Dr Yahya Gamalaldin
- Research Associate in Computational Social Simulat (Urban Studies)
Yahya Gamal joined the University of Glasgow, Urban Big Data Centre in July 2023 as a Research Associate in social simulations.
Prior to this, Yahya Gamal did a PhD in the University of Manchester. His PhD focused on simulating market procedures and residential location choices using Agent Based Models. He was also a Research Assistant between April 2022 and April 2023 in the Tomorrow's Cities project in both University College London and King's College London. He contributed to developing Agent Based Models to test the effect of road network development for flood resilience on land prices and gentrification.
Yahya Gamal has also been involved in teaching roles in Cairo University, Salford University and the University of Manchester. His teaching involved GIS tools, town planning and decision support systems for urban developers (particularly Agent Based Models).
My research interest lies in computational social simulations of geographical urban systems. I am keen to use social simulations to understand urban systems and to comprehend the underlying reasons for different spatial phenomenon. I am particularly interested in housing and residential location choice - which is interconnected with elements such as transport and mobility.
I am particularly interested in Agent Based Models (ABMs) as tools to simulate decisions that lead to spatial outcomes. I am interested in issues around comprehending/analysing outcomes of ABMs, and I am also interested in discussions around the accuracy and uncertainty of outcomes of ABMs.
Professional activities & recognition
Selected international presentations
- 2022: Dynamic Days Europe 2022 (Aberdeen, UK)
- 2021: ECTQG (Manchester, UK)
- 2021: GAMA Days (Paris, France)
- 2019: AESOP 18th Meeting: Games for Cities (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2019: ECTQG (Mondorf-les-Bains, Luxembourg)
- 2019: Healthy Cities (Manchester, UK)
Papers Under Review:
- Gamal, Yahya. Pinto, Nuno. Iossifova, Deljana. Under Review. “Land Use Agent Based Models: A Review” In Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation.
- Gamal, Yahya. Pinto, Nuno. Iossifova, Deljana. Under Review. “An Agent-Based Model Incorporating Procedural Utility for Residential Location Choice” In Journal of Geographical Systems