Dr Jan Breitsohl
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing (Management)
Dr Jan Breitsohl joined the University of Glasgow as Senior Lecturer in Marketing in April 2020. Prior to that, he worked as Senior Lecturer at the University of Kent, and as Lecturer at Aberystwyth University.
Jan holds a PhD in Marketing Psychology from Bangor University, and a German IHK diploma in Industrial Sales Management (‘Industrie-Kaufmann’) with three years of managerial experience in various business positions.
Jan is a member of the Marketing research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Consumer Aggression
- Online Communities
- Communication Management Strategies
- Experimental designs
- Online surveys
Prospective PhD students are encouraged to send Jan a targeted proposal (maximum two pages) which relates to the dark side of social media & consumerism.
In particular, proposals need to address one of the following points:
- What are the negative consequences of social media marketing (for consumers, for brands, for celebrities/influencers, for society at large)?
- Why do consumers make negative (unethical) comments towards brands, other consumers, or influencers on social media?
- How can brands manage hostile or hateful consumer-to-consumer interactions?
- The interplay between digital CSR, negative brand experiences, and consumer well-being
Jan strongly supports research-led teaching models that combine social media and collaborative research tools to provide interactive, evidence-based learning environments.
His teaching interests include:
- Digital marketing
- Consumerism & psychology
- The dark side of marketing
- Social media research tools
Member of the editorial board of The Information Society (ABS 3, IF 1.89)
- 2017 Most original paper award – Global Brand Conference, Kalmar, Sweden
- 2016 Best paper in track award (E-Marketing) – AM Conference, Newcastle
- 2015 Best paper in track award (E-Marketing) – AM Conference, Limerick
- 2014 Best paper in track award (E-Marketing) – AM Conference, Bournemouth
Jan has been track chair at several conferences, reviewer for leading international journals, and external examiner for various universities (Vivas, degree programmes, accreditations, etc.)