Dr Ismail Özgür Zembat
- Senior Lecturer in Mathematics Education (Pedagogy, Praxis & Faith)
I am interested in the following areas of research (qualitative/quantitative). Enquiries from postgraduate students who are interested in any of the following topics are welcome.
- Mathematical concepts, and teaching and learning of them
- Teaching mathematics in technologically-rich environments
- Curriculum development
- Teacher knowledge and development
1. Project name: Mid-Atlantic Center for Mathematics Teaching and Learning;
Funded by: National Science Foundation – USA;
About: Secondary teacher education and curriculum development for secondary teachers;
Period: August 2000 - August 2004 (I was part of this period only); 2005-2013 (I was not part of this period)
Funded for: $9,575,724.00 (one partner's share was about $3 million for 2000-2007 period); (NSF Award #0083429)
Principal Investigators: James Fey (PI); James Hiebert (Co-PI); Patricia Campbell (Co-PI); M. Kathleen Heid (Co-PI)
Research Associates: Ismail O. Zembat; Debby MacCullough; Barbara McDonald; Gulseren Karagoz Akar (2002-...) - other associates joined the research team starting from 2004
https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/ (search for Award #0083429)
2. Project name: Closing the gap between current knowledge level of UAE mathematics teachers and the ideal level;
Funded by: UAE University [previously accepted by National Research Foundation but later transferred to UAE University];
About: Investigating the profile of UAE mathematics teachers in terms of their mathematics knowledge level to reveal the gap between their current knowledge level and the expected level;
Period: December 10, 2010 – June 20, 2012;
Funded for: 250,000AED [about £50,000].
Principal Investigators: Ismail O. Zembat
3. Project name: School-University Collaboration to Cultivate the Experiences of Students and Schoolteachers in Mathematics (SUCCESS – M)
Funded by: Pupil Equity Funding (PEF) Grant, Falkirk Council - Scotland
About: Enriching teaching and learning through a mathematics curriculum development for topics in Primary 5-Primary 7
Period: March 2019 – March 2020
Funded for: £19,627
Project Coordinators: Ismail O. Zembat & Cristina Mio
4. Project name: Small Grants
Funded by: University of Glasgow, UK
About: Enhancing the provision of mathematics education courses and improving pre-service teachers’ understanding of teaching and learning through the use of hands-on/online manipulatives and supporting materials
Period: January 2020 – June 2020
Funded for: £5,000
Project Coordinators: Cristina Mio, Ismail O. Zembat, Susie Marshall, Evelyn Mclaren
5. Project name: Small Grants
Funded by: University of Glasgow, UK
About: Enhancing the provision of mathematics education courses
Period: January 2022 – June 2022
Funded for: £3,000
Project Coordinators: Cristina Mio, Ismail O. Zembat, Susie Marshall
Supervision of Doctoral Thesis to the Completion
- Bakri Awaji (2021). Investigating the effectiveness of using GeoGebra software on students' mathematical proficiency. PhD thesis, University of Glasgow. https://theses.gla.ac.uk/82594/
- Yousef S. H. Alshammari (2023). Understanding the perspectives of mathematics teachers concerning eLearning in Saudi Arabia. PhD thesis, University of Glasgow. https://theses.gla.ac.uk/83798/
Supervision of Master's Dissertations to the Completion
Griffin, Deirdre (2021). Developing a conceptual understanding of area and perimeter using the pedagogical approach of teaching through problem solving: A literature review. University of Glasgow, UK.
Wark, Jordan (2021). What impact does technology have on the teaching and learning experience of primary school mathematics? University of Glasgow, UK.
Wood, Rebecca (2020). What are ways in which mathematical anxiety can be reduced and how can reduction measures be beneficial at primary and secondary level? University of Glasgow, UK.
Andrews, Allison (2020). To what extent does ‘Glasgow Counts’ allow for the findings of cognitive load theory? University of Glasgow, UK.
Rundell, Sarah (2020). What is the role of Justification in a Secondary Mathematics Classroom? University of Glasgow, UK.
Bayram, Ebru (2016). Mathematics teachers’ specialized content knowledge of measurement concepts and its reflection over their teaching. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Aslan, Mustafa (2015). The influence of prospective middle school teachers’ adopted teaching models on their mathematics teaching. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Gürhan, Sümeyye (2015). Middle school students’ development of the conceptual understanding of classifying quadrilaterals within technology-supported environments. Mevlana University, Turkey.
Yaşa, Seyit Ali (2015). The relationship between different grade levels and mathematics teachers’ perceptions of norms. Mevlana University, Turkey.
The courses I currently teach:
PGDE Maths; MEduc Maths; Seminar in Contemporary Issues in Education; Engineering Maths (MDTech Ed)
- Place Value Investigations: https://e-concrete-manipulatives.surge.sh/
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2002: Tait Scholarship (The Pennsylvani State University)
- 2014: Educator of the Year (Mevlana University, Turkey)
- 1999 - 2004: Ministry of Education of Turkey
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2011 - 2012: UAE, Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance Panel Membership
- 2023 - 2026: The Curriculum Journal (BERA) - Editorial Board Member
- 2013 - 2016: International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology - Mathematics Section Editor
- 2010 - 2014: International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (IEJME) - Editor
- 2009 - 2010: International Journal for Research in Education - UAE - Editorial Board Member
- 2006 - 2009: International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education (IEJME) - Editorial Board Member
- 2006 - 2009: Eurasian Journal of Educational Research - Editorial Board Member
Deputy Leader for Research and Teaching Group (RTG) - Pedagogy, Praxis and Faith (Oct 2019 - ...)
Programme Leader for Middle Years (Mathematics/Science) Education (Oct 2018-2021)
Mathematics Lead for PGDE Primary & MEduc & MDTechEd Programmes (August 2019 - ...)
Scholarships and Awards
- Scholarship from Ministry of Education of Turkey, 53000USD, (Jan 1999 - Aug 2000)
- Tait Scholarship, Pennsylvania State University, USA (Spring 2002)
- Educator of the Year (2013-2014 academic year) – Mevlana University, Turkey
- Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance Panel Membership (2011-2012 academic year), UAE University
- UofG College of Social Sciences Teaching Excellence Award (as part of PGDE maths team)
British Educational Research Association (2019-…)
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (1999 - 2016)
International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (2002 - …)