Published: 31 October 2016
A whole host of sessions to encourage women in sport...
From the 07-13 November, University of Glasgow Sport will be taking part in a UK wide campaign called ‘This BUCS Girl Can’. The campaign is in its second year and is a British Universities initiative supported by the Women in Sport campaign ‘This Girl Can’.
The aim of campaign is to encourage and inspire more of our female students and staff to get active and take part in more sport and physical activity.
Over the week, University of Glasgow Sport will be launching:
- Girls Only Tartan Touch drop-in sport session targeting more girls to get involved in rugby
- A series of female only weight sessions in our gym (see 'Learn to lift' below)
- A social media campaign profiling the female bursar athletes and students on our sports programmes
Across the UK statistics show that 53% of female students (742,000) are doing some activity each week compared with 63% of male students (680,400). 520,600 female students do no activity at all compared with 316,000 male students. Outwith the student population and in Scotland only, only 30% of adult women reach the guidelines of a minimum of 30 minutes a day of physical activity.
Try something new
Our challenge to all our female students and staff, is to try something new over this week to help you reach those essential health guidelines; perhaps you could go for walk at lunchtime, take the stairs instead of the lift, or come along and try one of our fitness classes or drop in sport programmes.
If you want to get involved:
- Take a picture of you doing your activity
- Post it using #ThisBUCSGirlCan
- Tag @glasgowunisport.
There are so many ways to get active and we hope that our role models will help inspire you to try something new this week. You can become a role model too and show your peers and family that This Girl Can.
If you have any questions about this campaign or want to get involved, email our Sport Development Manager, Jenny Beedie.
Learn to lift
Book onto one of our 30 minute “Learn to Lift Weights” session via our bookings page.
|Day||Date||Time slot 1||Time slot 2||Time slot 3||Time slot 4|
• Each session can take a maximum of 4 girls, so book early to avoid disappointment
• Bookings cost £2.00 per person
First published: 31 October 2016