Dr Jing Yao
- Lecturer (Urban Studies)
Download CV: CV_JingYao
Dr Jing Yao (姚 静) joined University of Glasgow as a lecturer in Urban Big Data and Quantitative Methods at the UK ESRC-funded Urban Big Data Centre in October, 2014. She has a PhD in Geography and a MSc in Industrial Engineering both from Arizona State University (ASU), USA. She also has a MSc degree and a BSc degree in Geographical Information System (GIS) from Nanjing University, China. Previously she worked as a postdoctoral associate at GeoDa Center for Geospatial Analysis and Computation at ASU in the US and a research fellow at Centre for Geoinformatics at University of St Andrews in UK.
Jing’s research interests cover a wide range of areas in geographic information science, including spatial analysis, spatial statistics, spatial modeling, and spatial optimization, etc. Currently, she focuses on developing quantitative methods for spatially integrated analysis and modeling and particularly their applications in social science and health research. Also, she is interested in spatial optimization and decision making, including facility location modeling, regionalization and land use optimization.
- Geographical Information Science
- Spatial Statistics
- Spatial Optimization
- Location Modeling
- Health Geography
- Regional Science
- Urban and Regional Planning and development
- 2019-2024. Co-Investigator. Urban Big Data Centre. ESRC.
- 2017-2021. Co-Investigator. GCRF Centre for Sustainable, Healthy, and Learning Cities and Neighbourhoods (SHLC). GCRF Research Councils UK Collective Fund.
- 2017-2019. Co-Investigator. EuroGEOSS-Hub: the European approach to Data Hub for GEOSS. Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Framework Programme. European Commission.
- 2016. Postdoctoral and Early Career Researcher Exchanges Funds. Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society.
- 2016-2019. Co-Investigator. The Re-Making of Chinese Urban Neighbourhoods: Socio-Spatial Transformation and Access to Public Services. ESRC.
- 2015. Glasgow-Nankai Research Exchange Grant.
- 2013-2015. Principal Investigator. Spatial Optimization Approaches for Solving the Continuous multi‐Weber Problem. National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 2013-2015. Co-Investigator. Continuous Geographic Physical Process Model and its Integration with GIS. National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 2018 - : Mr Weicong Luo,
- 2018 - 2019: Mr Yuhao Jin (visiting student from Sun Yat-sen University from China)
- 2016.12-2017.12, Dr Xuemei Bi, the Center of Earthquake Emergency Technical Support, Earthquake Administration of Jiangsu, China
- 2016.1, Prof. Jing Wang, Wuhan University, China
- Social Science Statistics I
- Social Science Statistics II
- Principles and Applications of GIS
- Researching the City: Spatial Approaches
- Fundamentals of Transport (co-taught)
- International Real Estate Analysis (co-taught)
Training Courses at Urban Big Data Centre
- Introduction to R
- Introduction to R for Spatial Analysis
- Using R: Statistical Analysis
- International Regional Science Review
- Geographical Analysis
- International Journal of Geographical Information Science
- Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science
- Journal of the Operational Research Society
- The Annals of Regional Science
- Applied Geography
Professional Society Membership
- Association of American Geographers
- Regional Science Association International
- Western Regional Science Association
- Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society