Advice in the Event of an Accident/Incident

Stop the vehicle as soon as possible – it's an offence not to do so:

  • Turn off the engine.
  • Switch the hazard lights on.
  • Check for any injuries to yourself or your passengers.
  • Call the police and an ambulance immediately if anyone is hurt or if the road is blocked.
  • If it's a minor collision and there are no injuries, make a note of it in case the 3rd party claim for an injury.
  • Try to remain as calm as possible – its normal to be shaken after an accident/incident, take a few deep breaths and try to take stock of the situation the best you can.
  • Do not apologise or admit responsibility for the accident/incident until you're completely aware of what happened. This could protect you from liability if it was not your fault.
  • No admission of liability, either written or verbal, should be offered. Money should not be offered (or accepted) as payment toward accident repair.

 When to Call the Police:

  • If the other driver or drivers leave the scene without giving details.
  • If you think the other driver has no insurance or is under the influence of drink or drugs.
  • If you suspect that the other driver caused the collision deliberately.
  • Tell the police about the accident/incident within 24 hours – if you don't you may be given a fine, points on your licence or a disqualification from driving.
  • Exchange motoring details.
  • Share your name and the University address with everyone involved in the accident caused damage or injury – the law says you must do this.
  • Note down details of any other passengers and witnesses to the accident/incident.
  • Try to find out if the other driver is the registered owner of the vehicle, if they are not, find out who the owner is and get that information too (for instance, it might be a company car).

 What Information to Record at The Accident/Incident Scene:

  • The make, model, colour, and number plate of the vehicles involved in the accident/incident.
  • The time and date of the accident/incident.
  • The driving conditions, including the weather, lighting, and road quality (such as road markings, whether it's wet or muddy, condition of the road surface).
  • What sort of damage was caused to vehicles/property and where – e.g. nearside front wing and door (nearside is the passenger's side of your vehicle, offside is the driver's side).
  • Any injuries to drivers, passengers, or pedestrians.
  • The names and contact details of any witnesses.
  • Use your mobile phone to take pictures of the scene, the positions of the cars involved, and damage to the vehicles.
  • If no one else is involved in the accident/incident, e.g. you caused damage to private property or a parked car, you should leave a note where the owner can see it with your details. If you leave the scene of an accident/incident without leaving your details, you could be prosecuted.
  • It is the driver's responsibility to complete a Motor Vehicle Incident Report giving details of any accident/incident involving a University vehicle or hired vehicle on University business, no matter how minor. The report must be completed and submitted to Transport Services as soon as possible. (see link below)
  • Drivers are reminded that they are legally obliged to inform their personal insurance provider of any accidents/incidents resulting in an insurance claim.
  • All insurance claims are always submitted in the name of the driver. Report a Motor Vehicle Incident