Dr Matt Offord
- Lecturer (Technology-Enhanced L&T) (Management)
Dr Matt Offord is a former Royal Navy Officer with a background in training design and development. He has designed collective training interventions around the world and recently delivered Train-the-trainer and mentoring courses for the Health Sector in the Middle East for Kaplan Leadership. He is also a leadership scholar with an MBA in Leadership Studies from Strathclyde Business School and a PhD from Durham University Business School. Matt conducted his early career research into training methods used by the Royal Navy from the University of Oxford as a Hudson Fellow from 2016 to 2017. This was also the point Matt started teaching in Higher Education.
Matt is a member of the School's Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour research cluster.
Dr Matt Offord studied prestige in leadership and social learning from a Cultural Evolution perspective. Matt continues to be fascinated by Cultural Evolution and uses social network analysis and simulation to investigate how leadership develops and changes in the 21st Century with specific emphasis on prestige, punishment and other group behaviours. Matt is also a digital educator and conducts scholarship into the role of technology in education.
His specific interests are:
- Cultural evolution
- Social learning
- Social network analysis
- Games based learning
- Digital education
- RN Defence Fellowship (2010 – 2017)
- Hudson Fellowship (2016 - 2017)
- The cultural evolution of leadership
- Team development
- Free-riding and punishment in teams
Professional activities & recognition
- 2016 - 2017: RN Hudson Fellow (Oxford University)
- 2010 - 2017: RN Defence Fellow
Professional & learned societies
- 2021 - 2022: Member, The Cultural Evolution Society
- 2017: Fellow, The Institute of Leadership and Management
- 2021: Fellow, Recognising Excellence in Teaching (RET)