Dr Wei Yang
- Senior Lecturer (Management)
Wei is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Strategy and previously held academic positions at Nankai University and China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) in China. She also held academic visiting positions at the Columbia University Business School in New York and the Centre of International Business of the University of Leeds (CIBUL).
Wei holds a BA and MA from Beijing Normal University and PhD in International Management from the Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg in Germany. Prior to academia, she was a management consultant at Towers Perrin in Beijing.
Her research focuses on competitive strategy and alliance governance, particularly in the context of emerging markets. Her research examines:
- how domestic and foreign firms engage in dynamic competition in order to gain a competitive advantage, and
- how the board of directors and top management team are structured and make decisions to achieve successful partnerships.
She has published in leading management journals including International Business Review and Journal of Business Research. Her research has been recognized with international award and nomination for award from academic associations such as the Academy of Management (AoM) and European International Business Academy (EIBA).
Wei is part of the Strategy and Technology Management research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Competitive strategy and competitive dynamics
- Board of directors and top management team
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Multinational company strategy
- Emerging markets
- ‘The formation and growth path of new venture business models’. National Natural Science Foundation of P.R.China. CI. 2017-2021. Award value: £240,000
- ‘Research on joint venture board of directors’. Tianjin Social Sciences Foundation. PI. 2016-2017. Award value: £3,000.
- Scholarship for research visit to overseas institution. China Scholarship Council. 2015-2016. Award value: £10,000.
- ‘Competition in manufacturing firms’. China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) Research Grant. CI. 2012-2013. Award value: £10,000.
- ‘Competition among Chinese and foreign firms’, China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) Research Grant. CI. 2011-2012. Award value: £10,000
- “Dynamic competition in the UK’s high-tech industries”. 2018 University of Glasgow, College Strategic Research Seedcorn Fund, Principal investigator (£1,000)
Wei is interested in supervising PhD researchers in Strategy and International Business. In particular, she welcomes topics in research areas such as competitive strategy, multinational company strategy, alliance governance and board of directors, and strategy in emerging markets.
Completed PhD topics
- Guanxi and corruption in the Chinese public sector
- Top management team and competitive dynamics
- Strategic Management
- International Strategy
- Strategic Alliances
- International Business
- Business in Emerging Markets & Asia
Wei is a member of the Academy of Management; Strategic Management Society; and International Association of Chinese Management Research (IACMR). She is a regular reviewer for leading management journals including Journal of World Business; and Global Strategy Journal.