Manuscripts (unnamed collections)
In addition to the manuscripts and archive material found within our named collections, eg MS Hunter, there are over 1400 collections in a general sequence, shelf-marked MS Gen. The material in this ‘collection of collections’ ranges widely in date, format and extent, from individual items through to extensive archive collections comprising hundreds, sometimes thousands, of documents. Examples include:
- papyrus from Roman Egypt (MS Gen 1026)
- 15th century illuminated Book of Hours (MS Gen 288)
- papal bull of Adrian VI, 1523 (MS Gen 531/2)
- collection of Covenanter sermons (MS Gen 32, 1009)
- student lecture notes from the 17th century onwards (MS Gen various)
- large collections of autograph correspondence including letters written by Mozart, Voltaire, Giuseppe Mazzini and Gustav Holst (MS Gen various)
- papers of John, William and Allen Thomson regarding 18th and 19th century medical education and practice (MS Gen 1476)
Most of these collections were acquired as donations.
How to find material in the MS Gen sequence
- Browse a list of the collections by searching for the call number MS Gen in the Manuscripts Collection search.
- Find particular items by searching for the call number MS Gen in the Manuscripts Document search, combined with Word (or Phrase) in Content and relevant limits eg, Year after and before, Language.
The following publications discuss some of the MS Gen collections in more detail:
- Neil R. Ker: Medieval manuscripts in British libraries, vol. 2 (Oxford, 1977), pp. 871-933. Includes more detailed descriptions of manuscripts than are available on the manuscripts search records.
- Jack Baldwin: "Glasgow University Library’s manuscripts: the non-Hunterian collections", The Bibliotheck, 8 (1977), pp. 127-155.
- James Robson: "Catalogue of the oriental manuscripts in the Library of the University of Glasgow", Studia semitica et orientalia, 2 (1945), pp. 116-137.
- Nigel Thorp: The glory of the page: medieval and renaissance illuminated manuscripts from Glasgow University Library (London, 1987). Exhibition catalogue featuring several MS Gen items.
See also these web exhibitions featuring material from the MS Gen collections:
- Papers relating to the families of Muirhead and Watt (16th to 19th centuries) MS Gen 1354 (Book of the Month: May 2009)
- Robert Simson, Mathematical material (Glasgow: 18th Century) MS Gen 1118 and other works (Book of the Month: October 2008)
- Ker family papers mid 19th to early 20th centuries (Book of the month: March 2007)
- Lushington family papers 19th century (Book of the month: October 2006)
- Papers relating to Sixth Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders Loos: 1915. MS Gen 1376 & 532 (Book of the Month: September 2005)
- Gustav Holst: letters to W G Whittaker London: early 20th century. MS Gen 1350 (Book of the month: September 2004)
- Legenda Aurea Bruges: c.1400-1410 MS Gen 1111 (Book of the Month: February 2003)
- Alasdair Gray Papers and Drafts of Lanark: a life in four books (1952-1981) MS Gen 1595 (Book of the Month: May 2002)
- Glasgow University Chemistry Laboratory Christmas Annuals (1863-1869) MS Gen 81 (Book of the Month: December 2001)
- Archbishop James Sharp Letterbook (1660) MS Gen 210 (Book of the Month: November 2001)
- Euclid Geometry (France: c.1480) MS Gen 1115 (Book of the Month: June 2001)
- Armenian Prayer Scroll (Armenia: 1661) MS Gen 1498 (Book of the Month: April 2001)
- Bartoli Drawings after ancient Roman paintings (Rome: 1674) MS Gen 1496 (Book of the Month: May 2000)