Professor Robert Chia
- Research Professor in Management (Management)
Robert Chia is Research Professor of Management at the University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School. He holds a PhD in Organization Studies (Lancaster), an MA with distinction in Organizational Analysis, a Diploma in Training and Development Management, and a Technical Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from the Singapore Polytechnic. He is an elected Fellow (by invitation) of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, (FRSA) United Kingdom, as well as a former invited member of the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (SAMS), UK.
Prior to entering academia, Robert worked for 16 years in aircraft maintenance engineering, manufacturing management and human resource management for a large multinational corporation based in the Asia Pacific. As an academic, he has held various positions including professorial appointments at the universities of St Andrews, Aberdeen and Strathclyde prior to taking up his research professorship at the University of Glasgow. Robert has consulted extensively with well-known international organizations and institutions such as the International Federation of Red Cross (Geneva), British Airways, BNFL, British Aerospace, Ciba-Geigy and Cathay Pacific Airlines. He has been invited to give numerous keynote presentations at major academic conferences as well as in practitioner conferences.
Robert is a member of the Strategy and Decision Making research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Decision-Making & Unintended Consequences;
- Strategic Capabilities, Action & Practice;
- Organizing/Organizational Functions/Dysfunctions;
- The Aim of University Business Schools;
- East-West Mentalities & Predispositions and their Implications for Business Practices.
- Executive Education: Strategic Thinking/Practice
- MBA: Scenarios Thinking
- EGOS 2015 Symposium, Athens
- Strategy Process Sub-Plenary EGOS 2014 Symposium, Rotterdam
- Strategy AS Practice Sub-Plenary EGOS 2016, Naples
- Strategy Conference: ‘Practices, Processes, Governance’, Edinburgh Business School, April 2015
- East-West Conference: Rebuilding Management Theory with Inspiration from China, Stockholm Business School, Aug 2014.
Robert has published extensively in top international management and organization journals including:
- Organization Science
- Organization Studies
- Human Relations
- Long Range Planning
- British Journal of Management
- Academy of Management Journal
- Journal of Management Studies
- Management Learning
- Academy of Management Learning and Education
- Journal of Management Inquiry and Revue Française de Gestion.
He is the author/editor of five books as well as book chapters in a variety of management sub-fields. His latest books include Strategy without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action (with Robin Holt), published by Cambridge University Press, 2009 and Philosophy and Organization Theory: Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Emerald Group Publishing. He has been a senior editor with the international journal Organization Studies and is on the international advisory board of several established management journals including Journal of Management Studies, Management Learning, European Management Journal, Journal of Change Management and the Journal of Chinese Management.
External PhD examiner
- Cambridge University
- Warwick University
- Cranfield University
- Exeter University
- University of Lund (Sweden)
- University of Limburg (Belgium)
- Norwegian BI Business School (Oslo)
- University of Bristol
- University of Lancaster
- University of East Anglia
External assessor - professorial appointments
- University of Nottingham,
- Strathclyde University
- Queens University Belfast