Research Associate, Loughborough University, 2011 - 2017
- Research Fellow, Tsinghua University, 2010 - 2011
- PhD in Control Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing China, 2006 - 2010
- MSc in Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 2003 - 2006
- BEng in Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 1999 - 2003
Dr Zhao’s research spans multiple areas of autonomous systems, including perception, decision making, modelling, control and computing. He is passionate in investigating fundamental theory and tools to develop safe, trustworthy and efficient autonomous systems. In applications, he aims to tackle the challenges raised in connected and autonomous vehicles, robotics, low carbon vehicles and mechatronics.
- EPSRC Innovation Fellowship, Towards Energy Efficient Autonomous Vehicles via Cloud-Aided Learning, PI, EP/S001956/1, £526,502, 2018-2022.
- Royal Society-Newton Advanced Fellowship, Cooperative Vehicular Communication and Robust Control for Mixed Vehicle Platoons, PI, NAF/R1/201213, £74,000, 2020-2022.
- Tsinghua University Open Fund, Eco-Safe Driving for Automated Vehicles based on Driving Environment Prediction, PI, KF2009, CNY100,000, 2020-2021.
- Caterpillar I&RC Project, Global Nonlinear Control of Electrified Diesel Engines, PI, 20130319, £30,000, 2013-2014.
- EPSRC Institutional Sponsorship, Digital Engineering Performance Networks, Co-I, EP/R512941/1, £202,000, 2017-2018.
- NSFC Standard Grant, Modelling, Control and Scheduling of Networked Cooperation Systems with Multi Agents, Co-I, 61174068, CNY630,000, 2011–2015.
- Dr Jianglin Lan (2018-), RA in Low Carbon Autonomous Vehicles
- Dr Lu Ge (2020-), RA in Communications in Connected and Automated Vehicles
- Dr Dan Zhou (2020-), RA in Energy Management and Harvesting in Autonomous Vehicles
- Mr Jinsong Yang (2018-), Ecological Connected and Automated Vehicles
- Mr Weihao Lu (2019-), Point Cloud based Perception of Autonomous Vehicles
- Mr Hari Vijayakumar (2019-), Decision Making of Autonomous Vehicles under Uncertainties
- Mr Zhen Tian (2021-), Transparent Modelling of Autonomous Systems
- Mr Runkun Ju (2021-), Mixed Autonomous Traffic Systems Previous
- Dr Juan Du (2019-2020), RA in Image Analysis and Machine Learning in Autonomous Vehicles
- ENG4175 (the 4th year undergraduate students) and ENG5107 (MSc students), Autonomous Vehicle Guidance Systems
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2019, 2018: Best Poster Prize (Future Powertrain Conference)
- 2016: Most Citation Award (International Journal of Automation and Computing)
- 2016: Santander Mobility Award (Santander)
- 2015: Young Researcher Award (IEEE Control on Decision and Control)
- 2018 - 2022: EPSRC Innovation Fellowship
- 2020 - 2022: Royal Society-Newton Advanced Fellowship
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2020: EPSRC Peer Review College, Full member
- 2018: UKRI Future Leaders Fellow Peer Review College, Member
Professional & learned societies
- 2017: Senior Member, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2019: Member, Society of Automotive Engineers
- 2019: Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2020: Member, IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology)