Dr Dezong Zhao
- Senior Lecturer in Autonomous Systems (Autonomous Systems & Connectivity)
- Senior Lecturer in Autonomous Systems, University of Glasgow, 2020 - present
- Lecturer in Intelligent Systems, Loughborough University, 2017 - 2020
- Research Associate, Loughborough University, 2011 - 2017
- Research Fellow, Tsinghua University, 2010 - 2011
- PhD in Control Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing China, 2006 - 2010
- MSc in Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 2003 - 2006
- BEng in Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, China, 1999 - 2003
Dr Zhao’s research spans multiple areas of autonomous systems, including perception, decision making, modelling, control, inference, learning and computing. He is passionate in investigating fundamental theories and developing tools to deliver safe, trustworthy and efficient autonomous systems. In applications, he aims to tackle the challenges raised in connected and autonomous vehicles, robotics, low carbon vehicles and mechatronics.
- Tianjin University Open Fund, Decision Making and Control for the Ecological Driving of Connected and Automated Vehicles, PI, K2022-13, CNY100,000, 2022-2024.
- EPSRC Innovation Fellowship, Towards Energy Efficient Autonomous Vehicles via Cloud-Aided Learning, PI, EP/S001956/1, £526,502, 2018-2022.
- Royal Society-Newton Advanced Fellowship, Cooperative Vehicular Communication and Robust Control for Mixed Vehicle Platoons, PI, NAF/R1/201213, £74,000, 2020-2023.
- Tsinghua University Open Fund, Eco-Safe Driving for Automated Vehicles based on Driving Environment Prediction, PI, KF2009, CNY100,000, 2020-2021.
- University of Glasgow Reinvigorating Research Project, Human-Autonomy-Infrastructure Teaming, Co-I, £100k, 2021-2022.
- University of Glasgow TNE project, Flagship legged robotic platform for the excellence of research and teaching, Co-I, £100k, 2021 - 2022.
- Caterpillar I&RC Project, Global Nonlinear Control of Electrified Diesel Engines, PI, 20130319, £30,000, 2013-2014.
- EPSRC Institutional Sponsorship, Digital Engineering Performance Networks, Co-I, EP/R512941/1, £202,000, 2017-2018.
- NSFC Standard Grant, Modelling, Control and Scheduling of Networked Cooperation Systems with Multi Agents, Co-I, 61174068, CNY630,000, 2011–2015.
I welcome enquiries to supervise PhD students with interests in automatic control, machine intelligence, autonomous vehicles, robotics and future mobility.
- Mr Jinsong Yang (2018-), Ecological connected and automated vehicles
- Mr Weihao Lu (2019-), Point cloud based perception of autonomous vehicles
- Mr Hari Vijayakumar (2019-), Safe decision making of autonomous vehicles
- Mr Zhen Tian (2021-), Trustworthy decision making of autonomous systems
- Mr Zhaoan Ye (2021-), Causal control of autonomous systems
- Mr Qikun Chen (2022-), Causal decision making of autonomous systems
- Mr Yang Liu (2022-), Multi-sensor fusion of autonomous vehicles
- Mr Yansong Jiang (2022-), Causal perception of autonomous systems
- Dr Jianglin Lan (2018-2021), RA in Low Carbon Autonomous Vehicles
- Dr Juan Du (2019-2020), RA in Image Analysis and Machine Learning
- Dr Lu Ge (2020-2021), RA in Communications in Connected Vehicles
- Dr Dan Zhou (2020-2021), RA in Energy Management of Autonomous Vehicles
- Dr Wen Gu (2017-2022), Model learning and learning based control of dynamic systems
- Dr Xiaoyan Hu (2018-2022), Nonlinear control based on structurally optimised neural fuzzy networks
- ENG 4175/5107 (2020-), Autonomous Vehicle Guidance Systems
- ENG 3005/3071 (2021-), Control of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Team Design Projects 3 for Aerospace and Mechatronic students)
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2015: Young Researcher Award (IEEE Control on Decision and Control)
- 2016: Most Citation Award (International Journal of Automation and Computing)
- 2016: Santander Mobility Award (Santander)
- 2018, 2019: Best Poster Prize (Future Powertrain Conference)
- 2021: Best Paper Award (IEEE International Conference on Unmanned Systems)
- 2021: Excellent Solution Award (Global High-Level Talent Innovation and Application Competition)
- 2018 - 2022: EPSRC Innovation Fellowship
- 2020 - 2023: Royal Society-Newton Advanced Fellowship
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2018: UKRI Future Leaders Fellow Peer Review College, Member
- 2020: EPSRC Peer Review College, Full member
- 2022: Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- 2022: Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles
- 2022: Guest Editor on the special issue 'Deep Reinforcement Learning and IoT in Intelligent System' of Sensors
Professional & learned societies
- 2017: Senior Member, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2019: Member, Society of Automotive Engineers
- 2019: Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2020: Member, IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology)
Selected international presentations
- 2021: COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals (Online)
- 2021: CAA International Conference on Vehicular Control and Intelligence (Online)
Conference TPC member / Session Chair
- IEEE ACC 2019 Session Chair
- PMC 2018 TPC
- IEEE CDC 2015 Session Chair
- IEEE ICIA 2014 TPC
- IEEE ICIST 2014 TPC
- WCICA 2013 TPC
- IEEE ICRB TPC
- IEEE ICIA 2013 TPC
- Co-Chair, Workshop of Connected Autonomous Systems, 2022, University of Glasgow.
- Tomas Longley, Richard Stobart, Jiamei Deng, and Dezong Zhao, “Control system for an engine assembly” (US 2015/0046067 A1, EP20120160010).
- Tomas Longley, Richard Stobart, Jiamei Deng, and Dezong Zhao, “Optimised real-time control of a highly dynamic engine system” (US 2015/0066337 A1, EP20120160006).
PhD viva Convener / Examiner
- Convener at University of Glasgow since 2022.
- External Examiner for University of Birmingham since 2021.
IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, IEEE Control Systems Letters, IEEE Networking Letters, Asian Journal of Control, SAE International, ACTA AUTOMATICA SINICA, Journal of Control Theory and Applications, IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, American Control Conference, IFAC Symposium on Automotive Control, IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control, IFAC Congress.