University of Glasgow Theses
A collection comprising more than 13,000 University of Glasgow higher degree theses.
What types of thesis are in the collection?
- Most University of Glasgow higher degrees theses (i.e. degrees above Bachelor's level).
- However, please note that dissertations presented for some Master's degrees and Diplomas are held in the relevant university departments and not in the Library.
Are electronic versions of the theses available?
- Many University of Glasgow theses submitted from the academic session 2007/2008 onwards can be accessed as e-theses via the online Glasgow Theses Service.
- Theses held within the Glasgow Theses Service are freely available to all.
- However, not all theses can be made available online as e-theses. Some will be accessible in print format only owing to copyright restrictions; these copies are held by the Special Collections Department for consultation in the Special Collections reading room.
- Please note that where a copy of a thesis is available electronically via the Glasgow Theses Service, the printed copy is not held in Special Collections but in the .
How do I find a thesis submitted before October 2007?
- Theses that have been submitted in printed format only (prior to the online Glasgow Theses Service - i.e. October 2007) are held by the Special Collections Department. This includes a number of old theses dating from the nineteenth century (covering c.1860-1929).
- Some University of Glasgow theses submitted before October 2007 have been digitised and made avalible online via the British Library EThOS service.
- A small number of Town and Regional Planning Department M.Phil. theses are held in the .
Please note that access to theses may be restricted for up to 3 years under the exemptions offered by the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. Any restrictions are clearly noted in the search record: such theses cannot be consulted until the period of restriction expires.
How to find material from the University of Glasgow Thesis Collection
- There are currently over 13,000 theses held in Special Collections: for help in searching for theses, see the Library's Research Skills Finding Theses web page.
- Search for a specific thesis using the thesis search; or browse through a list of theses.
- Search for Post October 2007 e-theses using the Glasgow Thesis Service.
- Search for earlier e-theses using the EThOS service.
- Browse through lists of old theses and Town and Regional Planning theses.