Dr Agnieszka Uflewska
- Associate Tutor (School of Education)
Passionate about empowering through lifelong education for social justice and social change, I hold a PhD in Education (University of Glasgow) and other postgraduate and graduate degrees in international relations (University of Warsaw) and foreign service (Warsaw School of Economics). An Imagination Age enthusiast for creative learning, teaching and research across hybrid and cyber realms, I focus on education for smart societies and innovative andragogy, drawing from the experience of research collaborations across Asia, Africa, and the EU.
I re-joined the University of Glasgow in late Feb 2022, following a period of holding a joint position of a Lecturer in Political Science, a university Coordinator for Internationalisation, and a Chair Disciplinary Commission on Student Affairs (Warsaw, Poland, 2020-2022). While there, I led an academic global cooperation, incl. negotiating and overseeing research, teaching and legal ramifications of academic partnerships internationally (mainly Asia, USA, Europe). I was also responsible for building, preparing, and leading a university-wide team through a process of acquiring the CEEMAN (Central and East European Management Development Association) International Qualification Accreditation (awarded in Dec. 2021). Additionally, I served as a local UN PRME (Principles for Responsible Management Education) and the UN SDG (Sustainability Development Goals) academic champion, as well as was the leading author of the initial UN PRME SIP Report (2021).
Besides that, I led and coordinated creation of innovative post-graduate programmes, including managing cybersecurity and women leadership, jointly with local think-tanks and NGOs. Additionally, I served as a Secretary of an International Group on Competences in Cybersecurity and Reliability for Industry 4.0 and am a co-author of 'Manual on Cybersecurity in Industry 4.0' (chapter on education for cybersecurity), created jointly with researchers and industry experts from Ukraine, Poland and the US.
While back at Glasgow, I am looking forward to returning to my research work and publishing, as well as staying involved in reserach supervision and cooperating on new exciting research verntures globally.
- Education for 21st Century Skills, incl. Cyber-security and AI/Machine Learning;
- Migration, Identity and Smart Nations;
- Psychology of Education in the Age of Imagination.
Currently, I supervise the follwoing Team of Postgraduate Researchers:
Ms. Rosemond Nyansafo, M.Phil+Ph.D (jointly with Dr Gameli K. Tordzro), starting in the Fall 2022.
Ms. Huishu Hou, MSc: 'Role of Foreign Language Teaching through Literature for Development of the 21st Century Skills' (in preparation for publication).
Ms. Yiwen Huang, MSc: 'Role of Bilingual Online Programmes in Fostering Inclusion in China'.
Ms. Xiaoxuan Kong, MSc: 'Using Social Networking Site for ESL/EFL Teaching and Learning in China'.
Mr. Wei Liu, MSc: 'The Educational Value of Digital Games for Early Education Classroom Practice in China'.
Ms. Maureen O'Neill, MSc: 'You don't belong here! The Role of Language in Closing the Poverty-Related Attaiment Gap in Scotland' (in preparation for publishing).
Ms. Yawen Song, MSc: 'A Role of Educational Practicioners in Reducing Students' Test Anxiety in a Context of the Chinese Higher Education System' (in preparation for publishing).
Ms. Kejing Wu: 'Overcoming Stress in Teaching post-Covid-19: Online and Hybrid Teaching Impact on Occupational Stress across the Higher Education in England' (in preparation for publication).
I also supervise Ms. Qianyi Hu, Ms. Min Liu, Ms. Yuning Zou and Mr. Hengbin Qiao.
For years, I have been deeply committed to providing pastoral and academic support to former, current and prospective researchers, including:
Ms. Nilam Parekh, MSc, MBA: currently a successful multilingual author and businesswoman in Warsaw, Poland.
Ms. Oksana Yakymiv: passionate researcher of Ethics in Business, Internationalisation Specialist, and a successfull businesswoman in Warsaw, Poland.
Ms. Sundas Mahar, MSc: a dedicated former student, currently a sucessful, fully funded PhD Researcher at the University of Glasgow.
Mr. Daniel Perry, MSc: an inspiring and creative student at Glasgow, local academic speaker and educator, recently awareded the well-deserved PhD scholarship, ready to commence his independent research venture.
Additionally, I have been collaborating with inspiring young leaders: Ms. Bipana Dhakal, founder of the Learning Fortress (Nepal), and Ms. Mauricia Abdol Tshilunda, of ElevateHer Africa Network (South Africa) on a topic of Digital Education, preparing together a paper on young people's challenges to online education access and participation.
In the past I taught (and contributed to teaching) of the following graduate courses:
- Advanced Research Methodologies and Methods (2020-2021);
- Educational Policy-Making in Practice (2019-2020);
- Psychology of Adult Learning (2016-2019);
- International Issues in Adult and Continuing Education (2016-2019);
- MOOC: Multilingual Learning in Globalised World (2016-2018).
Professional activities & recognition
- 2007 - 2017: University of Glasgow Research Scholarships
Professional & learned societies
- 2021: Research Network 4: National Strategies for Lifelong Learning Member (Poland), ASEM Education and Research Hub for Lifelong Learning
- 2020: Secretary (Group on Cybersecurity Education), International Centre for Chemical Safety and Security (ICCSS) Global Partners
Selected international presentations
- 03/2022: Towards Cybersecurity Education Ecosystems (Cybersecurity Education Conference, Internet Development Initiative, Georgia & CyBureau The Institute for Cyber Policy Studies, Israel/ online globally)
- 12/2021: Challenges in Digital Education (UN Internet Governance Forum Youth Summit, Katowice, Poland/ online, globally)
- 11/ 2021: Introduction to Cybersecurity in International Relations (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland, Warsaw, Poland/ online, globally)
- 10/2021: Good Practices in Cybersecurity and Reliability in Industry (International Centre for Chemical Safety and Security (ICCSS), Warsaw, Poland/ online, globally)