Professor Nick Pearce
- Richmond Chair of Fine Arts (History of Art)
- Photography in China, particularly Western photographers and their work in China from the mid-19th to the early 20th century, but also Chinese photographers and how photography was received in China during this period.
- Collectors and patterns of collecting of Chinese art both in the West and in China, during the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. This includes the growth of both private collectors and institutional collecting and the mechanisms that fuelled these activities.
- Historiography of Chinese art studies in the West from the late-19th through to the first-half of the 20th century.
- Scottish Centre for Chinese Research
- Provenance research in Chinese art
Asian Art Web-based Provenance project with the Freer-Sackler Galleries, Washington DC (Berg Foundation Grant), 2015-16.
Co-investigator: Evaluating Methods of Aesthetic Enquiry Across Disciplines’ Leverhulme Network (PI: University of Manchester) 2015-18.
Funded by the Leverhulme Trust. Worked together with Dr Yupin Chung and staff of the National Museums Liverpool over a 3-year project to create an electronic catalogue of the Collection, made available to the public as a web-based resource in 2009.
A Provenance Database for Chinese Works of Art at The Burrell Collection. An AHRC-funded project, 2004.
I welcome applications from PhD students in the areas of photography in China, collectors, collecting and collections of Chinese works of art and the historiography of Chinese art studies in the West.
- Fung, Helena
From East to West and Back Again: A critical review of the cross-cultural consumption, collecting and historiography of Chinese ‘classic’ furniture from the Ming and early Qing dynasties.
- Hill, Katrina
Complicated Objects: Chinese Imperial Artefacts in Victorian Britain
- Hu, Qiao
Materiality, Visuality, and Spatiality of Incense Culture in Ming Dynasty China
- Maxwell, Christopher
A Delicate Legacy: Understanding World War II Era Provenance at the Corning Museum of Glass
- Ren, Baihua
The Water Mill – Authentication of Jiehua
- Zhao, Haoyang
Collecting objects from the Summer Palace in the mid-late 19th century British collections, the transformation of identities, receptions and outcomes.
- MSc Collecting and Provenance Studies in an International Context.
- Junior Honours: Images of China.
- Visiting Professor on the Masters Program in the History of the Decorative Arts, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- University Senate
- Christie’s Education Joint Board
- Hunterian Strategy and Advisory Boards
- Kelvinhall Project Board
- Confucius Institute and Scottish Centre for China Research Advisory Board
- Academic Council, Glasgow School of Art
- Board of Trustees, National Galleries of Scotland (2014 - )
- Board of Trustees, the Sir William Burrell Trust (2014 - )
- Board of Trustees, the Textile Conservation Foundation (2012 - )
- Fellow, Smithsonian Provenance Research Initiative, Smithsonian Institution
- Advisory Committee for Research on European Paintings, National Gallery London
- Major Capital Projects Strategic Board, National Galleries of Scotland