A good fraction of my work is done with other researchers in the Institute (these include Sarah Cleaveland, Heather Ferguson, Katie Hampson, Richard Orton, Richard Reeve). A lot is also done with PhD students, past and present. These include:
- (BBSRC). Forensic epidemiology using FMDV complete genome sequencing. (Co-supervised with Dr’s David Paton and Don King at the Institute of Animal Health, Pirbright) (2008-20011).
- Catherine Higham (Kelvin-Smith Studentship). Dynamic DNA and human disease: use of mathematical modelling to provide clinical prognoses in myotonic dystrophy (Co-supervised with Darren Monckton and Christina Cobbold) (2008-2011).
- (DTA-BBSRC studentship). Comparative epidemiology of fox parasites in urban and rural populations (Co-supervised with Louise Matthews) (2008-2012).
- (Kelvin-Smith studentship). Incorporating behavioural responses to health communication into epidemiological models. (Co-supervised with Rebecca Mancy and Kate Reid) (2010-2014).
I’ve been very lucky to have some outstanding students in the past. They have all gone to do interesting things:
- Eleanor Cottam (BBSRC). The micro-evolution of foot-and-mouth disease virus. (Co-supervised with Dr's David Paton and Don King at the Institute of Animal Health, Pirbright) (2004-2007).
Eleanor is currently undetaking a BBSRC funded post-doc at University of East Anglia
- (NERC). Stability and complexity in model ecosystems. (Co-supervised with Louise Matthews) (2005-2008).
Sunny is currently undertaking post-doctoral research in Tanzania
- (Macaulay Development Trust). Moorland biodiversity: modeling impacts of policy and land-use change. (Co-supervised with Simon Thirgood and David Miller, MLURI) (2005-2008).
Douglas is currently undertaking post-doctoral work in Australia
- (CONACyT) Life history evolution: Nematodes as a model. (Co-supervised with Jan Lindstrom) (2005-2008).
Anaid is currently undertaking NERC-funded post-doctoral research at Bristol University
- (Leverhulme Trust). Controlling infectious disease in wildlife populations. (Co-supervised with Sarah Cleaveland and Karen Laurenson, University of Edinburgh) (2006-2009).
Hawthorne is currently undertaking post-doctoral research at University of Toronto
- (University of Glasgow). Human-wildlife conflicts in Ethiopia: Livestock grazing strategies in semi-protected areas (2006-2009). (Co-supervised with David Macdonald and Claudio Sillero-Zubiri, WILDCRU) (2006-2009).
Flavie is currently undertaking post-doctoral research at Imperial
- (Scottish National Heritage). Assessing cumulative effects of wind farms on bird populations (2007-2010). (Co-supervised with Bob Furness, University of Glasgow) (2007-2010).
Liz is currently undertaking undertaking post-doctoral research at the University of the Highlands and Islands
- (NERC-Open Case). Population dynamics of mountain hares (Co-supervised with Simon Thirgood (now deceased) and Scott Newey) (2008-2011).
Annabel is now Project Officer for North East Scotland Scottish Wildlife Trust's: Saving Scotland's Red Squirrels project.
- (Stewart Studentship). Evolutionary and Ecological Dynamics of Antimicrobial Resistance (Co-supervised with Dominic Mellor) (2007-2011).
Alison is now undertaking post-doctoral research at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in Cambridge.
- (Kelvin-Smith Studentship). Mathematical Modelling of the Evolutionary Dynamics of Extreme Genomic Diversification (Co-supervised with Christina Cobbold Barbara Mable, and Dave Barry) (2007-2011).
Erida is starting a post-doc in Portugal