Dr Ismail Özgür Zembat
- Senior Lecturer in Mathematics Education (Pedagogy, Praxis & Faith)
I am interested in the following areas of research (qualitative/quantitative). Enquiries from postgraduate students who are interested in any of the following topics are welcome.
- Mathematical concepts, and teaching and learning of them;
- Mathematics teacher knowledge and mathematics teacher development;
- Mathematics curriculum development;
- Student reasoning in mathematics;
- Teaching mathematics in technologically-rich environments
- Qualitative and quantitative research methods
1. Project name: Mid-Atlantic Center for Mathematics Teaching and Learning;
Funded by: National Science Foundation – USA;
About: Secondary teacher education and curriculum development for secondary teachers;
Period: August 2000 - August 2004 (I was part of this period only); 2005-2013 (I was not part of this period)
Funded for: $9,575,724.00 (one partner's share was about $3 million for 2000-2007 period); (NSF Award #0083429)
Principal Investigators: James Fey (PI); James Hiebert (Co-PI); Patricia Campbell (Co-PI); M. Kathleen Heid (Co-PI)
Research Associates: Ismail O. Zembat; Debby MacCullough; Barbara McDonald; Gulseren Karagoz Akar (2002-...) - other associates joined the research team starting from 2004
https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/ (search for Award #0083429)
2. Project name: Closing the gap between current knowledge level of UAE mathematics teachers and the ideal level;
Funded by: UAE University [previously accepted by National Research Foundation but later transferred to UAE University];
About: Investigating the profile of UAE mathematics teachers in terms of their mathematics knowledge level to reveal the gap between their current knowledge level and the expected level;
Period: December 10, 2010 – June 20, 2012;
Funded for: 250,000AED [about £50,000].
Principal Investigators: Ismail O. Zembat
3. Project name: School-University Collaboration to Cultivate the Experiences of Students and Schoolteachers in Mathematics (SUCCESS – M)
Funded by: Pupil Equity Funding (PEF) Grant, Falkirk Council - Scotland
About: Enriching teaching and learning through a mathematics curriculum development for topics in Primary 5-Primary 7
Period: March 2019 – March 2020
Funded for: £19,627
Project Coordinators: Ismail O. Zembat & Cristina Mio
4. Project name: Small Grants
Funded by: University of Glasgow, UK
About: Enhancing the provision of mathematics education courses and improving pre-service teachers’ understanding of teaching and learning through the use of hands-on/online manipulatives and supporting materials
Period: January 2020 – June 2020
Funded for: £5,000
Project Coordinators: Cristina Mio, Ismail O. Zembat, Susie Marshall, Evelyn Mclaren
Supervision of Master's Dissertations
Griffin, Deirdre (2021). Developing a conceptual understanding of area and perimeter using the pedagogical approach of teaching through problem solving: A literature review. University of Glasgow, UK.
Wark, Jordan (2021). What impact does technology have on the teaching and learning experience of primary school mathematics? University of Glasgow, UK.
Wood, Rebecca (2020). What are ways in which mathematical anxiety can be reduced and how can reduction measures be beneficial at primary and secondary level? University of Glasgow, UK.
Andrews, Allison (2020). To what extent does ‘Glasgow Counts’ allow for the findings of cognitive load theory? University of Glasgow, UK.
Rundell, Sarah (2020). What is the role of Justification in a Secondary Mathematics Classroom? University of Glasgow, UK.
Bayram, Ebru (2016). Mathematics teachers’ specialized content knowledge of measurement concepts and its reflection over their teaching. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Aslan, Mustafa (2015). The influence of prospective middle school teachers’ adopted teaching models on their mathematics teaching. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Gürhan, Sümeyye (2015). Middle school students’ development of the conceptual understanding of classifying quadrilaterals within technology-supported environments. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Yaşa, Seyit Ali (2015). The relationship between different grade levels and mathematics teachers’ perceptions of norms. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Supervision of Doctoral Thesis
- Bakri Awaji, PhD supervision (2021), Investigating the Effectiveness of Using GeoGebra Software on Students' Mathematical Proficiency - University of Glasgow - https://theses.gla.ac.uk/82594/
- Awaji, Bakri Mohammed A
Investigating the Effectiveness of Using GeoGebra Software on Students' Mathematical Proficiency
The courses I currently teach:
PGDE Maths; MEduc Maths; Seminar in Contemporary Issues in Education; Engineering Maths (BTech Ed)
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2002: Tait Scholarship (The Pennsylvani State University)
- 2014: Educator of the Year (Mevlana University, Turkey)
- 1999 - 2004: Ministry of Education of Turkey
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2011 - 2012: UAE, Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance Panel Membership
- 2006 - 2009: International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (IEJME)
- 2006 - 2009: Eurasian Journal of Educational Research
- 2009 - 2010: International Journal for Research in Education - UAE
Deputy Leader for Research and Teaching Group (RTG) - Pedagogy, Praxis and Faith (Oct 2019 - ...)
