Professor Oscar Valiente
- Professor of Education and International Development (Educational Leadership & Policy)
My research focuses on education policy from an international and comparative perspective.
PI for the ESRC/GCRF project Can Dual Apprenticeships Create Better and More Equitable Social and Economic Outcomes for Young People? A Comparative Study of India and Mexico (2018-21) in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Tecnologico de Monterrey, University of Cologne and University of Zurich.
Glasgow lead of the Erasmus Mundus International Master in Education Policies for Global Development - GLOBED (2018-24). The programme is run in collaboration with Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Coord.), University of Bremen and University of Cyprus.
- Comparative Education
- Education Policy
- International Development
- Vocational Education and Training
- Skill Formation
- Sociology of Education
- Youth transitions
- ESRC - CGRF Can Dual Apprenticeships Create Better and More Equitable Social and Economic Outcomes for Young People? A Comparative Study of India and Mexico (December 2018 - February 2021)
- SDS PhD Studentship Lifelong Learning Policies Supporting Young Adults in their Life Course: The Cases of Glasgow City Region and Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire (October 2017 - September 2020)
- LKAS PhD Studentship The Governance of Skills Supply and Demand in Middle Income Countries (October 2017 - September 2020)
- Scottish Funding Council Pilot Study of the Implementation of the Mexican Model of Dual Vocational Education and Training in the State of Mexico (February 2017 – June 2017)
- ESRC - IAA Engaging local and regional LLL policy makers in Glasgow City Region and Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire Region (February 2017 - January 2018)
- EU – Horizon 2020 Policies Supporting Young Adults in their Life Course: A Comparative Perspective of Lifelong Learning and Inclusion in Education and Work in Europe (March 2016 – February 2019)
- ESRC – Newton Fund Governing the Educational and Labour Market Trajectories of Secondary TVET Graduates in Chile (February 2016 – December 2018)
- UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office Peacebuilding, Governance and Educational Inequalities in Kenya and South Sudan (September 2014 – December 2015)
- DLP/AusAID Case Study of Developmental Leadership in the Philippines: Educational Experiences, Institutions and Networks (July 2014 – September 2015)
- British Council The Policy Adoption of the Dual System of Vocational Education and Training in Mexico (October 2014 – February 2015)
- Jaume Bofill Foundation PIAAC: International Evidence on the Equity in Adult Skills and Competencies (April 2014 – March 2015)
- DFID The Political Economy of Education Systems (February – September 2013)
- Jaume Bofill Foundation International Trends in Vocational Education and Training (January – September 2013)
I welcome inquiries from potential research students who share any of my research interests.
- Barrett, Grace McLean
Economic and social outcomes of work-based learning across economic sectors: The case of Foundation Apprenticeships in Scotland
- Cervantes Gómez, José Antonio Cervantes
Youth Building the Future: An Analysis of the Political Economy of the Adoption of an Apprenticeship Policy for Young Adults in Mexico
- Karaagacli, Bahar Cemre
Pathways of Development within a Region: Entrepreneurialism and Engagement in British and German Higher Education
- Simonen, Petri
Young adults' key influencers for transition into the world-of-work and the role of careers guidance policy in Scotland
- Vanderhoven, Ellen
Dual apprenticeships in Mexico
Erasmus Mundus GLOBED
I am the Glasgow lead of the Erasmus Mundus International Master in Education Policies for Global Development.
GLOBED offers a coherent international education program with:
- a detailed and critical revision of the policies and programmes that have dominated the field of education for development in recent decades;
- the most state-of-the-art methodological approaches to evaluate which policies work under what circumstances;
- analytical tools to explore alternative education policy strategies for social justice and sustainable development.
- Autonomous University of Barcelona (coord.)
- University of Bremen
- University of Cyprus
- University of Glasgow.
My postgraduate teaching
- Education and International Development
- International and Comparative Education
- Education Policy
- Compare Editorial Board.
- BAICE Executive Committee.
- CESE - Comparative Education Societies in Europe
- NORRAG - Network for Policy Research, Review and Advice on Education and Training
- VETCULTURE - Vocational Education and Training & Culture Network
- GLARN - University of Glasgow Latin America Research Network
- GEPS - Centre for Globalisation, Education and Social Policies, Autonomous University of Barcelona
- CIE - Centre for International Education, University of Sussex