Dr Ufuk Gucbilmez
- Senior Lecturer in Finance (Accounting & Finance)
Adam Smith Business School, Room 670, Main Building, University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8QQ
Ufuk joined the Adam Smith Business School as Senior Lecturer in Finance in February 2020. He previously held posts at the University of Bath School of Management and University of Edinburgh Business School. He holds a PhD in Finance from the Lancaster University Management School.
Ufuk is a member of the School's Finance research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Corporate finance (initial public offerings, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, real options)
- Behavioural finance (disposition effect, reinforcement learning, realisation utility)
Ufuk is looking to supervise PhD theses in the broad areas of corporate finance and behavioural/experimental finance.
Specific topics of interest
- IPO cycles and hot markets.
- IPO mechanisms (book-building, auction).
- IPO underwriting and analyst coverage.
- The disposition effect
- Investor learning models
- Realisation utility models
- Youyan Fu (with Seth Armitage, defended 2015)
- Tomás Ó Briain (with Peter Moles, defended 2016)
- Yang Bai (with Jo Danbolt, defended 2017)
- Lillian Zhu (with Angelica Gonzalez, defended 2019)
Ufuk has substantial teaching experience in the areas of corporate finance and investments. He has taught courses for Executive MBAs as well as for postgraduate students and undergraduate students.
Past teaching experience
- Understanding financial principles
- Fundamentals of corporate finance (elective for MSc Management suite)
- Investment theory (core for MSc Finance and Investment)
- Investment banking (honours elective)
- Investment and trading (honours elective)
- Investment and securities markets (honours elective)
- Principles of finance (2nd year)
- Introduction to corporate finance (2nd year)
Ufuk is an external examiner at:
- Aston Business School
- University of Plymouth
He has served on the review committees of:
- Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting
- Financial Management Association European Conference
- INFINITI Conference on International Finance
- INFINITI Conference on International Finance Asia-Pacific
- World Finance & Banking Symposium
- World Finance Conference
Selected media quotes and commentary
- STAR Market offers opportunities for investment into China’s tech industries, World Finance, Autumn 2019, pp. 112-113
- The reg A+ route to going public: Complement or substitute?, Finance Monthly, September 2017, pp. 32-33
- Regulatory interference weakens the link between IPO activity and market conditions, Global Banking & Finance Review Magazine, Issue 2, pp. 124-125
- The IPO market has sprung back into life with a wealth of businesses listing on the London Stock Exchange, EQ Magazine, Winter 2015, pp. 32-34
- Alibaba’s IPO signals a fresh appetite for Chinese technology, The Conversation, May 8, 2014
- China’s Nasdaq fails to get off the ground as venture capitalists look to the US, The Conversation, March 13, 2014