Professor John Finch
- Head of School (Management)
John joined the Adam Smith Business School in October 2012 as Marketing Professor. Previously he was Marketing Professor at the University of Strathclyde, where latterly he was also Vice Dean (Knowledge Exchange) for Strathclyde Business School. John began his academic career as Lecturer in Economics at the University of Aberdeen, having completed his PhD at Lancaster University Management School. John’s research interests are in Market Studies, which is the application of actor network theory, science and technology studies and ethnography to understanding the interactions of markets and their broadly economic exchanges.
John is a member of the Marketing research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Business-to-business marketing
- Product and service development
- Market studies
- Economic sociology
- Regulation for sustainability
- Sorting Goods From Bads, Leverhulme Trust, PI, 2010-2013, £103,400.
- Innovation for Competitive Enterprises, EU Interreg IVA Programme, CI, 2013, (this part of the project was funded at €40,000)
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP #4459) with SI Associates; PI, 2011-2012, Technology Strategy Board, £135,000
- Technology Strategy Board, Nutrition for Life CR&D Competition, with Eat Balanced and University of Glasgow School of Medicine (Human Nutrition group), 2013-2014, CI, overall award £91,000 (marketing work accounts for £10,000).
Current PhD students
- Topic: Digitalisation technology innovation in a supply network - Exploring digitalisation technology adoption and associated impacts on B2B relationship characteristics
- Co-supervisors: Dr Anna J Morgan-Thomas and Monika Moehring (external supervisor)
- Topic: Exploring the factors affecting the customers' online brand engagement: A customer-based engagement
- Co-supervisor: Dr Thomas Anker
- Coordinator: Marketing component of MBA course Business Strategic Management, MBA core course
- Coordinator: MBA Consultancy Week, MBA core course
- Coordinator: Business-to-Business Relationship Management, MBA elective
- Coordinator: Business & Management 1B (Marketing) 2013-2014
- Coordinator: Advances in Business-to-Business Marketing, honours elective
John is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, has undertaken consulting work with a number of organisations (from large trans-national corporations to SMEs), is co-editor with Luis Araujo (Lancaster University) and Hans Kjellberg (Stockholm School of Economics) of Reconnecting Marketing to Markets (Oxford University Press, 2010), and contributes regularly to the Industrial Marketing and Purchasing group and to the Market Studies research group.