Dr Oscar Valiente
- Senior Lecturer (Robert Owen Centre)
My research focuses on education policy from an international and comparative perspective. I am particularly interested in:
- The role of international organisations in the global governance of education;
- The political economy of education and training;
- TVET and skills in international development;
- The effects of education policies on social justice.
Ongoing research projects
I currently lead research teams in two international projects:
- Policies Supporting Young Adults in their Life Course. A Comparative Perspective of Lifelong Learning and Inclusion in Education and Work in Europe. EU Horizon 2020 (2016-19)
- Governing the Educational and Labour Market Trajectories of Secondary TVET Graduates in Chile. ESRC - Newton Fund (2016 - 18)
Erasmus Mundus GLOBED
I am the programme leader of the International Master in Education Policies for Global Development (GLOBED) at the University of Glasgow.
GLOBED will start in 2018/2019 and will offer a coherent international education program with:
- a detailed and critical revision of the policies and programmes that have dominated the field of education for development in recent decades;
- the most state-of-the-art methodological approaches to evaluate which policies work under what circumstances;
- analytical tools to explore alternative education policy strategies for social justice and sustainable development.
- Autonomous University of Barcelona (coord.)
- University of Bremen
- University of Cyprus
- University of Glasgow.
- Comparative Education
- Education Policy
- International Development
- Technical Vocational Education and Training
- Political Economy of Skills
- Sociology of Education
Schweisfurth, M. , Davies, L., Pe Symaco, L. and Valiente, O. (2018) Higher education, bridging capital, and developmental leadership in the Philippines: Learning to be a crossover reformer. International Journal of Educational Development, 59, pp. 1-8. (doi:10.1016/j.ijedudev.2017.09.001)
Capsada-Munsech, Q. and Valiente, O. (2017) WP6 Comparative Analysis Skills Supply and Demand. Project Report. YOUNG_ADULLLT, Glasgow.
Valiente, O. and Scandurra, R. (2016) Challenges to the implementation of dual apprenticenships in OECD countries: A literature review. In: Pilz, M. (ed.) Vocational Education and Training in Times of Economic Crisis: Lessons from Around the World. Series: Technical and vocational education and training (24). Springer International Publishing, pp. 41-57. ISBN 9783319478548 (doi:10.1007/978-3-319-47856-2_3)
- SDS PhD Studentship Lifelong Learning Policies Supporting Young Adults in their Life Course: The Cases of Glasgow City Region and Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire (October 2017 - September 2020)
- LKAS PhD Studentship The Governance of Skills Supply and Demand in Middle Income Countries (October 2017 - September 2020)
- Scottish Funding Council Pilot Study of the Implementation of the Mexican Model of Dual Vocational Education and Training in the State of Mexico (February 2017 – June 2017)
- ESRC - IAA Engaging local and regional LLL policy makers in Glasgow City Region and Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire Region (February 2017 - January 2018)
- EU – Horizon 2020 Policies Supporting Young Adults in their Life Course: A Comparative Perspective of Lifelong Learning and Inclusion in Education and Work in Europe (March 2016 – February 2019)
- ESRC – Newton Fund Governing the Educational and Labour Market Trajectories of Secondary TVET Graduates in Chile (February 2016 – December 2018)
- UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office Peacebuilding, Governance and Educational Inequalities in Kenya and South Sudan (September 2014 – December 2015)
- DLP/AusAID Case Study of Developmental Leadership in the Philippines: Educational Experiences, Institutions and Networks (July 2014 – September 2015)
- British Council The Policy Adoption of the Dual System of Vocational Education and Training in Mexico (October 2014 – February 2015)
- Jaume Bofill Foundation PIAAC: International Evidence on the Equity in Adult Skills and Competencies (April 2014 – March 2015)
- DFID The Political Economy of Education Systems (February – September 2013)
- Jaume Bofill Foundation International Trends in Vocational Education and Training (January – September 2013)
I welcome inquiries from potential research students who share any of my research interests.
- Compare Editorial Board.
- BAICE Executive Committee.
- CESE - Comparative Education Societies in Europe
- NORRAG - Network for Policy Research, Review and Advice on Education and Training
- VETCULTURE - Vocational Education and Training & Culture Network
- GLARN - University of Glasgow Latin America Research Network
- GEPS - Centre for Globalisation, Education and Social Policies, Autonomous University of Barcelona
- CIE - Centre for International Education, University of Sussex