Mr William McGuire
- Senior Lecturer in English Language (Pedagogy, Praxis & Faith)
Internationally, I have published widely in the scholarship of learning and teaching specifically in relation to MOOCs, SPOCs, the moderation of summative assessments and in terms of re-imagining the relationship between formative and summative assessment into a hybrid structure in order to create effective feedback to students. My work in the area of online/blended learning was awarded the prestigious Vidya Ratan award from India.
Nationally, as a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, I was involved in the HEA/Advance HE FLiTE project on developing future leaders in teaching excellence. I also publish widely on the national level and and regularly contribute to conferences on the themes outlined above. I have also authored a range of textbooks on the teaching of English as well as academic book chapters and also published articles in scholarly and professional journals as well as in a range of online fora over a sustained period. Co-authored three books on improving teaching and learning in Higher Education with the Institute for Learning in Higher Education.
On the institutional level, I was the recipient of two teaching excellence awards at both College and University level and I have been nominated three times by students for Student Teaching Awards. I am a member of the University's Teaching Excellence Network and I contribure regularly to GUSTTO, the Glasgow University Teaching Tips Organisation. and I have just trialled Teachingjobs, a resource on the alumni site, The Network, that supports our former graduates transition from their probationary period in teaching into permanent posts.
I was Subject Head of Language and Literature from 2004-2009 during which period I led the Section's varied activities as well as managing its day to - day running:
- Leading innovations in teaching and learning
- Managing change
- Developing online capability
During my time at the University, I was also commissioned to work for the Scottish Qualifications Authority in a range of roles from Examiner and Senior Examiner, to National Qualifications Development Specialist as well as Senior Team Leader, and Setter.
I have also worked closely with Education Scotland to produce teaching materials for National 5 English. Additionally, I have presented at a wide range of national and international conferences on a variety of topics.
I am currently working with the providers of ITE across Scotland to generate a resource to support PGDE English students by collating sample masters assignments from across participating universities as well as acting as a repository for shared teaching resources.
- 'Modelled' feedback using the TEDEx principle to improve the quality of feedback given by staff and to enhance its use by students.
- M-learning in relation to the construction of literacy 'apps'. Some years ago, I wrote three literacy apps to support pupils' knowledge of language.
- E-learning and M-Learning in relation to English teaching and literacy. This is a recently developing interest and I am the Scotland representative for this SIG as part of BERA.
- Blended learning in the post-Covid era, using blends within blends to optimise student engagement while offering maximum learner autonomy.
- Virtual learning environments: I have used Moodle and the Futurelearn platforms to produce a wide range of blended or hybridised courses.
- The moderation of summative assessments in Higher Education
- MOOC architectures. My MOOC 'Net that Job' had over 35,000 learners.
- Innovation in Higher Education teaching.
- Teaching excellence. I have been nominated three years in succession by students for teaching excellence awards.
2017. £100,000 from BOLD2 grant.
2017. £1,000 RDP grant.
2016. £1,000 RDP grant.
2016. £5,000 MOOC grant.
2015. £1,000 RDP grant.
2014. £3,000 grant to fund a Research assistant to support the project, 'Developing a Guiding Protocol for the Moderation of Summative Assessments.
2014. £1,000 grant to fund a Research assistant to support the development of the project above beyond the boundaries of the School of Education.
2006. £40,000 from Scottish Office to contribute towards the implementation of an online PGCE English course with Dumfries and Galloway Council.
CPD Income Generation
Derived from consultative work with SQA, the delivery of CPD courses and via national courses run for Education Scotland.
I have taught widely at Masters level on the MEd in Children's Literature and Literacies and I have also taught on the MEd in Professional Practice where I have supervised a wide range of theses including:
- The impact of broadsheet newspapers on students' close reading skills;
- In What Ways Does the Use of Bloom's Taxonomy as an Intervention Strategy Improve Reading Comprehension of Primary School Pupils;
- Supporting pupils with dyslexia in the primary classroom;
I have supervised two PhD students on blended learning and MOOCs.
I was Co-ordinator of the Language and Literature section within the School of Education for five years.
I am currently Director of the MEd (Prof Practice).
I have taught mainly at postgraduate levels on:
Understanding Learning and Teaching
Learning and Teaching (Secondary)
Learning and Teaching (Primary)
MEd Children's Literature and Literacies
MEd Professional Practice
MOOC. Net That Job with a CV Online https://edshare.gla.ac.uk/812/
I am leading the construction of a SWAY resource (under construction) to support improved use of feedback information by students and the improved delivery of feedback by lecturers.
I have transferred my Teaching Jobs resource supporting probationer teachers to secure full-time jobs onto my website:
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2014: College teaching excellence award (University of Glasgow)
- 2014: University teaching excellence award (University of Glasgow)
Professional & learned societies
- 2014 - —————-: Senior fellow, Advance HE (HE Academy)
- 2018 - —————: Fellow, Royal Society of Arts
- 1987 - ————-: Member, General teaching council scotland
- Chief External Examiner for PGCE at Birmingham City University
- External Examiner for Secondary PGCE and SDT English at Brighton University
Consulting and advice
I have delivered CPD to a wide range of Scottish Local authorities on the following topics:
- Writer's craft in both Primary and Secondary schools
- Moderation of standards for writing in both Primary and Secondary contexts
- Standard grade folios, close reading and writing
- The National 5 Writing Portfolio: assessment
- National 5 Critical Essays: assessment
- National 5 Raising Attainment
- National 5 Critical Updates
- Higher English:preparing for implementation
Academic and Professional Body Membership
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Full GTC Registration
- Member of the Association of English Advisers in Scotland
- University of Glasgow Teaching Excellence Network
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- SQA Question paper setter 2003-2014
- SQA Examiner for Intermediate 1 and 2 English 2000-2007
- SQA Examiner for Standard Grade English 1995-2014
- National Qualifications Development Specialist 2006
- National Qualifications Development Specialist 2008
- Item Writer for National 5 English 2013-continuing
- Senior Examiner for National 5 English 2014-continuing
- Invited by almost every education authority in scotland to deliver courses on a variety of topics
Access to full list of publications is available here:
Evidence of Esteem
- External reviewer for the subject review of the Education Faculty of the University of the Highlands and Islands 2009
- Co-author of report to senate for the above review
- Conference presentation to teachers of English for Education Scotland at Stirling University titled: Response alignment in relation the 8 mark question in National 5 English
- Conference presentation to National 5 English students in Glasgow titled: Success in National 5 English
- Assessing CfE Writing Levels 2-4. aokonline.com
- College level Teaching Excellence award 2014
- University level Teaching Excellence award 2014
- Nominated in two categories for Student-led Teaching Awards 2015
- Nominated in one category for Student-led Teaching Awards 2016
- Nominated in one category for Student-led Teaching Awards 2017