Research Planning and Strategy Committee Remit
The remit of the Research Planning and Strategy Committee (RPSC) focuses on research and knowledge exchange activity across the University as a whole. The Committee reports to Senate and SMG and meets approximately every two months. It is chaired by the Vice-Principal (Research).
The sub-committees of RPSC currently include the PGR Executive Committee and the Research Culture and Careers Group.
Membership of RPSC
- The Principal
- Vice Principal (Research) (Chair)
- Dean of Research for each College
- Dean of Graduate Studies for each College
- Selected staff from each College*
- Head of Research Support Office
- Executive Director of Research & Innovation
- Head of Commercialisation
- Lay Member of Court
- Research Staff Representative
- President of the Students Representative Council
- VP Corporate Engagement & Innovation
* The 'selected staff' do not serve on a representative basis but are selected by the Convener for their ability to consider and contribute to issues from a University perspective. This selection is made in consultation with relevant Heads of College having regard to ensuring diversity on committees.
The remit of the Research Planning and Strategy Committee is:
- To define, promote and implement the University's Research Strategy and the Impact and Knowledge Exchange Strategy in association with Colleges and other relevant bodies.
- To monitor progress towards the delivery of the University’s Research Strategy and the Impact and Knowledge Exchange Strategy.
- To identify new areas of research, and how they should be developed for the future.
- To make recommendations to the Senior Management Group to enable the delivery of the Research Strategy and the Impact and Knowledge Exchange Strategy.
- To define, promote and implement strategy and policy relating to research students.
- To review and approve new/significantly changed postgraduate research programmes.
- To prioritise the University’s research portfolio and make appropriate recommendations to SMG as required.
- To report to Senate and SMG.