Dr Qunshan Zhao
- Lecturer in Urban Analytics (Urban Studies)
Dr. Qunshan Zhao joined the University of Glasgow in May 2019 as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Urban Analytics in Urban Studies and Urban Big Data Centre (UBDC) in the School of Social and Political Sciences. He holds both Ph.D. and M.A. in Geography/GIScience from the Arizona State University in the USA and a B.E. in Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, and GIS from the Wuhan University in China. Prior to coming to the UK, he was a postdoctoral research associate in the Knowledge Exchange for Resilience (KER) and Spatial Analysis Research Center (SPARC) at the Arizona State University.
Curriculum Vitae: CV_QunshanZhao_Mar2021
More detailed information can be found on his personal website.
Qunshan's research interest focuses on creating a sustainable urban future and tackling related social, economic, and environmental problems by using new forms of data and related analytical approaches including GIScience (geographic information systems, remote sensing, and spatial analysis), machine learning/statistics, operations research, sensor networks, and urban climate modeling and instrumentation.
Ongoing research efforts include urban infrastructure location optimization (urban green infrastructure; alternative refueling stations location modeling), human-environment interactions (human mobility patterns in urban/natural spaces), urban resilience and fuel poverty (fuel poverty and housing energy evaluation), and 3D spatial analytical methodology development (3D urban landscape change index, 3D tree shade coverage optimization).
- Geographic Information Science
- Remote Sensing
- Spatial Analysis
- Machine Learning
- Urban Climate Modeling and Instrumentation
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Urban Sensor Network
Twitter - @QunshanZhao
- 2019-2022. Co-I. Urban Big Data Centre Data Service Extension. Economic and Social Science Council (ESRC), United Kingdom (total £2.7m).
- 2019-2022. PI. Data Lab MSc Scholarship. Scottish Funding Council and European Social Fund (10 MSc Scholarship in total).
- 2019-2022. Co-I. Ventilation based Planning Methods to Respond Urban Haze Supported by Multi-source Spatial-temporal Big Data. National Nature Science Foundation of China.
- 2017. PI. Optimizing Tree Locations and Arrangement for Mitigating Urban Heat Island Effects and Improving Human Thermal Comfort in a Hot Arid Urban Residential Environment. Dissertation Research Grant, American Association of Geographers.
I am very happy to supervise PhDs and host Visiting Students/Scholars in:
- New Forms of Urban Big Data and Urban Analytics
- GIScience and Spatial Analysis (Spatial Statistics and Optimization)
- Human Dynamics and Mobility Patterns
- Urban Remote Sensing and Urban Climate Modeling
Please email me your updated CV and 1-page research plan if you are interested.
I am currently supervising the following Postdoc researchers and Ph.D. students:
Understanding Urban Mobility with Mobile Phone App Data
Housing Sensors Enhanced Survey
- Niantang Liu (with Dr. Brian Barrett and Dr. Richard Williams) - A Deep Convolutional Neural Network-based framework For Crop Classification on High-Resolution Radar & Multispectral Imagery
- Henry Ibitolu (with Dr. Chris Beckett and Prof. Sean Smith in the University of Edinburgh) - A Multiscale Evaluation of Sustainable Earthen Materials for Mitigating Urban Heat Island Effects and Energy Use Reduction in Future Cities
- Ziying Guo (with Dr. John Xiaogang Shi)
- Big Data and Urban Analytics (Course Convener, Fall)
- Programming Tools for Urban Analytics (Course Convener, Spring)
- Urban Analytics Group Projects (Course Convener, Fall/Spring)
- Quantitative Data Analysis (Course Tutor, Fall 2019)
- Social & Public Policy 2B: Policy, Politics, and Power (Course Contributor, Spring)
- Big Data, Policy & Power (Course Contributor, Spring)
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2018: An outstanding paper based upon a recent dissertation in geography, American Association of Geographers (J. Warren Nystrom Award)
- 2017: Dissertation Research Grant, American Association of Geographers
- 2016: Imagery Grant, DigitalGlobe Foundation
- 2016: Imagery Grant, European Space Agency
- 2018 - 2019: Guest Editor, Remote Sensing, Remote Sensing of Urban Ecology and Sustainability (with Elizabeth A. Wentz)
- 2019 - 2020: Guest Editor, Annals of GIS, GIS and Urban Data Science (with Dr. Yijing Li and Dr. Chen Zhong)
Professional & learned societies
- 2018 - 2021: Board member, Spatial Analysis and Modeling Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers
Selected international presentations
- 2021: School of Engineering Seminar (Newcastle University, UK)
- 2020: SAD 2020 Spatial Analytics + Data Seminar Series 2020 (Newcastle University, UK)
- 2019: Building a Future for the Urban Analytics Blueprints, the Alan Turing Institute (University of Bristol, UK)
- 2019: NERC Constructing a Digital Environment Workshop (Edinburgh, UK)
- 2019: Laboratory of Systems Pharmacology and Center for Geographic Analysis, Harvard University (Boston, USA)
- 2018: J. Warren Nystrom Award Presentation, American Association of Geographers (New Orleans, USA)
Qunshan's doctoral dissertation, Evaluating the Effectiveness of Tree Locations and Arrangements for Improving Urban Thermal Environment (Link: QunshanZhao_Dissertation), received the J. Warren Nystrom Award from the American Association of Geographers (AAG) as one of the most outstanding research papers, based upon a recent dissertation in 2018.
Qunshan serves as the Associate Director of UBDC starting in 2020 and leads the Urban Sensing and Analytics work package. He also convenes the MSc Urban Analytics Programme (MSc student achievements can be found here).
Qunshan is also serving as the Board Member of the Spatial Analysis and Modeling Specialty Group (SAM) at AAG from 2018-2021.