Professor Sabina Siebert
Professor Sabina Siebert
- Professor of Management (Management)
I currently work as a Professor of Management in the Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow. With my background in linguistics, literature and cultural studies I started my career as a tutor in British culture in the University of Łódź, and a tutor in Slavonic culture at the University of Glasgow. My interest in social-cultural theory and research into representations of working-class culture brought me closer to the area organisational sociology, which consequently led to a move to Caledonian Business School where I worked in the Department of People Management, and the Department of Cultural Business. In 2010 I moved to the University of Glasgow where I research and teach in the area of change management, organizational behaviour and human resource management.
Sabina is a member of the Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Organisation Studies
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Trust
- Management in the Creative Industries
- Organisational Learning
- 2016 - British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship, 'Trust in science: Managing overflow in science', (£155,000)
- 2016 - ‘Exploring the effects of context on senior medical trainee transition experiences: a multi-country project,’ Association for Medical Education in Europe (Co-investigator, £10,000)
- 2015 – 'Exploring the transition experiences of higher-stage medical trainees’, funded by the Scottish Medical Education Research Consortium (co-investigator, £69,000)
- 2014 - Consultants’ experience of the changing nature of work in the NHS in Scotland, the British Medical Association, Scottish Consultants Committee (co-investigator, £49,000)
- 2010 – ‘Voluntary work experience in the creative and cultural industries’ Business, Management, Accountancy and Finance subject group in HEA (Principal Investigator, £3,000)
- 2008 – ‘The use of electronic submission and assessment system within a Virtual Learning Environment’, Business, Management, Accountancy and Finance subject group in HEA (Principal Investigator, £3,000)
- 2007 – ‘Exploring the use of Bachelors degree in relation to work based learning’ conducted for the Quality Assurance Agency Scotland (Co-investigator, £8,000)
- 2006 – ‘Gender Balance in Community and Local Authority Councils’, conducted for The Scottish Adult Learning Partnership Edinburgh (Principal Investigator, £28,000).
Potential PhD Supervision Topics
Dr Sabina Siebert is interested in supervising PhD researchers in the area of organizational trust, the workplace learning, change management, trade union studies and management in the creative and cultural industries.
PhD: Organisational trust and distrust within an Industrial Relations Environment
Thesis title: Organizational Trust Repair: A multi-stakeholder perspective
Co-supervisors: Professor Graeme Martin and Professor Iain Docherty
Thesis title: Assessing the aftermath of oil pollution in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria: A paradigm shift in organisational culture through trust repair perspectives
Co-supervisor: Professor Graeme Martin
PhD: Labour process theory and the social production of retail work spaces
Co-supervisor: Professor Andrew Cumbers
Professional Doctorate (2009- 2015): The Effects of regulatory competency assessment on professional identity. A Foucauldian analysis
Courses taught in the last 5 years:
Managing Complex Change (MA), Management in the Creative Industries (MSc), Managing Creativity and Innovation (MSc), Research Methods (MA and MSc), Organizations and Management (MA), International Human Resource Management (MSc), Policy in the Cultural Sector (BA).
Professional activities and membership of professional bodies
- British Academy Mid-Career Fellow (2016/17), conducting research on Trust in Biomedical Science: Managing Overflow in Science;
- Former Editor-in-Chief (2015-2017) and Co-Editor (2013-2015) of European Management Journal;
- Visiting Professor at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden;
- Visiting Fellow at Macquarie University, Australia (2014-2015);
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD);
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (from 2004);
- Member of the European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS);
- Member of the Academy of Management (AoM);
- Member of the British Academy of Management (BAM);
- Member of the European Academy of Management (EURAM);
- Member of the Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM);
- Editorial Board Member of the following journals:
- Work Employment and Society;
- Journal of Management Inquiry;
- Human Resource Development Quarterly.