Professor Greg Stoner
- Professor (Accounting & Finance)
Greg has a PhD in accounting history and education from the University of Glasgow and is a Professor of Accounting, with primary research interests in the history of accounting, the accounting profession, accounting education and the impact and utilisation of information systems (and IT) in accounting practice and higher education.
Greg is currently Editor for Accounting Education (previously Accounting Education: an international journal), is on the editorial board of Accounting and Business Research, and was Associate Editor of Issues in Accounting Education (one of the three primary publications of the American Accounting Association) from 2010 to 2012.
Greg is Chair of the British Accounting and Finance Association Accounting Education Special Interest Group, is on the executive committee of the British Accounting and Finance Association, is Co-chair of the International Member Outreach Committee of the AAA (American Accounting Association) Teaching Learning and Curriculum Section, and ex officio member of the executive board of the IAAER, the International Association for Accounting Education and Research.
Greg has a long established involvement in the use of and research into the use of information technology in education. This resulted in a spell on secondment to the Learning Technology Dissemination Initiative in the mid 1990s; a major nationally funded project that was at the forefront of this area of development in Scotland at the time. Greg is a “Key Contact" with the Business, Management, Accounting and Finance Centre of the Higher Education Academy, having had similar roles with the earlier national centres for accounting and business education.
Greg’s broad experience of teaching and research has been accompanied by a wide range of administrative functions including alternate head of the accounting and finance subject group, director of taught postgraduate accounting programmes in accounting and finance, professional accreditation, student international mobility (study abroad and Erasmus), external engagement, responsibility for the development and maintenance of the website for Accounting & Finance, and VLEs (virtual learning environments), admissions, and publicity. Greg is currently Treasurer and on the Executive Board of the British Accounting & Finance Association's Accounting Education Special Interest Group and co-chair of the American Accounting Association's International Member Outreach Committee. Greg was also Member of the QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education) Benchmarking Review Group for Accounting & Finance (2014-2016).
Greg is a member of the Accounting research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Accounting history
- Accounting education
- The Accounting Profession
- Information systems in accounting
- Educational technology
- Business reporting
One of my current projects, with Kirsten Kininmonth, is research into the teaching of accounting at the University of Glasgow, and in this regard we are seeking information from past graduates of the BAcc or staff in the Department / Subject group. If you have any information or materials that might be useful to us we would appreciate your help. For details of the project please contact Kirsten or myself, and read the approved Participant Information Sheet.
- Co-Investigator on ESRC ISCF Next Generation Services bid of £1,250,00o for the project 'Augmented Professional Practice through Leading Innovation' (2018).
- Wards Fund Research Grant (2018) £3,000 for the project "The History of Accounting and the BAcc at the University of Glasgow" (with Kirsten Kininmonth)
- Erasmus+ ICM staff exchange grant c.£2,700 for mobility, teaching and PGR research collaboration with University of Sao Paulo (USP/FEA).
- Wards' Fund Grant of £1,500 for studies in the State Archives of Florence on Hiding Usury in the Italian Renascence.
- Application pending: the Russian Science Foundation, £480,000/£170,000, Development of professional accounting in Russia: balance training, market labour and public interest in a historical perspective (2014 & 2017)
- Carnegie Travel Fund, £2,200, 2012.
- Raised over £50,000 to help fund the BAFA AE SIG over the last seven years from professional and educational associations.
- Learning & Teaching Development Fund, £8,000, 2005/7.
Research student (PhD) supervision areas
At present, I would be especially interested in supervising research into the early history of accounting and bookkeeping and the development of the accounting and the accounting profession in international contexts. I would also be interested in supervising student research into accounting education (particularly in relation to skills development and the use of information and learning technologies) and research on the application of information systems in the field of accounting.
Current PhD students
Dalilah Binti Abdul Aziz
Topic: The accounting profession in Malaysia and the underrepresentation of the Bumiputra.
Topic: Return to Practice, Everyday Lifeworld of Audit Practices in a Local Chinese Accounting Firm
Recent PhD graduates
Topic: The history and development of accounting and the accounting profession in Lebanon
Co-supervisor - Professor John McKernan
Topic: Audit quality: evidence from the Indonesian Supreme Audit Board
Co-supervisor - Professor John McKernan
Topic: Sustainability reporting practices in Sri Lanka: current practices, nature and causes.
