You can submit a report if you are a University of Glasgow student, or on behalf of a University of Glasgow student. We recommend you read the following guidance. It will help you understand what will happen when you use this form to make a report. 


Guidance for submitting a report

The main reason for submitting a report is so that you can access advice and support. More generally, we want to foster a culture where bullying, harassment and discrimination of any kind are not tolerated and where everyone can go about their business in safety.

You have a lot of control over the confidentiality of any report you make - as well as any actions that might come from it. In any scenario where the University uses the reports to get a sense of any wider issues in our community, this data is only ever available in fully anonymised forms. 

Submitting a report with your name and contact details

What will happen

If you submit a report and give your name, a trained member of staff from Student & Academic Services will contact you and discuss the options or actions that are available to you. These might include:

  • informal advice
  • further informal investigations by Student & Academic Services staff
  • counselling
  • pursuing an internal complaint
  • or reporting to an external authority such as the police.

If, after talking to the contact in Student & Academic Service, you decide you wish to speak to the police, we can support you to do this.

You have a choice of how we contact you: the phone, by email or in person.

Should you request it, we do our best to find someone who shares your personal characteristics to contact you. For example, someone of the same sex or race.

If you decide to meet with a member of staff in person, you are welcome to bring another student or member of staff along with you.

You have control of the process: At any time after you submit the report, you can decide not to pursue the matters raised any further.

Your personal data: We will ensure that your personal data is held securely. See: 


Your report and your details will be treated as confidential. 

Your details and the details of the report will not be shared with anyone else without your consent.

Some students worry the report or their details might be shared with:

  • their supervisor (it won’t)
  • their sponsor or funder (it won’t)
  • the perpetrator (it won’t)
  • anyone they don’t want it to be shared with (it won’t)

Emergency intervention

There is only one circumstance in which we would act on a report without consulting you (although we would still make every effort to). That is if the report discloses information which suggests that the safety of an individual is at imminent risk.

In such a situation, the University may need to take immediate action. If you feel that your report may fall into this category, we would advise you to seek more .

Submitting an anonymous report

If you submit an anonymous report, we will have no way of knowing who submitted the report, so no one will make contact with you. 

Anonymous reports can sometimes help to provide an impression of issues arising in a particular part of the University (for example, in a specific academic unit or service), or across the University as a whole.  

In these instances, we might make informal enquiries into the issues identified in the report.

Alternatives to this reporting form

Instead of using this form, you can raise an issue with

  • your academic adviser
  • with a Respect Adviser
  • or with the head of school where you are studying.

If you prefer, you can raise issues directly with the

  • Executive Director of Student & Academic Services
  • the Chief Operating Officer
  • or the Principal.  

If you are living in a University-run residence, you can raise issues with

The SRC also provides a confidential advisory service which can be accessed in person or online.



Privacy Notice: the data submitted in this form

Your Personal Data

The University of Glasgow will be what’s known as the ‘Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us as part of the declaration process for Online Reporting system in relation to the University. This privacy notice will explain how The University of Glasgow will process your personal data.

Why we need it 

We need to collect data on the type of harassment or bullying behaviour you have reported, the options for this are:

  • Bullying
  • Harassment
  • Stalking
  • Relationship abuse (including ex-partner)
  • Sexual harassment
  • Sexual violence
  • Discrimination
  • Victimisation
  • Other

We then ask you to detail whether you are reporting on behalf of yourself or somebody else and how you/ the person who has been affected by the issue is connected to the University.

We then ask you to, optionally, indicate whether you/ the person who has been affected by the issue believes they have been targeted because of any of the following:

  • Age
  • Disability
  • Sex
  • Marital status
  • Gender reassignment
  • Pregnancy/ parental status
  • Race, nationality, ethnic origin, or perceived ethnic origin
  • Religion or belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Other

We then provide you with an optional free text box to provide any additional details of the report.

We collect all of the above data to ensure we direct you to the appropriate support mechanism within the University.

We then ask you to provide contact details (name, email address, telephone number) so a member of University staff can contact you and provide you with the necessary information so you can choose the appropriate course of action.

You are not required to complete this section, and this would be considered an anonymous report. However, this means the University cannot contact you, investigate the report, or take any form of disciplinary action.

Legal basis for processing your data

We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. In this instance, the University has a legitimate interest relating to the provision of an online reporting system for students of the University relating to harassment and bullying, and our duty of care to process the data you provide.

