Dr Arjunan Subramanian
- Reader (Economics)
Arjunan Subramanian joined Economics in the Business School at the University of Glasgow in January 2011 having previously been based at the University of Warwick. Previously he held positions at the University of Gottingen, at the Centre for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn and at the National Council of Applied Economic Research in New Delhi, India. He attained his PhD at the University of Hohenheim, Germany in July 2007 having previously studied at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and Madras University in India.
Arjunan Subramanian is a member of the Microeconomics research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Development economics
- Environment and sustainability
- Agricultural economics
- Micro economics
- Behavioural economics
ESRC funded project
"Information, market creation and agricultural growth " Project funded by ESRC-DFID under the DFID/ESRC Growth Programme May 2011, November 2012-October 2016, Award £433K.
Scalable solar thermoelectrics and photovoltaics (SUNTRAP), Co-investigator (economics) in the multidisciplinary project involving different departments (Engineering and Chemistry) within the Glasgow University and different universities across Scotland and England. Project funded by EPSRC, September 2013- August 2017, Award £3 million.
The Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) funding under INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE PROGRAMME Bilateral - Travel from Scotland., June-July 2012, Award £1900.
Adam Smith Foundation Seedcorn Funding 2013-14, December 2013 – June 2014, Award £2000.
- Policies for Sustainability and Development (MSc);
- Theory and Principles in Sustainability (MSc);
- Development Policy.
- Micro Economics
Distinctions and scholarships
- Research Medal for outstanding research on development 2001, Global Development Network, World Bank, New Delhi.
- Award for outstanding Journal article in Review of Agricultural Economics 2007, American Agricultural Economics Association.
Conferences, workshops and presentations
- 2010: 12th International Consortium on Agricultural Biotechnology Research (ICABR) Conference on 'Bioeconomy Governance: Policy, Environmental and Health Regulations, and Public Investments in Research', Ravello, Italy, June.
- 2008: 12th International Consortium on Agricultural Biotechnology Research (ICABR) Conference on 'The Future of Agricultural Biotechnology: Creative Destruction, Adoption, or Irrelevance?', Ravello, Italy, June.
- 2006: International Association of Agricultural Economists Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, August.
- 2001: 24th International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) Conference, Salvador-Bahia, Brazil, August.
- 1998: Conference on 'Money and Finance in the Indian Economy', Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, December.
- 1997: Conference on 'Economic Theory and Policy', Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, January.
- 1997: VI Annual Conference on 'Contemporary Issues in Development Economics', Jadavpur University, Calcutta, December.
- 2002: Modelling workshop on 'CGE, Micro simulation and Double Calibration' at the University of Laval, Quebec, Canada, June. This event was supported by the International Development Research Centre, Canada.
- 2002: CGE Modelling Workshop jointly organised by CREFA of the University of Laval, Quebec and the CREA of the University Cheick Anta Doap, supported by the International Development Research Centre, Canada which was in Dakar, Senegal in May.
- 2002: Workshop on 'Public Expenditure and Poverty Reduction', supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada and organised jointly with Institut National de Statistique et d’Economie Appliquée (INSEA), Rabat-Morocco, January-February.
Presentations and competitions
- 2008: Invited presentation at United Nations University of Maastricht - UNU-MERIT, The Netherlands, September.
- 2001: Global Development Network second annual awards competition, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, December.