Co-supervisor - Professor John McKernan
Samar El Sayad
Topic: Management accounting within the supply chain context
Co-supervisor Prof Danture Wickramasinghe
Recent Course Contributions:
- Issues in Accounting Research (PGT – MAcc)
- Research Methodology (PGT)
- Business Reporting, Accounting and Management Information Systems (previously, Information and Computer Systems)
- The Accounting Profession (Level 2 u/g)
- Business Reporting and Financial Management (level 1 u/g)
- PhD Research Seminars (pgr)
- Managerial Accounting and Finance (level 1 u/g)
Earlier teaching experience:
- Management Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Management & Modelling
- Research Methodology
- MBA Accounting
- Computerised Accounting & Modelling
- Accounting for engineering students
- Management Information Systems
- Quantitative Methods
- Managerial Decision Models
- Management Accounting Information Systems
- IT Skills / Spreadsheet Modelling
- International Financial Management
- University of Ulster, MA/Dip (Advanced Accounting)
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, MBA
- Arab Academy of Science and Technology (Cairo & Alexandria), MBA (a collaborative programme with Cardiff Metropolitan University)
- External Doctoral Degree Assessor - Sothern Federal University of Russia (Rostov-on-Don)
Educational Evaluation / Expert Pannels:
- Member of the QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education) Benchmarking Review Group for Accounting & Finance (2014-2016)
- External Panel Expert on the Periodic Review of Accounting and Finance at De Montfort University (May 2016).
- External Adviser on the Westminster Business School University Validation Panel for the Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT), the first international university in Uzbekistan for the programmes BA (Hons) Business Management, BSc (Hons) Economics, and BSc (Hons) Economics with Finance (November 2015).
- Alternate Head of the accounting and finance subject group (Current)
- Director of Taught Postgraduate Accounting Programmes in Accounting & Finance (Current)
- BAcc Accreditation officer (including liaison with ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA & CIPFA) (Current)
- Senior Advisor of Studies (Current)
- Mobility Officer (International study abroad and Erasmus exchanges & developing links with international partners) (to 2016)
- Learning & Teaching Committee (Current)
- External Engagement Committee (Current)
- College Ethics Review Panel (to 2014)
External roles and engagement
- Editor of Accounting Education (formerly Accounting Education: an international journal) the official journal of the IAAER (International Association for Accounting Education and Research);
- Chair of the British Accounting and Finance Association Accounting Education Special Interest Group
- Member of the executive committee of the British Accounting and Finance Association
- Ex officio member of the executive board of the IAAER, the International Association for Accounting Education and Research.
- Co-chair of the International Member Outreach Committee of the AAA (American Accounting Association) Teaching Learning and Curriculum Section
- Associate Editor of Issues in Accounting Education (one of the three primary publications of the American Accounting Association) (2010 to 2012);
- Member of the Editorial Board of Accounting and Business Research;
- Guest Editor of the Word Congress of Accounting Educators and Researchers 2014 Special Edition of Accounting Education (2016);
- Member of the QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education) Benchmarking Review Group for Accounting & Finance;
- ICAS (Institute of Chartered accountants of Scotland) SEC Committee;
- Treasurer and Executive Board member of the British Accounting and Finance Association Accounting Education Special Interest Group;
- Research Development mentor for the Accounting Education Special Interest Group of BAFA;
- External examiner: University of Ulster, MSc Advanced Accounting (2011-2015);
- External examiner: Cardiff Metropolitan University MBA (2011-2015);
- External examiner: Arab Academy for Science Technology and Maritime Transport/Cardiff Metropolitan University MBA (2011-2015);
- External examiner: MSc in Strategic Information Systems at Strathclyde University (to 2011);
- Liaison ("Key Contact") with the Business, Management, Accounting and Finance Centre of the Higher Education Academy (formerly Business Education Support Team - BEST);
- Honorary auditor for the Committee of Heads of Accounting (BAA Sub-group);
- Accreditation Assessor for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS).