Student visas

EU Immigration Portal

Students should refer to the EU immigration portal, where visa information is displayed both for short stays and long stays. 

The sections below provide more information about the partner- specific visa arrangements: 

University of Glasgow

If you are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland then you will be required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK for the duration of the programme. This application can be made from 3 months before the start of your programme. You can check visa processing times for your country here.

Those who do require a Tier 4 visa will be required to pay a visa application fee, and in most cases you will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. The University of Glasgow International Student Support Team provide information and guidance on this process.

At the end of the 2nd mobility period, students will be asked to finalise the location of their 4th mobility period. Any student who confirms they will not be spending their 4th mobility period at the University of Glasgow will have their Tier 4 sponsorship withdrawn at this point. 

Please note, IMAESC students CANNOT apply for a Short-term study visa for the UK due to the mandatory work placements on the programme. 

Any UK visa related questions should be sent to the International Student Support Team at the University of Glasgow. 

University of Malta

Some non-EU nationals are not required to apply for a visa to enter Malta. A list of the nationalities who require a visa for entry to Malta can be found here.

Those who require a visa to enter Malta should apply for a D-visa.

Upon arrival in Malta, all non-EU students, regardless of whether they need a visa to enter Malta, are required to pay for a residence permit and also must also undergo a health check. The University of Malta International Student Support Team assists students in applying for their residence permit. 

Any Maltese visa related enquiries should be directed to the International Student Support Team at the University of Malta. 

Tallinn University

Some students will need to apply for a D-Visa to enter Estonia. A list of non-EU/EEA nationals who do not require a visa to enter Estonia can be found here.  Additionally, all Non-EU/EEA students must obtain the temporary residence permit for studies in Estonia.  

If students do not have a visa-free right to travel to Estonia then they will need to apply for the TRP and the D-visa for Estonia at the closest Estonian Embassy. Students should be aware that Estonia does not have a visa-issuing Embassy in all countries and that you may need to travel elsewhere to apply for the visa.  Please take the additional time and costs involved into account.

Any Estonian visa related queries should be directed to International Student Support Team at Tallinn University. 

Maynooth University

Visa information is available through our international office. The webpage is here -