Translation Studies is an academic discipline that explores the practice, process and product of translation from both linguistic and cultural viewpoints.
At the University of Glasgow, students carry out hands-on translation work as well as exploring the discipline from a theoretical perspective.
Translation practice allows students to explore the features of different genres of text that generally fall into the following categories:
- Literary translation comprising poetry, prose and theatre
- Audiovisual translation such as subtitling and dubbing
- Technical translation focusing on manuals, legal and medical texts
- Journalistic, marketing and PR texts, including advertising, press releases and news articles
- Our students go on to gain jobs in translation agencies, as freelance translators, teachers or in publishing, for example, and some continue in academia by working for a PhD in Translation Studies.