University of Glasgow

Regulations for Research Furth of Glasgow


Many research students will want to spend time working away from Glasgow during their period of research.  There are two basic categories of work furth of Glasgow which are distinguished for the purposes of these regulations:

(a) research in or associated with academic or academic-related institutions other than the University of Glasgow; and

(b) research which entails fieldwork in places away from Glasgow.

For a period of research furth of Glasgow to be covered by these regulations, it will normally entail more than one month of continuous time away from the University.  A period of one year of continuous or discontinuous time furth of Glasgow is normally the maximum allowed. Students who are exceptionally approved for a period of research furth greater than one year in duration must contact the Finance Office Insurance and Risk Section to discuss their specific requirements.

All normal regulations applying to research students at the University of Glasgow ( training, supervision, progress, appeals, etc.) continue to apply to research students working furth of Glasgow.

Some research students will be attending institutions which the University has approved in advance as a base for students working furth of Glasgow.  In such cases the only relevant regulations below needing to be heeded are those asterisked (*).  For institutions to be added as an approved host, an application must be made to the relevant Graduate School Board (GSB) by the Graduate School. In such an application, it will need to be shown how in general the institution in question can meet the expectations indicated in regulations 2.1 to 2.6.  Quinquennial reviews will be undertaken of the approved host institutions.


1.  General Regulations

These regulations apply to all research students working furth of Glasgow, with the exceptions noted above:

1.1* The research student’s supervisor(s) must ensure that they have full details regarding his/her work furth of Glasgow, specifically the dates of the period away and full contact addresses.

1.2* The research student’s supervisor(s) must ensure that all relevant persons (e.g. the Dean of Graduate Study (DOGS), the School/Research Institute Safety Officer, the leader of research laboratory where appropriate, etc.) are informed of the student’s period away.

1.3* The research student’s supervisor(s) must ensure that he/she leaves a record of the name, address and full contact details of his/her next of kin and that this information is lodged with the Graduate School.

1.4 The research student’s supervisor(s) must ensure that the requirements of the QAA Guide to Good Practice for Research Supervision can continue to be met as closely as possible during his/her work furth of Glasgow.
1.5 For insurance purposes, research students should complete a travel insurance form when they are working furth of Glasgow and it will involve an overnight stay or air travel within the UK or a journey outwith the UK. Students must be provided with an insurance cover note from the Finance Office prior to his/her departure.

1.6 Permission to work furth of Glasgow must be granted by the DOGS or by his/her representative.  To this end, a meeting should be held between the research student, his/her supervisor(s) and the DOGS, addressing the specific circumstances of the period away and noting how the relevant regulations are to be met.  This meeting should be minuted, and the minutes kept by the DOGS.  Students with CASE or Collaborative awards should have details of their work placement recorded at this meeting.  Thereafter recording for insurance purposes only is required.

1.7 For periods of work furth of Glasgow which exceed six months in a three-year period, permission is also required from the relevant GSB, although applications should be channelled through the Graduate School.  This regulation applies even if periods furth of Glasgow are discontinuous but amount in total to more than six months.  Should it be found that a research student has unexpectedly had to spend more than six months in total working away from Glasgow, the relevant GSB should be notified retrospectively.

1.8 Where necessary, applications for permission to work furth of Glasgow should be submitted in writing by the research student’s supervisor(s) to the relevant Graduate School, in the form of a letter which outlines how the relevant regulations are to be met.  Such a letter should normally be sent at least two months in advance of the proposed period(s) away.

Back to Top


2. Specific Regulations Applying to Research in Other Academic or Academic-Related Institutions

Many research students will spend periods researching in or associated with institutions other than the University of Glasgow.  If these are not approved institutions, the following regulations apply:

2.1 Where appropriate, a joint supervisor from the host institution can be appointed for the research student (to be agreed in writing).

2.2 If a joint supervisor is not appointed, arrangements must be put in place to ensure regular contact between the research student and his/her supervisor(s) in Glasgow (assuming that they are not themselves visiting the other institution).  The nature and frequency of this contact must be agreed and specified in writing.

2.3 Where possible, other sources of academic support at the host institution should be identified and noted (e.g. researchers in this institution; other academic visitors to the institution).

2.4 The quality and suitability of the laboratory facilities at the other institution should be established and noted.

2.5 The quality and suitability of the library facilities at the other institution should be established and noted.
2.6 Any local issues to do with safety and insurance, as relating to the other institution and practices there must have been fully explored and discussed with the research student.

Back to Top


3. Specific Regulations Applying To Research Which Entails Fieldwork

Many research students will spend periods conducting fieldwork, often in places far from Glasgow and often in remote locations far from conventional academic facilities.  Ideally, such fieldwork should not be conducted alone, but it is recognised that lone fieldwork will on occasion be unavoidable.  Sometimes such fieldwork will be conducted from a base in another institution, in which case the regulations in Section 2 above also apply.  The following specific regulations apply:

3.1 A formal risk assessment must be undertaken, and must be considered at a meeting of the research student, his/her supervisors and the DOGS.  The research student must provide a signed statement to indicate that he/she understands all components of the ‘risk assessment’.  Specifically, this ‘risk assessment’ should do the following:

(a) identify precisely the field area and/or field sites;

(b) identify the likely field conditions (i.e. climate, topography, remoteness, political sensitivities);

(c) establish what resources (i.e. shelter, clothing, provisions, safety equipment) will be required to cope with these conditions;

(d) establish what safety procedures (e.g. to do with moving across rough terrain, avoiding fatigue, keeping warm) will be required to cope with these conditions;

(e) identify any persons who can provide local advice on safety matters.

Where appropriate, reference should be made to the CVCP Code of Practice for Safety in Fieldwork, to the University Code of Practice for Fieldwork and to relevant professional guidelines.
3.2 It must be confirmed that all possible training for fieldwork has been identified and completed prior to the research student entering the field.  Where specialist training is required which goes beyond generic training in the Graduate School and School/Research Institute courses, arrangements should be made by the supervisor(s) to ensure that such training is provided.

3.3 Specifically, it must be confirmed that the research student is trained in all appropriate first aid and emergency procedures.  Again, if the generic training on offer is insufficient, arrangements should be made by the supervisor(s) to ensure that such training is provided.

3.4 Clear and agreed arrangements should be put in place to ensure that communication can be maintained, if at all possible, between the research student in the field and his/her supervisor(s) in Glasgow: i.e. by e-mail, telephone, fax, post (all addresses for such communication should be logged in advance).  (It is recognised that on occasion students may be in the field with their supervisor(s), in which case this regulation does not apply.)

3.5 Specifically, definite procedures should be established in advance whereby the research student can report a fieldwork problem to his/her supervisor(s) as swiftly as possible.

Back to Top