Professor John Tsoukalas
- Professor of Economics (Economics)
John Tsoukalas joined the Adam Smith Business School in August 2011. He previously held positions at the University of Nottingham and served as an economist at the Bank of England. He holds an undergraduate degree from the Athens University of Economics and Business and a PhD degree from the University of Maryland, USA.
Curriculum vitae: John D Tsoukalas (pdf, 103kb)
John is a member of the Macroeconomics research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Applied Econometrics
- Financial Economics
- Monetary Economics
Leverhulme Trust research grant (2014-2017, Principal Investigator): ''Where is the News in Business Cycles: A New Approach with Novel Methodologies'' £ 120,000.
British Academy research grant (2015-2017): ''The interaction between investment and inventories in the UK and European economies: new evidence and lessons from the financial crisis'' £ 10,000.
British Academy research grant (2008-2010): ''New Approaches in Modelling UK Business Cycles'' £6,800.
British Academy research grant (2011-2013): ''On the dynamics of investment and the sources of business cycles in multisector macroeconomic models'' £ 3,750.
Current PhD students
- Lowe, Shane
Essays in International Finance in Small, Very Open Economies
- Financial Sector Stability and Growth (MSc)
- Advanced Macroeconomics (MSc and PhD)
- Investment, Finance and Asset Prices (MSc)
- International Finance
- Government and the Economy
Selected working papers
- News Shocks and Business Cycles: Bridging the Gap from Different Methodologies (co-author, C. Gortz)
- Optimal Bailouts of Systemic Banks (co-authors, Charles Nolan and Plutarchos Sakellaris)
- News and Financial Intermediation in Aggregate Fluctuations (co-author, C. Gortz)
- Separating News from Noise in VARs (co-author D. Korobilis, Luca Gambetti and Francesco Zanetti)
- Political Economics of Fiscal Consolidations and External Sovereign Accidents (co-authors, C. Achury and C. Koulovatianos)
- Investment and Inventory Dynamics: Evidence on Interactions (co-author, C. Gortz)
- The Importance of Signals of Quality for Corporate US bond Issuers: Some New Evidence (co-authors, P. Mizen and S. Tsoukas)
- The Time-Varying Nature of News Shocks (co-author D. Korobilis, Luca Gambetti and Francesco Zanetti)
- Elected executive committee member, International Society for Inventory Research.
- Research Affiliate, CES-ifo Research Networ
- Member, Euro Area Business Cycle Network
- External Research Fellow, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (Nottingham School of Economics).
- Visiting research scholar, Dept. of Economics, Johns Hopkins University (Spring 2011)
- Visiting research scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond (Spring 2012)
- Visiting research scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (Spring 2012)