Professor Chandana Alawattage
- Professor in Accounting, Tax and Audit (Accounting & Finance)
Chandana joined the Adam Smith Business School as a Professor of Accounting in September 2019. Before coming to Glasgow, he was the Chair in Accounting at the University of Aberdeen Business School. He has experience of teaching and research in accounting and related subjects for more than 20 years now.
Chandana is internationally known as a critical accounting scholar through his publications in leading accounting journals, such as:
- Accounting, Organisations, and Society (AOS)
- Critical perspectives on Accounting (CPA)
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal (AAAJ)
Well-received academic texts include:
- “Strategizing management accounting: liberal origins and neoliberal trends” (2019)
- “Management accounting change: approaches and perspectives” (2007)
Among many other themes, he has published extensively on the issues pertaining to how western managerial and development discourses implicate on the polities, societies and the economies of the peripheral nations, and how people in peripheral nations accommodate and resist such discourses. His research has interesting ethnographic insights into the ways in which the dialectic between the global discourses and local practices takes place. He has extensively drawn on Marxist and post-Marxist social theories to theorise the connections between the global and the local.
Chandana is a member of the School's Accounting research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Cultural political-economy of accounting, organisational control, and governance
- Accountability and sustainable development
- Neoliberalism and accounting
- Ahmad, Anfaal
Neoliberal governmentality in management accounting, governance and accountability
- Rahman, Rehenuma
Sustainable Development Goals, Accountability and Governance: A case of Bangladesh.
- Santoso, Nanda Trio
Does Political Language Shape Public Sector Accounting Reform
- WANG, YUHENG
Confucianism, accounting and corporate social responsibility
- Zaki, Ahmad
Exploring Stakeholder Engagement of Indonesian Financial Institutions in their Social Media Communication
- Strategic management accounting
- Accounting theory
- Research methodologies