Dr Sofiat Olaosebikan
- Lecturer in Algorithms and Complexity (Computing Science)
Dr Sofiat Olaosebikan recently completed her PhD (awarded July 2020) in Computing Science from the University of Glasgow, under the supervision of Prof David Manlove. Her work leveraged graph-theoretic tools and optimisation techniques to aid the design of efficient algorithms for matching problems. Her PhD thesis is entitled The Student-Project Allocation Problem: Structure and Algorithms. Prior to this, she obtained an MSc in Mathematical Sciences from the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in 2015, and a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Ibadan in 2012. Her journey from being a major in mathematics to becoming a researcher in computing science is fuelled by her passion for problem solving and programming.
As much as Sofiat enjoys using her computing and mathematics skills to solve real-world problems, she is even more passionate about using her skills to help those that do not have the same opportunity she had. In 2018, she started an initiative – PWSAfrica – to empower young scientists in Africa with computer programming skills. In recognition of the significance of this initiative, she was named as one of the University of Glasgow Future World Changers.
Sofiat is motivated by research problems arising from practical applications. Within the School, she is a member of the Formal Analysis, Theory and Algorithms (FATA) research group. Her interests include:
- algorithms design using graph theory;
- stable matchings;
- combinatorial optimisation;
- computational complexity;
- algorithm engineering;
She was lead applicant for the following grants, which were received towards the PWSAfrica initiative.
- Global Challenges Research Fund (2020). Amount: £35,000.
- School of Computing Science, University of Glasgow (2018 and 2019). Amount: £15,000.
- University of Glasgow Chancellor's Fund (2019). Amount: £5,000.
- The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance (2018). Amount: £1,000.
COMPUTING SCIENCE 1P (COMPSCI1001, 2020/21)
Personal website: www.sofiatolaosebikan.com.