Dr Mohamed Khamis
- Reader (Computing Science)
Dr. Mohamed Khamis is a reader (associate professor) in the School of Computing Science and a member of the Glasgow Interactive SysTems (GIST) research section. He was a Lecturer at the University of Glasgow from 2018 until 2022. He received his PhD from Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU) in Germany. He was supervised by Florian Alt, and Andreas Bulling. He also worked as a research associate at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) in Germany, and at the German University in Cairo (GUC) in Egypt.
Mohamed's research interests are at the intersection of Human Computer Interaction, Ubiquitous Computing, and User Privacy and Security.
He is PI on research projects (> £700,000) funded by the Royal Society of Edinburgh, the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Facebook Reality Labs, REPHRAIN and the PETRAS National Centre for IoT Systems Cybersecurity.
Mohamed has published 85+ peer reviewed papers, including 8 papers at ACM CHI, the top conference in Human-Computer Interaction, three of which received honourable mention awards (top 5% of ~3000 submissions). He also published at top conferences and journals like TOCHI, IJHCS, UIST, UbiComp, ETRA, ICMI, PACM IMWUT, and MobileHCI.
Mohamed is an editorial board member of IJHCS and ACM IMWUT, and a program committee member of ACM CHI since 2019. He was previously a PC member of CHI LBW, PerDis, MUM, and others. He is the General co-chair of ACM PerDis 2019. He also organized several workshops like PETMEI, ArabHCI and Human-Drone Interaction.
As an Associate College Member for EPSRC, he reviews research grants proposals submitted to the EPSRC. He is also an academic advisor for the UK's Commonwealth Scholarship Commission.
Many of Mohamed's accomplishments resulted from collaborations with scholars in Germany, UK, France, USA, Japan, Finland, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, and Egypt.
He is a member of ACM and SIGCHI. He is a founding member of Cairo ACM SIGCHI chapter, and co-organized the first ArabHCI workshop at CHI 2018.
You can learn more about my research through:
I worked in a diversity of topics within HCI, privacy and ubiquitous computing. In particular, I am active in the fields of eye tracking, pervasive displays, usable security, and user privacy. My contributions are at the crossroads of user privacy and ubiquitous computing:
- Usable Security and Privacy: I contributed to both: (1) understanding threats to user privacy that are caused/facilitated by ubiquitous technologies, such as thermal attacks (CHI'17, Honorable Mention), and shoulder surfing (CHI'17, MUM'17, INTERACT '19, ETRA'20), and (2) inventing novel ubiquitous systems for protecting user privacy and security on mobile devices (CHI'20, CHI'19, ICMI'17, MTI), public displays (IMWUT, ETRA'19, PerDis'17), and in VR (TOCHI, IEEE VR'19, USEC'17).
- Designing Gaze-based Systems: I contributed to comprehensively understanding and addressing challenges of gaze interaction on ubiquitous devices, such as mobile devices (CHI'18, MobileHCI'18) and public displays (UIST'17, UbiComp'16, MUM'16), as well as proposing novel concepts that employ gaze to address problems on public displays (CHI'18, IMWUT, PerDis'17), and mobile devices (ICMI'17). I published survey papers that reflect on prior work and set the agenda for future research in eye tracking on mobile devices (MobileHCI'18) and eye tracking for security applications (CHI'20).
You can learn more about my research and bio on http://www.mkhamis.com/
Abdelrahman, Y., Khamis, M. , Schneegass, S. and Alt, F. (2017) Stay Cool! Understanding Thermal Attacks on Mobile-based User Authentication. In: CHI '17: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Denver, CO, USA, 6-11 May 2017, pp. 3751-3763. ISBN 9781450346559 (doi: 10.1145/3025453.3025461)
Khamis, M. , Trotter, L., Mäkelä, V., von Zezschwitz, E., Le, J., Bulling, A. and Alt, F. (2018) CueAuth: comparing touch, mid-air gestures, and gaze for cue-based authentication on situated displays. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, 2(4), 174. (doi: 10.1145/3287052)
Eiband, M., Khamis, M. , von Zezschwitz, E., Hussmann, H. and Alt, F. (2017) Understanding Shoulder Surfing in the Wild: Stories from Users and Observers. In: CHI '17: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Denver, CO, USA, 6-11 May 2017, pp. 4254-4265. ISBN 9781450346559 (doi: 10.1145/3025453.3025636)
Khamis, M. , Buschek, D., Thieron, T., Alt, F. and Bulling, A. (2017) EyePACT: eye-based parallax correction on touch-enabled interactive displays. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, 1(4), 146. (doi: 10.1145/3161168)
Khamis, M. , Becker, C., Bulling, A. and Alt, F. (2018) Which One is Me?: Identifying Oneself on Public Displays. In: 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, QC, Canada, 21-26 Apr 2018, p. 287. ISBN 9781450356206 (doi: 10.1145/3173574.3173861)
Khamis, M. , Baier, A., Henze, N., Alt, F. and Bulling, A. (2018) Understanding face and eye visibility in front-facing cameras of smartphones used in the wild. In: 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, QC, Canada, 21-26 Apr 2018, p. 280. ISBN 9781450356206 (doi: 10.1145/3173574.3173854)
Mäkelä, V., Khamis, M. , Mecke, L., James, J., Turunen, M. and Alt, F. (2018) Pocket Transfers: Interaction Techniques for Transferring Content from Situated Displays to Mobile Devices. In: 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, QC, Canada, 21-26 Apr 2018, p. 135. ISBN 9781450356206 (doi: 10.1145/3173574.3173709)
|REPHRAIN||PriXR: Protecting XR User and Bystander Privacy (link)||£79,997k||Co-I|
|PETRAS||PT.HEAT: Preventing THErmal ATtacks (link)||£177,075k||PI|
|Facebook Reality Labs||Facilitating Parental Insight and Moderation for Safe Social VR (link)||$75,000||PI|
|NCSC / RITICS||Emergence of cybersecurity capability across Critical National infrastructure||£140,731||PI|
|EPSRC||TAPS: Assessing, Mitigating and Raising Awareness of the Security and Privacy Risks of Thermal Imaging (link)||£262,119||PI|
|Royal Society of Edinburgh||Understanding and Mitigating the Security Risks of Thermal Imaging (link)||£65,616||PI|
Current PhD Students
- Abraham, Melvin
Human Centered Methods to Communicate Security & Privacy Critical Information in Virtual Reality
- Alotaibi, Norah Mohsen T
Title: Understanding and Mitigating the Threats of Thermal Imaging on Security and Privacy
- Alsakar, Noora
Investigating perceived privacy risks of eye tracking in handheld mobile devices and designing protective measures
- Bretin, Robin
Flying Robot Friends: Studying Social Drones in Virtual Reality
- Buker, Abeer Abdullah N
Automatic analysis of conversational patterns in online chats.