We must have a legal basis for processing all special category data, which you may provide us with if you provide your name and you have reported on harassment/ bullying in relation to health, sex life, sexual orientation, religion, political opinions, trade union membership, ethnicity or race. In this instance, by providing this optional information, you have given explicit consent for the University to process such data. The legal basis is therefore explicit consent.

The University has conducted a Legitimate Interest Assessment (LIA) and concluded this process is important to ensure we give due regard to the duty of care to our students and colleagues by ensuring there is an online system for them to report this type of behaviour.

What we do with it and who we share it with

All personal data we process is processed by our staff in the United Kingdom, with the exception of data processed on staff and students who are based at the Singapore Institute of Technology. Your data is not shared with any third parties and is only processed for the purpose of administering the online reporting system for students and ensuring duty of care to the students and others involved.

There are four members of University staff who have access to the reports. Reports will not be shared with anyone else without further consultation with the individual who is reporting. If an individual has named a perpetrator in their report the report will not be shared with that perpetrator.

If an individual wishes to have their report investigated further through one of the University’s formal processes, the information taken from the online report will not be shared without the reporting individual's permission. The individual can request that the information from their report be shared, however, this process is not automatic. If shared for use in a formal process, the data will be processed under the terms of that formal processes’ Privacy Notice.

The data may be reported anonymously for statistical purposes to EDSC/SEC/Senate/Court as deemed appropriate.

Keeping your personal data safe

The University has a series of technical and organisational measures in place to ensure that your personal data is protected and safeguarded. Please see the University’s Information Security webpages for more information.

How long do we keep it

Your report will be kept and deleted in line with the following:

  • Report date, plus one year.
  • If referred to another process (i.e. Complaints Resolution, Conduct, P&OD) in line with their retention schedule, which can be found within their Privacy Notice. All Privacy Notices are available on the University website.

What are your rights?

Under data protection legislation and as a student/ colleague of the University, you have a number of rights including the right to:

  • Withdraw consent, at any time, where that is the legal basis of our processing,
  • Access your personal data and obtain a copy, free of charge,
  • Rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you,
  • Erasure, that is, have your details removed from systems that we use to process your personal data,
  • Restrict the processing in certain ways,
  • Obtain a portable copy of data you have given to us in a commonly used electronic form and,
  • Object to certain processing of your personal data by us.

If at any point you believe the information we process relating to you is incorrect, you can request to see this information and may have restricted under limited circumstances, corrected. You also have the right to object to the processing. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact

Please see the University’s webpages for further information on your rights as a data subject.

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please submit your request via the webform or contact

* Please note that the ability to exercise these rights will vary and depend on the legal basis on which the processing is being carried out.


If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact the University Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter.

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at

If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)

For further information

If you are unsure about anything within the Privacy Notice, then please contact the University’s Data Protection Officer at

For further information on data protection, please see the University’s webpages and the Information Commissioner’s Office website

[i] Personal data is defined as any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual, who can identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that individual.



Additional guidance if a student makes a report to you

There is further information you may want to review. If the report made to you is related to:


Which of the following best describes the situation your report relates to:

Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means that undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the individual.

Harassment is unwanted conduct related to a protected characteristic, such as race, which has the purpose or effect of violating an individual’s dignity.

Stalking is related to harassment and is a pattern of repeated unwanted behaviour which causes the victim to feel distressed. It may include, for example, following a person, watching or spying on a person, or forcing contact with a person through any means, including social media.

Relationship abuse is abuse carried out by a current or previous partner within an intimate relationship. It can be physical, sexual, or emotional abuse and includes a range of behaviours.

Sexual harassment is any unwanted behaviour of a sexual nature that an individual finds offensive or which makes them feel distressed, intimidated or humiliated.

Sexual violence is defined as a sexual act committed against someone without that person's freely given consent. This includes completed or attempted acts.

Discrimination means treating a person unfairly because of who they are or because they possess certain characteristics, such as sex or race.

Victimisation means treating someone badly or subjecting then to a detriment because they complain about discrimination or help someone who has been the victim of discrimination.

Are you reporting on behalf of yourself or somebody else?

How are you/ the person who has been affected by the issue connected to the University?

Please indicate if you/ the person who has been affected by the issue believes they have been targeted because of any of the following (optional):

Is there anything else you would like to add?

please provide details

If you submit your contact details, a member of the University staff will contact you. They will explain the support we can provide and the options available to you.

You can also submit a report anonymously but if you do, we will not be able to:

  • Contact you (or the individual you are submitting a report for) in order to provide support
  • Investigate the report
  • Take any form of disciplinary action