Professor Ray Stokes
- Chair of Business History (Economic & Social History)
- 20th century German business and economic history
- History of technology and innovation in national and international context
- Impact of state and military on industry and technology
- Business and the environment
- Editor-in-chief, Journal of Business History/Zeitschrift für Untenehmensgeschichte, January 2008 to present
- Co-editor, Routledge International Studies in Business History, 2005 to present
- Secretary and Member of Council, European Business History Association, 2006 to present
- Treasurer and Member of Council, Association of Business Historians, 2006 to 2009
- Member of Executive Committee, British Archives Council Scotland, 2007 to present
- Management Board, Europe-Asia Studies, April 2006 to present
- Prize Jury, German Business History Association, summer 2001 to end of 2007
- Editorial Advisory Board, German History, 1996 to 2006
- Editorial Advisory Board, Ambix, September 2002 to present
- University of Frankfurt, Chair of Economic and Social History
- Society for Business History (Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte), Frankfurt
"Constructing the waste management business in the United Kingdom and West Germany, 1945 to the early 1990s", Economic and Social Research Council, September 2007-August 2010.
International collaborative project on "The history of the international industrial gases industry", Linde Group (to support a PhD studentship), 2007-2010
Ongoing funding from the William Lind Foundation and the Ballast Trust in support of the activities of the Centre for Business History in Scotland
- Business history
- History of technology
- Environmental history
- Economic and industrial history
- History of higher education
- International or comparative approaches to any of the above
Current research students
- "An Analysis of Global Trade in National Socialist Memorabilia"
- "Economic Development and the Provision of Transport Services in Remote Districts of Scotland, 1945-ca. 1980"
- "The Political Economy of the British Naval Arms Industry, 1905-1939"
John Campbell Wilson
- "A History of the UK Renewable Eenrgy Programme, 1974-1988: Some social, political, and economic aspects"
William Lee Young
Past research students
- "A tale of two states: a comparative study of higher education reform and its effects on economic growth in East and West Germany 1945 - 1989"
- "Secrets of Success: The development of obstetric ultrasound in Scotland, 1963-1990"
- The rhetoric of Americanisation: social construction and the British computer industry in the Post-World War II period
- "The optical munitions industry in Great Britain 1888-1923"
- Economic & Social History 1A: Industrial and social change, 1750-1914
- Economic & Social History 1B: Economic and social change since 1914
- World War II: Economy & Society
- Industry & Innovation: International Perspectives
- German Big Business in the 20th Century
- Economic Growth in the 20th Century
- Research theme courses for MSc in Contemporary Economic History
- Managing Across Cultures and Cross-Cultural Management (in the MSc in International Management and Entrepreneurship in the Business School)
- Managing Innovation and Technology Transfer (Business School)
- Co-Convenor, Postgraduate Taught Programmes, School of Social and Political Sciences