- Farzand, Habiba
Understanding & Mitigating Shoulder Surfing
- Fiani, Cristina
Facilitating Parental Insight and Moderation for Social Virtual / Mixed Reality
- Mathis, Florian
Exploring the Use of Virtual Reality for Human-centred Usability and Security Research
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2020: Top 5% of submissions to CHI 2020 (CHI Honorable Mention Award)
- 2018: Top 5% of submissions to CHI 2018 (CHI Honorable Mention Award)
- 2018: Top 5% of submissions to MobileHCI 2018 (MobileHCI Honorable Mention Award)
- 2017: Top 5% of submissions to CHI 2017 (CHI Honorable Mention Award)
- 2017: Top 5% of submissions to MUM 2017 (MUM Honorable Mention Award)
- 2021: (MuC Honorable Mention Award)
- 2020 - 2021: Royal Society of Edinburgh Sabbatical Research Grant
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2020: EPSRC, Associate College Member
- 2019: Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, Academic Adviser
- 2020: UKRI, UKRI Future Leaders Fellow Peer Review College
- 2020: REPHRAIN, REPHRAIN
- 2021: ESRC,
- 2021: German Research Funding Council (DFG) - Reviewer,
- 2020: International Journal on Human-Computer Studies Editorial Board
- 2021: IMWUT Editorial Board
- 2019 - 2021: ACM CHI Program Committee
- 2021: IFIP TC13 Interact
- 2018: ACM CHI LBW Program Committee
- 2017 - 2018: ACM PerDis Program Committee
- 2016 - 2018: MUM Program Committee
- 2019 - 2020: Special issue on Pervasive Displays in Springer journal on Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (Guest editor)
- 2019: Special issue on HCI in the Arab World in the ACM Interactions Magazine (Guest editor)
Professional & learned societies
- 2018: Professional Membership, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- 2018: Professional Membership, Special Interest Group in Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI)
- 2018: Founding member, Cairo ACM SIGCHI Chapter
Selected international presentations
- 2020: Keynote on "The interplay between Privacy, Security and Eye Tracking in the Wild: Opportunities and Challenges" at the ECCV 2020 Workshop on Open Eyes: Eye Gaze in AR, VR, and in the Wild. (UK, Delivered online due to COVID19)
- 2020: Keynote on "Security and Privacy in the 21st Century" at the IndiaHCI 2020 Workshop on Privacy and the Pandemic in South Asia: Work From Home Culture, Class and Domestic Space. (India. Delivered online due to COVID19)
- 2020: Invited talk on "Human-centered Security" at CairoCHI, Egypt's official ACM SIGCHI local chapter. (Cairo, Egypt. Delivered online due to COVID19)
- 2019: Guest Talk on "Privacy Respecting Ubiquitous Systems" at the University of Edinburgh, UK. (University of Edinburgh, UK)
- 2018: Guest Lecture at the "Wave, Touch, Look! - Novel interaction modalities for large public displays" Workshop (University of Palermo, Italy)
- 2018: Guest Talk at the "Current state and future of gaze interaction" Symposium (Technical University of Berlin, Germany)
- 2017: Guest Lecture at the Ubiquitous Interactive Systems workshop (University of Stuttgart, Germany)
- 2016: Invited Talk at the IoT research colloquium (German Universtiy in Cairo, Egypt)
- 2021: Guest Lecture on Security and Privacy in the age of Ubiquitous Computing (University of Lisbon)
- 2021: Guest Lecture on Security and Privacy in the age of Ubiquitous Computing (University of Leicester)
- 2021: Invited talk on Security and Privacy in the age of Ubiquitous Computing (Scot-Secure 2021)
- 2021: Invited talk (King's College London (KCL))
- 2021: Invited talk on Human-centered Security (Health & Safety Executive (HSE))