Introduction To Sports And Exercise Science For Nutritionists MED5146
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
An introduction to sports and exercise science for those nutritionists who want to enter the Sports Nutrition field.
The course will run in semester 2 at various times each week.
The course will be examined by a 1 hour examination (60% of final grade).
The coursework will be a write up of laboratory practical results in the format of a scientific paper of approximately 2500 words (40% of final grade).
Main Assessment In: April/May
This course aims to provide a good grounding in sports science as it relates to sports nutrition.
It is designed for those who already have a qualification in nutrition but limited knowledge of sports science.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to
1. Discuss critically the impact of nutrition and physical training of energy metabolism during rest and exercise.
2. Discuss critically the role of exercise and physical activity for regulation of energy balance and body weight.
3. Discuss critically the impact of body composition on exercise performance in different sports.
4. Discuss critically the effects of exercise and physical activity on insulin glucose dynamics.
5. Discuss critically the effects of exercise and physical activity on lipoprotein metabolism and plasma.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.