Programme Leader for Middle Years (Mathematics/Science) Education (Oct 2018 - ...)
Mathematics Course Lead for PGDE Primary & MEduc Programmes (August 2019 - ...)
2. Mevlana University
Head of School - The Graduate School for the Social Sciences, Mevlana (Rumi) University [August 10, 2012 – July 2016]
Department Head - Department of Elementary Education [18.09.2014 – July, 2016]
Senate Member [August 10, 2012 – July 2016]
Institute Council and Administrative Council Memberships (Graduate Institute for the Natural and Applied Sciences) [2014 – July 2016]
Faculty Council Membership (Faculty of Education, Faculty of Engineering) [2012 – Jan. 26, 2016]
Faculty Administrative Council Membership (Faculty of Education, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Business Administration) [2012 – Jan. 26, 2016]
Bologna (European Union) Commission Membership [2012 – 2016]
University Scientific Publications Commission Membership [2012 – 2016]
Legislation and Regulations Commission for Institutes - Member [Sept. 2014 – July 2016]
Internal Scientific Research Support Commission Membership [Sept. 2014 – July 2016]
Teaching Assistantship Regulations Commission Membership [Sept. 2014 – July 2016]
Human Subjects Research Affairs Committee Chair [March 2015- July 2016]
3. United Arab Emirates University
Acting Coordinator for the proposed Secondary Education Program [2010-2012]
Academic Programs Committee (chair) [2010-2012]
NCATE Standart 3, 5 Committees (committee member) [2007-2012]
Research and Scholarship Activities Committee (committee member) [2010-2012]
Content Exam Committee [2007-2008]
PhD Program Development Committee [2009-2010]
Course Content Development for Master and PhD programs [2008-2010]
FEDU Journal Committee [2009-2010]
MSTE Conference Organizing Committee [2009-2010]
Course Coordinator for CURR 366–Teaching Methods of Mathematics [2007-2010]
Zembat, I. O., Yasa, S. A., & Aslan, M (2021, November 6). Qualified mathematics teachers' knowledge of place value concept. British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSLRM) Autumn Day Conference, Online, UK.
Yasa, S. A., Aslan, M, & Zembat, I. O. (2021, October 28-30). Basamak kavramı ve öğretmen bilgisi [Concept of place value and teacher knowledge]. 5th International Symposium of Turkish Computer and Mathematics Education, Alanya-Antalya, Turkey.
Zembat, I. O., & Gurhan, S. (2019, September 10-12). Fostering development of quadrilateral hierarchy in Geometer's Sketchpad. BERA, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
Zembat, I. O., & Bayram, E. (2019, September 3-6). An articulation of specialized content knowledge of mathematics teachers in the context of measurement concepts. ECER, Hamburg University, Hamburg, Germany.
Zembat, İ. Ö. (2016, January 30-31). A brief analysis of fraction multiplication in elementary and middle grade level and in teacher development (in Turkish). Model Practices in Teaching Mathematics Conference-I, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey.
Feb 2010-June 2010 International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (Associate Editor)
July 2010-Jan 2012 International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (Co-Editor in-chief)
Feb 2012-Jan 2014 International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (Editor-in-Chief)
2013 - 2016 International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology (Mathematics Education Section Editor)
Scholarships and Awards
- Scholarship from Ministry of Education of Turkey, 53000USD, (Jan 1999 - Aug 2000)
- Tait Scholarship, Pennsylvania State University, USA (Spring 2002)
- Educator of the Year (2013-2014 academic year) – Mevlana University, Turkey
- Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance Panel Membership (2011-2012 academic year), UAE University
British Educational Research Association (2019-…)
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (1999 - 2016)
International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (2002 - …)
Turkish (mother tongue)
Arabic (very basic level, daily routines)
Basic computer skills (Windows, Office, etc.); Statistical and qualitative data analysis software (Minitab, SPSS, Atlas.ti); Mathematics education computer programs (Geometer’s Sketchpad, Wingeom, JavaBars, Geogebra, Euclidraw); Course management systems (Blackboard, Moodle)
- Certificate for computer literacy (May 7, 2007), Hacettepe University, Turkey
- Certified instructional technology expert level 1 (CITE Professional Development Program) (September 28, 2011), UAE University