Immunity from Seizure
The Hunterian is able to provide immunity from seizure under part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007. This Act provides immunity from seizure for cultural objects which are loaned from overseas to temporary public exhibitions in approved museums or galleries in the UK where conditions are met when the object enters the UK. The Hunterian is an approved museum and gallery.
The conditions for the provision of immunity from seizure are:
- The object is usually kept outside the UK
- It is not owned by a person resident in the UK
- Its import does not contravene any import regulations
- It is brought to the UK for public display in a temporary exhibition at a museum or gallery
- The borrowing museum or gallery is approved under the Act
- The borrowing museum has published information about the object
For further information on immunity from seizure, please refer directly to the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007.
Read The Hunterian's Due Diligence and Incoming Loans Policy.
There are no exhibitions with protected bojects at present.
Previous exhibitions where provenance information was published are: